Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online?

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: New CW Beginner Practice Group

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-04-08 03:37
The LCWO platform is a fantastic resource for learning International Morse and sharpening receiving skills. A local group of ours started using a free Internet voice chat service to practice human-to-human code... The kind of practice LCWO can't really provide as a platform. Inspired by CW Academy, and the success of Dave Casler's (KE0OG) "learn the letters" live-stream style videos on YouTube, we thought there might be interest in a global community for those trying to learn the code.

We would like to invite everyone to join us. We are using Discord, which is a chat service originally designed for computer gamers. The platform works well with code, something other platforms struggle with due to latency and audio compression. It is well supported in the browswer, a desktop app, and with mobile apps. It isn't perfect, but it's the best platform we've found so far for this kind of "ad-hoc" audio practice.

We hold daily practice sessions at 7:30pm Pacific time (0230 UTC). However, the platform is always on and always available to whomever would like to use it. This is the general process:

0) Follow this link: https://discord.gg/sP48awC
1) Sign-up for a Discord account. Recommend you use your call as the username.
2) Connect a mic up, hold it by your practice oscillator or keyer.
3) Join in the text chat, try to drum up some people to jump in to a voice channel.
4) Practice CW, or just ragchew about whatever. It is not formal.

Think of this like a little CW Internet oasis for those learning the code. You guys sending 30wpm probably will be bored. The new OPS who are learning basic QSOs might find it quite useful. You'll get the most out of practicing with a human if you go through the LCWO lessons first.

Posted: 2018-04-09 00:14
Unfortunately it requires iOS9 and earlier… Don't want to update and turn my apple devicies into pumpkins. :)

Posted: 2018-04-09 23:05
Blind people have no access.

Just for an auditive communication channel!

Posted: 2018-04-11 04:20
Oh dear, that's sad. Many start-ups, strapped for cash, seem to put accessibility dead last in terms of priority. I wish that would change. I do see a feature request on the Discord site asking them to add accessibility features. Because Discord's primary market are hard-core gamers, I wonder if they feel that somehow limits the number of users who might care about accessibility.

Posted: 2018-04-12 07:06
just to ask,
what's wrong with cwcom? https://morsepower.blogspot.it/
I tried once, but I'm not ready for a qso, especially in English because I have to translate "on the fly" from Italian to English to cw...

Posted: 2018-04-14 15:29
iu2hds

Wrong is that you have to have RS232 to USB converters, soldering ratstail cable and I didn't read what further in order to find out, if or not that site suits your expectations.

Just like using a key from a keyboard as Morse key is the wrong way.
The proposal of N2OW is use a third party speech channel and your key with whatever makes beeping sound when you press it, and it will work. No soldering no tinkering.

Remember nowadays the radio amateurs are in general not tinkering but purchasing their equipment, with guarantee, which is void when they start thinking and do it yourself.

Unless the speech channel has too much time-delay or interruptions it is OK, You even are able to add noise and QRM with your sending.

Posted: 2018-04-14 16:07
@brushupCW
who do not has RS232 to USB converters nowdays ?
Non need to solder, just put wire into holes ... HI

Seriously ok, I understand.

Posted: 2018-04-16 01:46
Our group wanted to make it easier for people to join. Our most recent numbers show that about 60% of Internet traffic originates from mobile devices. Getting an RS232 adapter working on an iPhone is quite the trick, let alone finding software that will support it. The Discord platform works well with mobile devices. Free clients are available for Andriod and iPhone. Discord is intended for use by computer gamers. These folks need high-quality communication with as little delay as possible. It works perfectly for CW practice. I'd say the real-life latency is about 500-1000ms.

I'd like to add some thoughts to what brushupCW was mentioning regarding tinkering. I believe there is more experimentation happening now than at any other time in amateur radio history. Modern electronics are surface mounted, and largely microprocessor driven. Technicians have moved on from messing about with a complex array of transistors and capacitors in favor of Arduino and Raspberry Pi mini-computers. About 90% of the experimentation can now be done in software. In many cases text editors replace what a soldering iron used to do, can do it faster, and produces a project others can download.

Arduino and RPi are just the tip of the iceberg. The "maker" movement is gigantic. 3D printers have added another layer of capability. Software-defined radios are revolutionizing the radio landscape. It won't be long until just about every radio sold is an SDR. Gnu Radio is a fantastic platform, totally open to experimentation. Github has hundreds of ham radio related software projects there, including over 2,000 projects related to Morse code.

I believe we are in midst of a modern radio revolution, unseen since the days of Marconi. Mobile is changing everything. No one could have predicted it would only take 117 years to go from the first radio broadcasts to billions of people on the planet all carrying not just one radio, but several... In their pockets!

Posted: 2018-04-16 17:16
Ryan I checked their Privacy policy,

No deal.

May be, an idea for DJ1YFK, looks to me a much more reliable person, to open a teamspeak server function in the way you describe.

Certainly I will not be available on the by you mentioned site to help people with slow Morse code and giving hints to them to improve their proficiency.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $