Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (26)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Should I use the variable word length option?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-08-22 06:00
I am about to move on to lesson 4. However, before I did, I tested my skill by changing the 5 character default to variable. I struggled big time because I hadn't developed any skill to hear word spacing. Should I use the variable character option so I develop this skill as I am learning to copy the characters? This discovery was a little disheartening.

Posted: 2017-08-22 10:52
Don't bother, Keep using 5-groups.

Posted: 2017-08-23 19:26
Word spaces are important in plain language head copy contact. Not in code sequences.

Go AFAP over to plain language.You learn what you are exercising. May be that is not what you want.

Posted: 2017-08-24 04:55
Can you please explain your AFAP comment? I am afraid I don't understand.

Posted: 2017-08-24 12:53
Ken,

You can learm Morse code with different objectives.
One is call sign copy. that may be of interest to contesters.
There is a program Morserunner, I remember, that exercises contest contacts, with pile ups QRM and so on.

Furthermore you can learn Morse code with the objective for conversation in plain language and to be able to jot down what is important to remember during the contacts.

Third is to copy codegroups. There is no meaning in those coded groups, they were used for military purposes, often generated random in order to keep "the enemy" eavesdropping intercept telegraphists and cryptanalysers busy.

In order to learn Morse code you start with a few characters and hence code groups are the only possibility.

When I learned Morse code at the eish5 and tmo0 method, as fast as possible the course of PAoAA was going over to selected words that were possible with the learned characters.

When you finish a course with code groups, with no meaning, you exercise in copy code groups. That was the job of intercept telegraphers in the past. They were perfectly able to copy those groups on a mill, that is a typewriter with a sheet feeder and and while doing that without thinking, in the meanwhile talk to people or think about what they are going to do this evening,

When you look at their printed copy it is perfect, but they do not know what they copied. Even not when it was plain understandable text.

So realize that you must go over as fast as possible (==AFAP) to UNDERSTANDING what you copy.

Posted: 2017-08-25 00:34

If you are only on lesson four so far, then you don't have much opportunity for practising on whole words.

You need to achieve something - else you run the high risk of loosing interest, especially if you don't possess brushup ( el al ) levels of aptitude.

Read this
http://www.tasrt.ca/TASRTVersions/TASRT.pdf

Learn the letters

Listen to lots ( and lots ) of good quality morse at various speed and pitches ( try making some mp3 files and buy yourself a cheap player )

If your ears don't have a flat response, find a pitch which allows you to hear clearly.

Don't take too much advise from high speed operators with high aptitude who learned morse without much effort
UNLESS
you are like that too . . .

Don't give up

If it seems ridiculously difficult, then that it what it is for lots of us ( except for the high speed operators ) so put up with it

Don't give up

Lets hope you reach 25 wpm in three weeks - but probably you won't.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $