Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (12)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Which CW-transceiver to buy?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-11-29 21:04
Can anybody advise me what CW transceiver to buy or not? I'm just a novice/ beginner and do not want to spend a lot of money on my first purchase. I'm more into the transmitting and receiving than technical stuff.....any suggestions?

Posted: 2017-11-30 14:14
Hello Michel,

any Transceiver that fits your budget (and your dreams) will be fine.

As a beginner it may be helpful to have a CW filter (like 500Hz) - or you can build a small active NF filter that does the same.

Any old (or very old) TRX will be fine. Bear in mind that some old old TRX are offered over-priced and that you won't be able to sell it easily. So paying slightly more might give you a TRX that you later can trade in more easily.

Think about whether you will use it in the house (shack) only, or if you are tempted to buy a small TRX that can be battery powered and use it portable in the field. If in doubt buy a TRX that works on 12V.

For TX power again: anything is fine. But if you have the choice look for some TX with 20..100W and where TX power can be turned down to, say, 5W. As a beginner this make your first QSOs easier.

BR

Gerd.

Posted: 2017-11-30 16:04
I just read somewhere an article in pdf, I believe on http://www.pi4raz.nl/razzies selected last pdf (december 2017) that handles filters with a demonstration of 2,5 kHz, 250 Hz and only 50 Hz wide on the same CW signal. Interesting to be aware of the selection mechanism in your brain.

Posted: 2017-12-04 08:43
Thank you both Gerd en Lea de Boer for your comments. I'll get into it.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $