Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Just venting...

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-04-01 15:03
Now on lesson 15 and going insane. Have done so many attempts and not even got close to finishing one lesson yet. Have not had anything like this problem up to now. Seems I am forgetting an extra character with each attempt at this lesson!

Posted: 2018-04-01 19:55
OK,

Understand when you progress and you even do yhat even faster faster than I did in a previous life here, as digged up out of this website dungeons demonstrates :

https://lcwo.net/img/kochf73a559c51613ce41d23c529bef3a2fd.gif

that in lesson 15 you learn your 16 th character and the frequency of occurence in a set of 1 minute is pretty small.

Two things:
1. When you learn a new character, it seems that the performance in already learned characters degrades sincerely. That is temporary and the reason you have to repeat a lesson till you score 90% or higher.

2. Remember the advice: go over to 20/2 and when over 90% in lesson 15 go to 20/3 and so on in lesson 15 till 20/N with N probably 5 in your habit.

Furthermore you can exercise with Morse Machine on this website, that yields you just the amount of time you need to decode, and during exercising that goes downwards.

Posted: 2018-04-01 21:14
Just my opinion,just do dome practice each day, I remember when learning an instrument, there where good days and days when I just couldn't exercise my learned skills although I had progressed a lot. I think just reminding the mind with some repetitions is still beneficial, even though you may not feel so.

Posted: 2018-04-02 11:28
chairphone - thank you for your response. I did actually follow your earlier advice with this lesson and got up to 20/4 last night, where I gave up (having spent more than an hour on this wretched lesson!). I really don't like slowing it down and feel very annoyed with myself (despite your kind words).

The thing is, I already know the entire alphabet, having learned it on another site a couple of days before finding this one. So it's not a problem with a new character as such - or perhaps that's why when a "new" character comes up I forget the whole previous alphabet!!

So today is another day and I'm about to tackle this demon 15 again :)

Thank you for your support.

Posted: 2018-04-02 11:32
garland - thanks for your response. I agree that it is essential to practice every day and I have in fact been doing that, probably far more than is advised by the experts and perhaps that is part of my problem, but I really don't like to be beaten when I start something! Hope you are getting on well in your own efforts :)

Posted: 2018-04-02 12:38
You hardly can exercise too much; in the military service 50 years ago or so in intercept courses. They were all day 8 hours decoding and sending morse code. The admission required above that an aptitude test.

Keep trying lesson 15/5 and/or Morse machine.

Another generally known experience is that the time of the day is of influence on the ability to decode on your max speed. And you may have a bad day too.

OK you know all the characters, but knowing is something else like decoding. The brain must be wired for the decoding process and when you add a character to decode, the wiring is obviously not optimal, oartially broken down and rebuild.

This is my theory for the well know fact that adding a character to the fast decoding process, degenerates the already previously used characters,

That disadvantage of the learning method on this website should be prevented by learning and exercising all the characters together, BUT in that case you start using gimmick stories as we talked about before, which is highly undesirable.

Posted: 2018-04-02 14:00
turk - yes I absolutely agree that knowing the characters is one thing and decoding them is entirely another. It is so frustrating!

Your last para - just wondering, do you think it would be better (or not) for me to do just that, exercise decoding the entire alphabet? (No gimmicks!) And if so, where can I do that on this site? Your brain theory makes a lot of sense to me, and if it is correct it would seem I am using a lot of time continually rewiring my brain when I could perhaps be progressing more smoothly with all the characters. Which is what I had started to do on the ARRL site before I found LCWO as I previously told you, using their 5wpm code archives and managing to get down a lot of it.

So were you doing that 8 hours a day in the military? I guess that kind of training soon sorted out the men from the boys! And here I was thinking my couple of hours a day was putting in the hard yards....

Posted: 2018-04-02 14:17
The point is that you HAVE to prevent counting dits and using story gimmicks, you know what I mean by that, Dutch "ezelsbruggetje" English translation according to google... mnemonic. In my opinion mnemonic is something else in assembly (computer)language, but OK.

Decoding and mnemonics are not compatible, You have to exercise sound patterns, decoding on keyboard but preferable with pen on paper, or wet sand with your finger or what have you, and later on, as fast as possible, composing words in your mind without external any aid.

I think my rewiring theory is correct but there is hardly if any alternative. Because when you use whole the learned set of 40 characters at once you ARE EXERCISING your "mnemonics" and THAT IS REALLY A DISASTER because you will meet speed ceilings that are unbreakable.

Remember that MorseMachine on this website allows you to use mnemonics and prevents exersising pipelining in your mind which is necessary for any normal transmission speed.

So best thing to do, according to my opinion is go on with lesson 15 at speed 20/5 or 15/5 what you took as your passing boundary, and exercise each day for a week or so.

And remember, as an intelligent guy, it is good that our creator shows you your own boundaries in order to go back to feeling humiliarized, May be the reason you were anyway put on the Morse code trail.

And, Oh yes, do not forget that the ARRL 5 wpm exercises are character speed 15 wpm AND 5 wpm throughput and here 15/5 are 8,5 words per minute throuhput

@[deleted] my learning curve:
https://lcwo.net/img/koch9934c4313975693a105b4bbc2efaa6b8.gif

Posted: 2018-04-02 15:54
turk - thank you again for your kind advice, which I value and respect. So I will plod on with the lessons, if only out of curiosity to know which will come first - lesson 16 or a neural meltdown.

If there is indeed a creator, I do hope he/she didn't put me on the Morse trail simply to feel humiliated at reaching my boundaries, but rather to inspire me to break through them and discover what I am really capable of ;)

And this is why all of us beginners on here are so privileged to be able to benefit from the advice and experience of all you "old pro's" and hopefully follow in your footsteps.

Thanks again.

Posted: 2018-04-02 17:58
You will succeed. I am sure, because you do not use an airplane to fly and because only perseverance is required in order to allow the brain to construct the right connections; takes some time - more then you like - but even G8TMV succeeded after 5 years on this website to complete the 20/5 course of 40 lessons. Moving with the relative speed of continents to each other, to success.

In the by [deleted] recalled dungeons I found back the honouring in this website forum for his demonstrated extreme perseverance.

Well concerning our creator: Can't possibly be a he or a she, because that implies genetical prosecution and not necessarely and even highly undesirably when you are the Leader, the boss and the eternal.

As far as I know [deleted] and surely I, are not professional telegraphists. I can drive an automobile and I am allowed by government to do that after an examination, but that does not mean that I am a professional car-driver. So DJ1YFK is an electrical engineer at university level, owner and administrator and designer of this website, but (lucky for him) not a professional telegrapher.

Concerning the fact that you passed lesson 9:
Go to "words" exercises adjust the parameters to
15/15 or such, limit the words to lesson 15 characters and to a short length to start with, say 3 or 4 characters,

Start exercising and copy in your head. Do not type down before you copied the whole word in your head and after that - when you think you are sure - type the word down. When you are not sure repeat the word till you are sure.

That is the way to do it.

Posted: 2018-04-03 13:08
"but even G8TMV succeeded after 5 years on this website to complete the 20/5 course of 40 lessons....."

Lol, sounds like my kind of guy!
My full admiration and respect to [deleted].

"As far as I know [deleted] and surely I, are not professional telegraphists....."

To an English born speaker, "old pro" is also used metaphorically as a compliment or recognition of someone's level of achievement, as in pro-ficient and not just pro-fessional. So credit where credit is due - accept the compliment! (And "old" similarly refers to "established" and is not necessarily referring to your age :D)

Many thanks for the ongoing helpful advice. Words sound infinitely more friendly than the 5 character demons of the lessons. Presumably also there is a predictive element to words which is helpful when you get left behind :) Speaking of getting left behind, is it okay to adjust your 15/15 to perhaps 15/....4 or 5 to begin??

Yes, perhaps in our creator there are no he/she genetics, just dits and dahs.

Posted: 2018-04-03 13:23
I already love the "words" :)

Posted: 2018-04-03 13:53
As far as I know, words are regular Morse code, so 20 is 20/20 and 15 is 15/15
So better not to exercise them below 15. Limitaation of length and repetitiond till sure are OK.

Select fixed speed. otherwise the speed is increased with each correct word, and will turn you nuts, like I myself experienced last week.

Posted: 2018-04-03 14:01
turk:

Select fixed speed. otherwise the speed is increased with each correct word, and will turn you nuts, like I myself experienced last week.

Yes I found this out for myself at 23wpm - OMG!

Posted: 2018-04-03 22:09
Try listening to some Mozart for a few minutes before your next session.

Posted: 2018-04-05 16:24
Feeling low. Can't get P virtually every time and Z a close second. Have lowered character speed to 18 :(

Posted: 2018-04-05 18:43
Character speed is not that important. You have to lower it anyway in order to close the long spaces gap.
Advanced to lesson 21 in 9 days, anyway beating at least 99% of the starters.

Posted: 2018-04-06 10:31
Thank you so much! Your encouragement is really appreciated :) Hoping for a better day today.

Posted: 2018-04-09 15:34
Now hit a solid brick wall at lesson 30. Many hours today with zero success after a great day yesterday, and now virtually every character is just whistling past my ears with no recognition whatsoever. It's like my brain has shut down and hung a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door :(

Posted: 2018-04-09 16:10
You write "after many hours". It is written in many places throughout this forum that lessons of 15 to 30 minutes or until fatiqued is good. I found after about 45 minutes I was back to counting dots and struggling. For many of us it is a "slow dip brew" from our short term memory to long term memory. I look forward to the progress I discover after a break of a few days or even a week. The short term memory fades and the long term steps up to the task. I suggest 2-4 15min a day or so sessions with a couple of days off per week.

One size does'nt fit all, this helped me once I figured it out.

Posted: 2018-04-09 16:17
Thanks for your advice Hamilton. I'm like a dog with a bone when I get started on something, but think I probably overdid it a bit today!

Posted: 2018-04-09 22:28
When you try training for walking or running in a short time, your skin and muscles become hurt and have damage.
When you proceed, with hurted muscles and skin your progress is even lowering instead of increasing.

When you take a nap, and a short time off in order your body to allow repair, your progress is tremendous., because your body recognises that it has to rebuild stronger in order to prevent the damage.

So. my opinion and hypothesis, with the brain.

And YOU have to wait for mederation.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $