Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (28)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Thought on mnemonics

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-02-04 22:25
Sorry for the second thread by me, but I forgot to ask in my first.
They say it's not a good habit in a long run to count dits and dahs. Personally counting wouldn't help me much but I use mnemonics and that works fine.
However do people here think that this is also a bad strategy on the long run or will the mnemonics eventually "disappeare" and will the characters speak for them selves, so to speak.

P.s. English is not my native tongue, so apologies for any mistakes.

Posted: 2018-02-05 19:14
Wben I look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li8Hiwbc664

you will see the military - a bulk educator - promote in that introduction mnemonics.

As far as I see using mnemonics may only be helpfull when you learn the whole bunch of code characters in one time.

Normally people learn the code by adding one character when the already learned characters are sufficiently mastered.

So in that case and on this website mnemonics are senseless.

Posted: 2018-02-05 20:10
Angela,

Would recommend against mnemonics. In you native language, when a person says the work for "spoon" to you, you dont use a mnemonic to decode the sound. The item or concept is there in your head immediately from the sound alone. Believe that the goal is to get to the point where the sound of "J" in Morse immediately triggers the idea/concept of the letter "J" in your head.

Posted: 2018-02-05 21:39
Great video Ideletedl. And I'll try to loose the mnemonics.

Posted: 2018-02-06 02:02
angela69:

They say it's not a good habit in a long run to count dits and dahs. Personally counting wouldn't help me much but I use mnemonics and that works fine.
However do people here think that this is also a bad strategy on the long run or will the mnemonics eventually "disappeare" and will the characters speak for them selves, so to speak.

In the olden days, people used to learn dots and dashes - a process which can be speeded up by using various aides memoir including mnemonics.

Nowadays we try listening to a sound and associating it with a letter by enough repetition.

If you learn the dits and dahs way then you will still learn the sound to letter way by using morse over a period of time,
but
it might prove slower to get up to say 20 wpm unless you have high aptitude.

On the other hand you might give up.

One of the big problems is that people get bored and so give up - so use whatever you like best and stick with it.

My advise FWIW is to listen to lots of code on your phone's music player instead of watching repeats on TV and try a variety of audio frequencies in case your ears don't have a flat response.

enjoy

cb

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.