Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (32)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Which Groups to begin with

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-02-12 22:31
Hi,

First of all, I'm new here and to cw as well.

I've done some research (read a few articles, blogs and a book) so this makes me an expert now ;-)

I've read Dave Finley's book "breaking the barrier", G4FON's articles, and am in the process of looking at "Zen and the art of CW"

I plan to use the Koch method, and I plan to use GF4ON's software on my pc, as it seems to have a good reputation and is respected by many folks.

All set there, I have a "pretty good" feel of how I should go about it. I'm cautious as to not make mistakes, I don't want to learn things wrong and then live to regret them.

By looking at the thread above on "what effective speed should I learn at" I get the idea that I should start around 15-20 wpm, any other recommendations about that?

I have a few questions.

1). The authors that I've mentioned have different ideas of the order of which characters to learn. (I can publish these here if it'll help you to answer this).

Is there a recommended protocol that is most effective? I don't want to reinvent the wheel, and really - really respect the wisdom and experience you all, as well as well as the authors.

2). I'm sure the answer is obvious, but what is meant by ie: 20/5? I figure the 20 is copying, is the /5 sending speed?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
kc1ivw

Posted: 2018-02-13 10:49
20 is the speed in words per minute (wpm) of the characters, and 5 is the speed of the spaces between the characters in wpm.

Hence at 20/5 the time between characters is 4 times the the time duration they should be in normal Morse code.

with 20 wpm the dots mark time is 60 millisecond.
When you sent a string of dots, that is equal mark and spacetime, you get just a little more then 8 dots/s

The idea is that you cannot count that fast so you have to recognise a character on the sound pattern.

Posted: 2018-02-13 17:47
Thank you for replying, this makes sense. Any ideas regarding which letter group I should use? I’d like to have some clarity on that.

Posted: 2018-02-13 18:28
Koch original learning sequence was
K M R S U A P T L O W I . N J E F 0 Y ,
V G 5 / Q 9 Z H 3 8 B ? 4 2 7 C 1 D 6 X

LCWO uses this sequence:

K M U R E S N A P T L W I . J Z = F O Y ,
V G 5 / Q 9 2 H 3 8 B ? 4 7 C 1 D 6 0 X

When you plan to use G4FON it is AFAIK possible to select the used characters, so you can pull the sequences equal.
That may be of value when you want to switch from G4FON to LCWO

I should myself construct another sequence, starting with vocals a e i o u and after that the in english most used characters in all english 3 letter words, In that case you are able to receive complete meaningfull words as fast as possible in the course. Rest of the characters in the sequence to construct as many as possible 4 character words, and so on.

Posted: 2018-02-13 21:37
This is helpful. Thank you for your time.

Greg

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.