Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online?

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: [Request] Longer duration for lessons 1/40

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-05-01 12:59
I've restarted the lessons after a hiatus of a few months.

I think it would be a good idea to give an option for longer lessons. At the moment the max duration is only 5 minutes but it would be nice if 10 or 15 minutes session were available.

What is your opinion?

Posted: 2018-05-06 18:01
You're a masochist! :)
Are you expecting to need to copy 15 minute "overs" in the real world? I get a cramp just thinking about it.

Posted: 2018-05-06 21:32
KK6TMN:
Are you expecting to need to copy 15 minute "overs" in the real world? I get a cramp just thinking about it.

What have the "overs" got to do with a practice session? Do you agree or not that a practice session of 5 minutes (in reality it's less, as previously reported) is a bit short?

Posted: 2018-05-07 01:15
I prefer one minute...like 60 times in a row! So each "practice session" is about the length of an "over", followed by a celebration and and leveling up if I got 90%+ or a cursing (and valuble)look at the letters I missed. In the real world I would be keying up during this "off" time which is WAY easier than copying. I tried 5 mins when I first started and my hand (and brain) cramped and I quit after 2 weeks. What real world application would you use 15 minutes of strait copying...are you a spy? :)

Posted: 2018-05-07 11:18
KK6TMN:

Lolol Mel. I'm with you 100pc on this one. Even a minute in those lessons often seemed like 15 to me!

Posted: 2018-05-07 12:11
But you still have the option to set it to one minute. Why do you want to take somebody else's opportunity just because it doesn't fit you?

But I get one can do multiple sessions and that's what I'll do.

It would only take a couple of line of code fixes backend to increase duration, though.

Posted: 2018-05-07 13:49
Ottavio:
Why do you want to take somebody else's opportunity just because it doesn't fit you?

Did I mention anywhere that I wanted to take someone else's opportunity?? You asked for an opinion and you got one. You didn't say you only wanted opinions that are the same as your own.

I am full of admiration for anyone who can manage 15 minutes of those practice lessons and wish you well in your progress.

Posted: 2018-05-07 15:37
Well I agree Ottavio, you should have the right to torture yourself...look into the G4FON Koch trainer where you can fry your brain for a full 60 minutes at a time! With an S1 signal and an S9 noise floor for true "pleasure!"

Maybe the designers here are trying to save you from yourself. If you don't give your brain a little hiatus every few minutes it will take one anyway...for a few weeks or months...maybe you have noticed?

Posted: 2018-05-08 12:41
Mel, maybe that's just your sense of humour, but, as we don't really know each other so long and you have just signed up to the site, may I please ask you not to take too many liberties with me?

Statements such as:

"You're a masochist! :) "
"are you a spy? :) "
"Maybe the designers here are trying to save you from yourself."

are not really helpful. I doubt such language would be tolerated on air, unless on a local ragchew with friends.

Posted: 2018-05-08 17:01
Yes it was all in fun. My apologies; most forums I visit are very informal and humor is the norm. However it was fun with a purpose. If I saw someone at the gym who like me was just beginning and was doing 20 sets of squats with 300 lbs and they asked me what I thought about the barbells not handling 600 lbs I might joke about how sore they're going to be the next day, and at the same time be very curious why they want to squat 600 lbs!

I truly am curious in your case and I truly am trying to help. Is English your second language maybe? I know humor sounds completely different in my second language.

So seriously, give G4FON Koch Trainer a try. I believe it will serve your purposes and can be made as difficult as any real world scenario I can imagine. I will just have to imagine to myself what real world scenario you are training for.

And truly I am impressed that you train with 5 minute intervals. I was not joking when I said I would quit if I did the same (I already have several times!)

Peace.

Posted: 2018-05-08 17:21
Alright, no problem Mel. I appreciate your gesture.

I'm Italian but I've lived in Britain for too long.

It's probably my second British nature more than my first Italian language that makes me cringe at over-the-top humour. (But now I've offended the Brits! You see, it's a never ending chain).

As per CW trainer, I think I've found my nirvana in morse/morse classic (see my other post:
https://lcwo.net/forum/1672/Morse-classic-Linux-a-crude-but-effective-Morse-Trainer )

It is very crude, but highly configurable. With the help of some redditors I've developed some simple scripts to generate text files out of a string of characters and I feed then to the program, so I can train myself. Can post scripts if requested.

Screenshot here:
https://i.imgur.com/R8btQZC.png

Posted: 2018-05-08 19:08
Aha, I guess the "loudmouth American" comes in all forms. Who knew, I am one at the keyboard!

I'll take a look at at that program, though I am determined to see LCWO through to level 40. I've jumped around a lot and every program has helped a bit, but a year later and I'm not on the air yet.

...and I must ask reddit re my current dilemma with Android keyboard.(https://lcwo.net/forum/1675/Custom-Android-keyboard)

A presto!

Posted: 2018-05-27 16:46
I think a longer practice section could help with concentration.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $