Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (25)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Having a hard time getting it

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-09-08 06:27
I've tried different methods of learning CW. I learned, or thought I did, the Alphabet and numbers in the CW OPS Academy but nothing sticks. I completed lesson 1 several times over 90%. For those of you who finished LCWO, did it work for you? Does the light come on?

Posted: 2017-09-08 16:09
OWL.

Nice you completed lesson 1 several times over 90%
So you are not deaf and you are able to copy one out of two characters, right?

Next step: switch over to lesson 2 .You have to do that after ONE score of 90% out of a one minute exercise; hence you get to select one out of three characters.

Must be possible, I learned my dog Morse code and she can select obviously one out of five characters right now.10/0.02
K= I am going to the Kitchen and get you a sausage
M= we are going out and you got a big Mac
U= you have to bring me the newspapaer in order to get a cookie.Right now.
R= I see cats do you?
E= Give me a high five left front paw
S= give me a high five right front paw

Having problems right now with: give me high fiv with left back paw.

My personal advice: Do it 20/5 because I see that there are too many people frustrated and quiting after starting with 20/10,

NEVER try after finishing the course, to close the cap from 20/5 to 20/20 as G3TMV adviced. Go back to your real obtained speed according to the formula I published recently on this website.

Your choice which advice you take.

Posted: 2017-09-09 02:06
KH6OWL:
I've tried different methods of learning CW.

Good idea, unless you have high aptitude, in which case you will have learned morse too quickly to try more than one method - but for the rest of us though . . .

KH6OWL:

I learned, or thought I did, the Alphabet and numbers in the CW OPS Academy but nothing sticks.

Sure you learned it - but how exactly did you learn it??

Maybe a direct link from ear to typewriter,
the military taught its recruits, to buzzz code groups of five cypher chars about . . .

Maybe a direct link to writing, so you can jot it all down but you aren't comprehending any of it at the time . . .

So, now you have to learn to decode into your head - unfortunately a bit like staring again.

With practice decoding as you hear will become as automatic as driving, walking, reading . . . given time . .

BUT, how much time ??? you might be asking

Well . . .

. . . if you have high aptitude like Brushup, Lea and Rich G4FAD then 2 weeks to a few months.

If you don't then 6 month to 6 years depending on your ears / headphones / persistance

Time for you to start then . . .

KH6OWL:

I completed lesson 1 several times over 90%. For those of you who finished LCWO, did it work for you? Does the light come on?

No, that's drugs. This is more like learning to drive a "stick shift" WW1 army wagon with no synchro-mesh.

My guess is you have a combination of average aptitude ( welcome to the club )
and
learning-a-link straight to typing into the test box.

A few tips

1/ it may take longer than you were expecting

2/ if you push too hard for speed instead of accuracy, you will get bored with it all after a bit

read pierpont http://www.tasrt.ca/TASRTVersions/TASRT.pdf

3/ don't give up

4/ you will learn by repetition not by trying too hard or by impatience

5/ stop testing your speed all the time

6/ listen to lots of morse, slow enough for you to decode the letters in your head but fast enough that you are kept busy

7/ watch out for tiredness if you are concentrating

8/ don't give up

9/ make sure that you choose an audio frequency at which your ears can easily pick out dits and dahs - else you are wasting your time.

I think this is probably the main issue differentiating between high and low aptitude, ( tho being able to spell helps a bit too )

Really, if you are hearing the characters correctly and can remember what each combination of sounds means, you can't help but learn to decode by habit.

Of course your maximum speed might not be so high

10/ buy a cheap mp3 player and make up some morse mp3 files and listen on the train, instead of watching TV game shows etc

11/ don't give up

12/ whilst you are learning, set the char speed to 10 - 20 as fast as is comfortable and leave a gap so you can just magic up the letter from the sound before the next one arrives - adjusting as it becomes easier

13/ repeat repeat repeat etc

14/ learn first then worry about speed ( before the row starts - this bit IS NOT MEANT TO apply to people with high aptitude who learned to 25wpm in 2 weeks )

15/ don't give up - this may take longer than you were expecting

16/ remember - the number of potential high speed operators isn't very large ( except it seems in brushup's local dutch QRQQ club ) so the future of un-encyphered morse ( if it has one ) will come from not discouraging the potentially much larger number of 20wpm max operators with the idea that that means they are doing it wrong and should be training like olympic athletes

Good luck anyway, and enjoy ( or you will get bored )

d-g-u

chris

Posted: 2017-09-09 14:07
You can grow real character by perseverance when you get bored.

When you don't have any or hardly any character, as usual nowadays because kids are grown with the idea that everything has to be fun, you can build it, and that is of much more importance than learning Morse code in all fields of life.

So learning Morse code as goal has the side effect that it is a way to build character from the point where you get bored.

The side effect is much more important for you, yours and the society than the goal.

So for your own best, I hope you got bored fast,
in order to get the opportunity to build your character by persevering with exercising Morse code: Use a strict scheme 5 up to 10 minutes EACH day.

Be aware, perseverance will never be recognized by the fun-kids as such, they are programmed to remark that your progress was easy and fun, obtained in a timespan of a few weeks, otherwise you should not have had it.

Posted: 2017-09-12 00:49
I don't know if I am getting it or not. I moved down to 20 / 5 and am doing lesson 2. I get up to abut 85%. Missing K and U. Does this mean I don't know the K good enough? I start out well but as the lesson goes along I start missing a lot near the end.

Posted: 2017-09-12 05:29
It took me a while. Just keep at it. Once I got past lesson 4 or 5 things went very quickly.

Posted: 2017-09-12 23:17
KH6OWL:
I don't know if I am getting it or not.

If you can hear it and you are actually listening to it then you can't help but "get it" . . just maybe not as quickly as you were hoping . . .

KH6OWL:

I moved down to 20 / 5 and am doing lesson 2.

Lesson 2 !! give yourself a break.

Have you been stuck on lesson 2 doing 5 - 15 mins a day ( probably not 15 mins non stop )
for longer than 2 weeks - you maybe need to try changing audio frequencies in case you aren't actually hearing it.

KH6OWL:

I get up to abut 85%. Missing K and U. Does this mean I don't know the K good enough?

Iit probablyy means you are getting fatigued.
How long are your sessions.
Try 3 x 5 mins a day at different times of the day and see if there is a difference

KH6OWL:

I start out well but as the lesson goes along I start missing a lot near the end.

OK, so you CAN do it after all, but you are getting fatigued a bit . . .

So, no more worrying about not succeeding.

Try more but shorter sessions.

Try a few different audio frequencies.

Don't expect to learn this in under 6 months . . .

Still worth the effort ??? Only you can say . .

( 'course it will be.
Don't give up.
Buy a cheap mp3 player and make up some files
to listen to.
Try concentrating and also try sitting with your
eyes closed and your mind blank.
Don't become obsessed with testing your speed -
accuracy first, speed second
( or third or who cares anyway )
Read pierpont IYDBM
www.tasrt.ca/TASRTVersions/TASRT.pdf
)

Let us know how you get along . . . .

cb

Posted: 2017-09-13 04:02
What is the most common tone? I have it set at 700. 700 seems ok but how do I know?

Do I practice lessons and morse machine or just lessons? I have been doing a little of both.

Posted: 2017-09-13 11:37
KH6OWL:
I don't know if I am getting it or not. I moved down to 20 / 5 and am doing lesson 2. I get up to abut 85%. Missing K and U. Does this mean I don't know the K good enough? I start out well but as the lesson goes along I start missing a lot near the end.

Make the exercises short: 1 minute.

Tone somewhere between 500 and 800 Hz is most used, ARRL does not give a choice on pitch on
http://www.arrl.org/5-wpm-code-archive
They - offer 740 Hz.

The army did start it with 1540 Hz on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTizFjjVXh0
Further on that record they use 1200 Hz.

654 Hz on the army record
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li8Hiwbc664

So their decisions are - out of any discussion here - OK
and hence my conclusion (and also my opinion) is that tone pitch doesn't bother when you learn the code.

Keep audio volume low, not louder then sufficient to copy.

Write down what you hear in characters on paper, one out of ten exercises copy your result in the window of LCWO in order to get a score.

ONE time a score of 90% or higher: proceed to the next lesson.

Do 10 exercises of 1 minute each day. Expect that you need at least 25 exercises of one minute for each lesson.
Expect that when a new character is added, you suddenly get problems with the set you learned already.

When you think you fail distinguishing between K and U, try to find out whether it is due to the small time to decide (In that case go over to 20/3) or due to hearing the same sound for K and U (in that case go over to 15/5) or fatique (I expect so, in that case go to exercise time 1 minute, do exercises of 1 minute till you start making more errors, and come back later on the day to do the rest of the 10 minutes daily exercise time.

Morse machine is only helpful when you proceed to higher lessons, because new characters are a smaller part of the lesson. With Morse machine you have the severe disadvantages that
1. each character requires your full reaction time. You do not learn, to build up a cache memory in your mind, which is essential when you want to copy faster then at most 5 wpm.
2. You learn code without meaning and react on it with a keyboard. Intercept telegraphers did it, did not know at all what they copied and thinking on other things or talking while doing that copying thoughtless and effortless.

Posted: 2017-09-13 18:24
KH6OWL:
Does the light come on?

Yes, yes it does. I would say it's more like a slow dawning of light, or like watching grass grow (you can't see it growing, but it does.).

Try the different things the others have mentioned. That's what helped me.

I couldn't hear it. 20/10 no. 20/5 each letter was hard, really hard to get. Eventually got through the lessons. But from reading some of "The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy" (free online book), I could tell it wasn't how it should be. Adjusted speed as suggested in another post and what I found for me was that when the character speed got down to 16 I could hear it. So I've been practicing now at a speed I can hear and enjoy it (10/10) and quess what? I just went back and tried to see how 20/5 sounded now (just Lesson 1). Amazing, what was so hard before, now I could hear easily.

So, yes the light does come. Without the help from others on this forum I wouldn't have known what to try.

Posted: 2017-09-14 00:39
brushupCW:

The army did start it with 1540 Hz on
Further on that record they use 1200 Hz.
654 Hz on the army record

So their decisions are - out of any discussion here - OK
and hence my conclusion (and also my opinion) is that tone pitch doesn't bother when you learn the code.

The army screens candidates for suitability.
They can't cater for individual requirements.

Good candidates learn code fairly quickly.

This forums is largely for the benefit of those of us who are less suitable ( and people commenting on the functionality of the site )

If you can hear morse clearly enough and can be bothered to listen,
then
you can't help but learn it - like walking, talking, driving, reading, writing, your job etc.

The questions are - how good will you become and how long will it take you ??

If you have hearing issues then you may NOT be hearing the code clearly enough - so if you think you are having difficulties, this in ONE of the things for you to look at.

I mention audio frequency because no-one else does,
but NOTE:
lots of the advise here is from people who learned relatively quickly and achieved a good or very high speed, so they won't really have anything in common with people struggling to make 20wpm with the wind behind them.

YMMV

You need to work it all out for your self.

But consider . .

Make sure you can hear it all properly
Stop testing your speed all the time
Watch out for fatigue - especially at first
Don't expect this to be easy necessarily
Buy a cheap mp3 player and make use of those spare 10 mins here and there.
Don't give up.

Maybe non of this applies to you.

enjoy, anyway

chris

Posted: 2017-09-15 22:15
I'm having a hard time getting pass lesson 3. K an R and killing me. I've slowed it down to 15 but I can count it so went to 18 and 3.

Posted: 2017-09-15 23:05
Darren, if you have trouble with K & R at 15 wpm then you have to slow down further, until you get it.

Counting is not a problem, believe an OM

Cheers

Posted: 2017-09-15 23:44
I have always heard not to count the dits and dahs and to remember the sound.

Posted: 2017-09-16 06:50
I'm ready to quite and just say its not for me. I've practiced lesson 3 for days and days, 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Different tones, different speeds and I'm not getting any better. 15 to 18 wpm sounds better than 10. Yes I even tried 10.

Posted: 2017-09-16 10:51
There is nothing to be counted with K and R.
Above that I agree with df9ts.

Hypothesis:

Your problem with those characters K and R is fysiological because K and R are each others mirror when you interchange dit and dah.

Proposal:

So to solve that make your own exercises with only S and O, proceed with
only A and N.

Example:

go to "change cw settings"
choose left upperside of screen 'character speed' make it 15 and effective speed 3

push under window up right of same screen the button 'Koch characters' Then all boxes are unselected (toggle)
place a V mark in box K and a V mark in box R just by clicking your mouse after location of the pointer in the boxes.

push left half height on "submit"

go to code groups

select left upperside in pull down menu: custom characters
select duration 1 minute

WRITE DOWN on paper what you copied

After one minute: push with mouse on check result
do that pushing again

compare your written down text (6 groups of 5 characters each)with the screen

Way to go through the course: make before each lesson in the above demonstrated way, your own intermediate lesson consisting of the new character and the last learned character.
Hence only 2 different characters in groups of 5

In your case right now: URRUR RUURR and so on.

Do the course with 15/3 character speed/effective speed. Do not experiment with tone pitch or speed. Keep it 15/3

Wisdom with selecting the right advice of this forum.
Keep us informed.

DO NOT GO TO A NEXT LESSON BEFORE YOU COPIED ONE LESSON >=90% (You did)

Posted: 2017-09-17 09:54
I'm actually seeing progress! If I pay attention and catch the first part of the r and k I can get them almost every time. The books, art and skill of telegraph, talks about learning to pay attention so I need to work on that. It does help if I close my eyes. Now on to the a and n.

Posted: 2017-09-17 17:20
The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy says it should take "from a minimum of one week to an average of about three up to eight weeks to achieve a satisfying 15 to 2Ĝ wpm."

For me, this has absolutely not been the case! After 40 weeks (every day!) I am still struggling to achieve anything I would call "satisfying" operating at 15 wpm and higher.

The journey is sometimes more enjoyable than the destination. Sure, I'm not headcopying that QSO zipping by at 20+ wpm, but I am having fun! Learning the code, the history, the techniques, and getting to know others along the way is satisfying in itself.

Keep at it, have fun, and don't give up.

Posted: 2017-09-18 06:27
"The art and skill of morse telegraphy" is simply wrong, in many places.

Bad.

Posted: 2017-09-19 09:31
I think you can find things wrong with almost anything. Some good stuff in there for me anyway and some bad that don't work for me.

Posted: 2017-09-19 19:36
There are good days and bad days but I try to have variety. I listen to QSO's on the radio. I copy what I hear. Sometimes a whole QSO or just the write down the important points. Listen to contests, write down call signs to look up on QRZ.

Sometimes I just head copy. Hard, but amazed that while I can do that with faster code I can manage to find very slow code as well in the evenings.

I guess for me it is motivation. Driving to work there are many good Ham Radio Podcasts that either are about code, Qrp, or other parts of the hobby. Listening to those just makes me want to study harder.

Just remember, failure is not an option here.

Posted: 2017-09-20 21:14
I think CW is like learning to play the guitar. Sure, anyone can learn a few cords. I'm talking about really learning to play. One doesn't learn to play the guitar proficiently overnight. It takes hours and hours of practice, over several months. A few people will pick up the guitar and become rock stars. Most will simply enjoy playing for themselves, friends, and loved ones. Think about this:

* Can you envision yourself operating CW proficiently?
* Do you have a desire to obtain that level of proficiency?
* Is that desire strong enough to overcome the difficulties you will experience obtaining proficiency?

Just like the guitar, not everyone wants or needs to go out and learn CW. That's okay. Better to find out before buying expensive equipment. If that desire to master CW drives you forward, get in to a groove. Practice every day. Pick one method and use that method consistently. Track weekly progress. Just, keep at it.

Posted: 2017-09-21 20:24
This site helped me get my 12wpm license in belgium within a year. Just practice every day a few minutes. I'm still not where I want to be but am happy to say that I can do some QRS morse now :) What also helps is to really listen more on the bands. A lot of words are repeated so many times, like CPY, RPT, RST, 599, 73, TU, TNX and so on - these small words are becoming their own 'words' in morse, and after a while you recognize them instantly without having to spell them in your head.

Posted: 2017-09-25 09:42
I made it to lesson 9 but when I
Miss letters it is r, k, a, and n.

Should I stop and just practice these until I get them?

Currently I have been working through the lessons and at night I keep playing the trouble letters over and over and over. Really work hard on immediate recognition of the sound and not thinking about it.

Posted: 2017-09-25 10:45
that confirms my hypothesis about interchanging dits and dahs. The R is mirror of K and also A is mirror of N.
A mirror is defined here as the conversion of a character by changing all dits in dahs and all dahs in dits.

I should personally decide to make a separate exercise for myself according to the way previously described above 2017-09-16 10:51 with code groups.

When you put the speed on 15/3 or 15/2 you release stress feelings; and thinking which character just was heard is not prohibited, it will solve over time.

The military insrructor even suggests
A soldier changing steps and so on like sound of a galoping horse, at 2:51 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li8Hiwbc664

So put in an exercise 15/3 with characters a n k r
and don't hesitate to think about what last character was.

Posted: 2017-09-25 23:35
KH6OWL:
I made it to lesson 9 but when I
Miss letters it is r, k, a, and n.

Should I stop and just practice these until I get them?

Currently I have been working through the lessons and at night I keep playing the trouble letters over and over and over. Really work hard on immediate recognition of the sound and not thinking about it.

My advise is to repeat them to yourself in a fairly slow random manner, in those odd moments when you are busy doing nothing.

Really, it's running it through your mind numerous times which gets it to stick.

Trying too hard won't necessarily help here . . .

YMMV

cb

Posted: 2017-09-30 14:33
KH6OWL:
I am up to lesson 11. I am getting most new letter ok but what is holding me up on lessons is that I consistently get K and r backwards and A and N backwards.

Sometimes I hear them pretty good and can move on, other times I will miss 5 to 8 letters and most are those 4. I constantly practice just the K and R and A and N before going to bed at night.

If I continue on with the lessons before getting these solid will it help or hurt me?

Thanks
Stacy

My opinion is: It will hurt.

Not any need to start a separate thread K r N A
(When G8TMV is needed, he is obviously absent)

Expect same difficulties in the future with pairs
(B,J) (D,W) (E.T) (F,Q) (G,U) (I,M) (L,Y) (O,S) (P.X) (Y,L)

So I think that it is stupid to proceed to next pairs without solving FIRST your mirror (mirror is previously defined in THIS thread on 2017-09-16 10:51) problem.

So make your own exercises:
1. K R only
2. A N only
3. K R A N only

Proceed from one exercise to the next numbered [1,3] only when at speed 15/3 you claim AT LEAST 90% .
If done select speed 15/5 and repeat the sequence of mentioned exercises.

Do not proceed before you reach 90% correct of those exercises at 15/5

Posted: 2017-10-01 09:53
How do you make your own exercises?

Posted: 2017-10-01 11:18
As said, look in this thread on my entry 2017-09-16 10:51

When you have difficulties to follow the instructions, please specify where you exactly got lost.

Posted: 2017-10-02 09:48
Thanks, I figured it out. It seems to be helping I am getting higher scores but really just started.
I will work on just these for the most part for a few days and throw in the other letters on normal practice so I stay fresh.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Posted: 2017-10-07 04:31
Is this normal. I set up code groups to practice. I set up KRAN and ran it until I was over 90% consistently and then LPMW until I was over 90% consistently. Then I go back to do Lesson 11 and do terrible. I set up for 15 and 3 and I get behind.

Posted: 2017-10-07 09:04
Yes, that is normal. Even when you are over 90% with lesson 11 and you go over to the next lesson 12 with one new character, I ; you will experience that effect again. Especially because it is the as such defined mirror of M

Did you have the mirror problem with the pair (E,T)?

Do not forget, because you passed lesson 9, to start exercising with WORDS.
You limit the words to the character set that is handled and mastered 90%. (lesson 11 is OK)

Try by repeating the word to copy the first character without typing or writing, when done repeat and concentrate on the second character and so on till you get the whole word. repeat it a few times and decode the now known word character by character.

Please report your experiences. They will be of great help to other people trying to learn Morse Code, which is a cultutal heritage, as such protected by UNESCO.

To exercise with words:

Left column of this website click with your mouse on Word Training
Adjust speed to 15 wpm
Adjust characters from lesson to 11
check your desired language to one that you understand
put a V-mark in fixed speed

push with mouse on Start

Go on do not hesitate to repeat a word a large number of times

Posted: 2017-10-07 17:41
Something I have done in the Custom Code Group that I liked is start with just 2 letters and add a letter one at a time like the lessons do. This is nice to work with especially if tired or having a particularly hard time.

p.s. Forgot to mention that I often did this working with the 2 most recent characters and adding in the next most recent. Example, if on Lesson 11 use the new characters from Lesson 11 & 10. If that was going ok I'd add the character from Lesson 9.

Posted: 2017-10-07 17:52
Good idea hope.

When you are good in KRAN and additional good in LPMW
Make also exercises in KRMW and in LPAN before trying exercises in KRANLPMW

However just stepping from your problem characters KRAN to the set KRANLPMW will give a backwards movement at start but it will be solved after some days exercising with the whole set.

Keep the speed at 15/3

Posted: 2017-10-08 09:26
I did not really have any issues with E and T. I would miss some but for the most part no issues with E and T.

I think A and N are solved. Still working on K and R but much better.

Posted: 2017-10-08 17:58
OK. I expect you will make it. Exercise the described path

Posted: 2017-10-08 23:02
I tried the word practice and I am only getting one or two letters. I have it set at 15, is there a way to slow down the spacing? I have the word length set to 5.

Posted: 2017-10-09 05:35
Darren,

To slow down the spacing go to "Change CW settings" and make the "Effective Speed (wpm):" a small number, the lower the number the longer space between characters.
leave "Character Speed (wpm):" at 15 - 18 or so.

Keep at it, its worth it.. Hope to work you on CW someday

73 DE KQ4MM

Posted: 2017-10-09 13:27
As far as I know, there is not a method to increase the inter-character spacing. BUT you are able to get the first two characters. When you know them and repeat the word, you know what is coming as first 2 characters so you are able to concentrate on the third one.

Of course it is possible to lower the character speed when you keep failing after 25 repeats of the same word or so and you can start with the shortest words in the lowest possible lesson 9 and the max wordlength on 2 or 3 characters.

Lesson 9
max word length 3
speed fixed
speed 15 or lower
you can repeat a word by pushing the period on your keyboard.

Posted: 2017-10-10 08:41
Thanks for the tip on the period. I was able to repeater them and finally got a lot of the words after numerous attempts. The system went up to 23 WPM and I had to stop. It was fun!

Posted: 2017-10-10 17:44
In the selection it is possible to set speed fixed, as said.
Better to do that

Posted: 2017-10-24 08:07
Yes, it is set at Speed Fixed. I still have to reply the word with the period key but I'm eventually getting the words.

I was stuck on lesson 11 forever it felt like and finally got to lesson 12. Had to slow the speed to 2 to get past lesson 11.

Posted: 2017-10-31 04:04
KH6OWL, that sounds like me on lesson 17 right now. I've been on it for three or four days. Once the letter F was introduced, suddenly P, L, and Z all fell apart. I'm muscling through it, but dang, that was unexpected and unfun.

Posted: 2017-11-02 05:41
Nice to know I'm not alone. Z and L are getting me but I was hanging on to IDing the L with the last two .. and the z has the same think. :)

Posted: 2017-11-02 16:15
You are definitely not alone. I remember L being one of the hard to get ones. During the day doing other things I'd be saying "Didahdidit L" over and over. For me it seemed to be letters that started with dits. Also would make mistakes getting the final dit or dah wrong. Different letters for each of us. But stay with it, it does eventually get in there, somehow someway.

Posted: 2017-11-07 07:07
2 Months in and I was hoping to be at the halfway point but with 2 days left I just made lesson 17. I wish I could move up the speed from 15/2 to about 15/5 at least but Have not been able to yet. I hope that comes with more practice.

Posted: 2017-11-07 10:41
Your present average is 5 exercises each day that is effective total 5 minutes. That is the absolute minimum. When you exercise 15 minutes each day (15 exercises of one minute divided over 2 periods of 8 minutes each), to prevent excessive exhausting, you will advance faster.

Right now you are advanced more then you ever did with Morse academy, apps and so on. So you are on the right track with the right method.

Personally I exercised each and every day since I subscribed start of this year halfway January. I did 360 exercises of 25 = 9000 words, and more then 2000 text exercises. So I brushed up my CW, thanks to DJ1YFK; and I wish you all the best and good luck. Going QRT now.

73 cl 30

Posted: 2017-11-12 04:31
I had one of those rare moments last night. I was lying in bed listening to code on my phone and I was getting almost everyone of them. I was surprised and once I figured it out that I was not having a hard time that is when I started having a hard time. Go figures, tense up and it doesn't work so well. :)

Posted: 2017-11-12 16:47
KH6OWL

You will ever have heard of "brain washing",

When you receive information, especially political information, you decide to accept it or not, because it is acceptable within your present opinion or it is not. If it is confirming your present opinion (accept it ad hoc without investigation) or just opposite (deny it without investigation OR - when your IQ>140- weight it, investigate it and preferably deny it, in order to prevent switching your opinion which is felt as being a loser).

Your opinion is based on a selection mechanism in your brains that decides wether or not you decided to select it as true and affirming your opinion or false and deny it.

However when you are very tired and exhausted, or you are on the boundary of just awake and not sleeping, your brains want to collect the received offered information, because you WANT it deliberatly, and due to tireness decides to switch out (short circuit) the selection process described above.

That is pretty dangerous because the message received settles in your brain as true, true or not, because the selection procedure is passed due to your exhausted or sleepy state.

Because the selection mechanism is the gate to your collected knowledge and opinion, that is according to you true or not, it is handled as "selected true in the past" and according to your feelings it WILL BE true.

When you are asked why you think it is true, you can't answer that question because the truthfullnes is in contradiction with your opinion based on the facts that passed the selection procedure in the past, and are not skipped due to tireness, consumed drugs or whatever.

So when you are tired, just not asleep, you are able to copy Morse code at higher speed, because the described selecton mechanism is switched off.
Some peaple call that "the Zen state" due to some lazy monk in the far East - collecting food and shelter for free- , I suppose so.

Conclusion: Just learn Morse code and beware of the Zen state.

DO NOT EXERCISE BECOMING IN THE ZEN STATE

Posted: 2017-11-13 00:54
KH6OWL:
I had one of those rare moments last night. I was lying in bed listening to code on my phone and I was getting almost everyone of them. I was surprised and once I figured it out that I was not having a hard time that is when I started having a hard time. Go figures, tense up and it doesn't work so well. :)

I guess that quite a few people end up un-advisedly thinking about other things whilst they are running their practice sessions - even trying to concentrate can be a distraction - so if you are like this then lying back in the chair in reduced lighting can really help.

That being said, Lea's brain seems to be rushing along at full wizz, and I think she can keep up with 40 wpm.

Maybe I should just go to bed, because in unlike apparently in Holland in London we don't have political opinion in morse code ( except for Boris's gibbering noises )
but
I do have a nice morse mp3 of E.F. Knights "Falcon in the Baltic" 1889, which has an interesting section of his trip through Holland and across something called Zuider Zee which apparently was a Zee in those days http://www.allthingsransome.net/literary/falcon.htm

And when I've finished with that I have an mp3 of E. F. Childers "The riddle of the sands" 1903, https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/2360/pg2360.txt
which I think is all about the start of Brexit, but this one is set in the Frisian Islands . .

cb

Posted: 2017-11-25 02:40
Is there any way in the lessons to turn off certain characters? I get about 40% of my characters as punctuation. I know I need to work on them (hence the reason that they probably show up so often) but I cannot for the life of me think why I need to know = and , during SOTA QSOs (which is what I do almost exclusively).

I'm getting to the point where I'm getting really turned off on continuing due to the constant drum of punctuation marks.

Posted: 2017-11-25 09:10
K7EEX In this thread BrushUp_CW wrote on 2017-09-16 10:51 - your desired answer.

Just a tiny modification for your described case, the recipe is:
= go left on your screen to "change cw settings"
= UNmark (delete the V mark) of the undesired characters at the right side of that screen.
= click with your mouse on "Submit"
= go to speed practice "Code Groups"
= left in the change mode menu: select "custom characters"
= push on that screen on "PLay"

Posted: 2017-11-26 02:39
Thank you Lea.

I did do that and am now using custom character set with Code Groups rather than Lessons. I've already began making progress again and am a lot less frustrated. I'll come back to all the punctuation marks at some point so I know the complete character set, but for now, I just want to get the primary stuff and get on the air.

Thank you again.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $