Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (29)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Effective speed 5 wpm too fast

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-02-04 22:10
First of all I'd like say that I'm very happy with this site, it's a great tool.
I'm on lesson 9 now (started about a week ago) and usa as settings char 20 wpm and effective speed 3.
When all is going fine on 3 I try 5, but it's just too fast. I tried, as suggested here, to write manually instead of typing, but that doesn't seem to help either.
I wonder how other starters are doing. Do do you press the pause button often? Or maybe it's just me :)
In "word training" speed doesn't seem to be a problem.

Apparently using a too slow speed, is not good for the learning process, but having to hit the pause button continuously, would take the joy quite out of it for me.
Is it a matter of time, or will it become easier when real words are used?

Thanks for reading. :)

Posted: 2018-02-05 14:05
Angela,

In learning code, we need to get to the point of automatically recognizing the character without thinking about the sound. So much so, that the letter/number pops into our head immediately. Sounds like you may be hearing the sound and reasoning out which character it must have been. Would suggest practicing the earlier lessons at 5WPM, or a bit faster, it each letter is automatic.

Learning to skip over characters that are not immediately recognized is a very important skill. Puzzling out a character often results in missing another one or two or three. Letting go in this way was very hard for me to learn.

Suggest never using the pause button. Took me a dozen or so repetitions of the one minute lessons for each character to learn the first dozen. That's after discarding one minute lessons in which I got so many wrong that it was to embarrassing -- deleted those results.

Once pass the first dozen lessons, the number of repeats increased to about 20 or more. The lesson that gave me the most trouble, took over 60 repeats till I was getting 90% or better often enough to allow myself to move ahead.

Keep at it, and make it automatic through extensive repetition,
Jonathan kc3kbe

Posted: 2018-02-05 19:32
Jonathan is right.

Go back and do the lessons again, 20/5, no use of pause button. Proceed only to the next lesson when you pass one time 90%.

Of course finally decoding Morse code is with writing on paper (the essentials) or by head.

So write down the lesson, and only when you estimate you could have a score of 90% or over, type your writing over in your computer in order to check your score.

Posted: 2018-02-05 21:17
Thank you for you replies.
I've went back to lesson 4 and could do up to effective speed 7 wpm. The problem was also a bit hesitating with the N and A, so I'm practising these on te code groups custom menu.

Posted: 2018-02-06 02:08
angela69:
Apparently using a too slow speed, is not good for the learning process,

Nor is too fast . . .

angela69:
Is it a matter of time, or will it become easier when real words are used?

Yup - just like everything else.

The problem is that if you don't make some progress you will give up.

Listen to lots of morse and don't keep measuring your speed unless you are progressing at a fast rate.

Posted: 2018-02-08 03:43
Note that if you are copying on paper and want to check your result visually rather than typing it all in, you can click on [Check Result] twice without typing anything in and it will show you what you should have copied.

Posted: 2018-02-12 17:22
Thank you for the tip whegardt

Posted: 2018-02-16 22:06
Try at least practicing three times a day.
Train not longer as your brain can (suggestion between 5 and 10 min at once). If you have the feeling of loosing control stop immediately. I start with 5 wpm effective. If i am feeling secure then i jump to 8 and then stepwise to 15.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.