Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (28)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: I’m getting there

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-03-27 23:05
Hello all, thanks for this excellent website. In the past I have tried several times to learn CW but I have given up or lost interest due to wanting to run before I could walk. I wanted success and I wanted it now.
An eight week CW course run at Otley A.R.S in a relaxed atmosphere (there were mistakes by all CW trainees that were laughed off and we carried on) combined with me using the G4FON Koch trainer has helped greatly. Then I find this excellent website and I feel like I’m finally getting somewhere. When I’m out I also use car number plates and read them in CW in my head.
Being a QRP operator it is without doubt CW will benefit me. Also for my SOTA activations too. I aim to activate a SOTA summit this year using CW.

Thanks again and hope to work some of you soon using CW.

73 Chris M0RSF

Posted: 2018-03-28 12:29
Hi Chris,

Welcome on this website since nov 2017.

You can do 2 things, dependent on your personal feelings: wanting instant satisfaction or fun:

a) take a very very low effective speed in the lessons. In that case you proceed pretty fast through the course and you learn distinguishing the sound pattern of the latin characters and arabic figures ASAP. Not bad.

b) Use a somewhat higher effective speed, I suggest 5 wpm, proceed slower through the lessons, but when you finish lesson 40 you may according to the recipe BrushupCW suggested in https://lcwo.net/forum/1521 by closing the wide space gap go to some too low speed real Morse code when you maintain your average effective speed at 2.3 wpm which you use right now.

When you want a personilized guidance by me, or want to get a recipe for reaching your final speed, when you finish lesson 40 with speed n/m with n=character speed and m=effective speed according to the implicit definition on this website: apply for membership of the user group [deleted] on this website https://lcwo.net/usergroups/287

55=30

Posted: 2018-03-28 22:04
I have been given lots of advice regarding CW. I have tried different things and filtered out the trash. The best advice I was given was learn the characters at 15 wpm with gaps between them then reduce the gaps to speed up. Not to learn the characters at a slow pace though no doubt what works for one may not work for another.

72 Chris M0RSF

Posted: 2018-03-29 00:30
OK Chris,

That is not what I meant,

You did 84 exercises in the last 30 days with an average effective speed of 2.1 words per minute.

My advice is to increase that 2.1 average at least to 5. Reread my post carefully pse.

But of course up to you to do what you think is the right way, however when you started this topic and presents your past history, it triggered me to give you the advantages and disadvantages of your selected way of 2.1 wpm effective speed.

55=30

Posted: 2018-03-29 14:11
I will increase the average and give it a go. Any advice greatly relieved thanks.

72 Chris M0RSF

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.