Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (26)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: CHALLENGE FOR YOU

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-08-08 03:54
GO TO CHANGE CW SETTINGS, MAKE SURE IT IS SET AT YOUR CURRENT SPEED, TAKE OUT ALL LETTERS IN THE LIST OF CHARACTERS EXCEPT E,I,S,H,5,Z,X,/,= (SUBMIT) THEN GO TO CODE GROUPS..WHERE IT SAYS, FIGURES..SCROLL DOWN TO CUSTOM CHARACTERS,AND SELECT IT. SEE HOW YOU DO...I THOUGHT I WAS PRETTY GOOD, BUT NOW I SEE THAT I NEED A LOT MORE WORK..LOL

Posted: 2017-08-10 06:31
Tried your challenge today, Bob. Being new at this and going slow I was happy to get 90 percent ok. Great idea to try from time to time.

Posted: 2017-08-10 18:18
they are so similar that I made a lot of mistakes. I had a lot of trouble if several dit characters were sent together, and x & / are one dit difference, and always have to take a couple of seconds thinking abt =. but going over just those has helped me a lot. ur score of 90% really great...Bob

Posted: 2017-08-10 23:04
Bob, if you make a lot of mistakes then lower the speeed until you can copy without faults. Then work your speed up again by training.

GL

Posted: 2017-08-11 03:17
thanks test..just on those characters...they are why i cant get over my hump, i shouldn't miss them, because I know them, but as speed increases to the next step they confuse me and I hit h for 5 or s for h. maybe it is just my fat fingers or dislexic left handed brain.or possibly subconciusly I am still counting the dits and don't realize it. I am sure it is a brain thing I just have to get past somehow..lol

Posted: 2017-08-14 07:49
Bob,

yes you know those characters, but they are ahort so you have less time to write / type them compared to longer characters.
So your actual speed capability ma be a bit lower than what you think it is. Don't worry, train them with lower speed, bump the speed up with perserverance. It may take a bit longer than you think but you get over it

Posted: 2017-08-15 18:09
ok words of encouragment. we all need them at times, and yours were great. thanks.

Posted: 2017-08-15 19:02
Bob,

point is not just to encourage but to let you know that in CW there is no fixed speed.

In a text containing a lot of short characters such as e, s, h etc. the wpm speed is obviously higher thatn in texts with a lot of longer characters such as q, y etc.

What may be your problem is that when encountering a sequence of s, h or or it's simply too fast for you, that is why you need to get speed down until you copy ok. Ignore the displayed speed, take orientation at error rate instead.

BR

Posted: 2017-08-15 21:45
fb test will try that..thanks

Posted: 2017-09-05 09:00
I have the same experience. Or even worse - I can read groups of random chars. at speed 23, maybe 25wpm, but not able to read standard english text, or amateur abreviations even at lower speed. Exactly from the same reason - too much e, i, t, s, m characters.
I even ask the administrator of lcwo, if there is possibility to increase probability of theese short characters in morse generator, but actualy isn't.
So only solution is what was mentioned at begin - select these characters + some others and train on them.

(some english words are realy terrible in morse, e.g. "need", "tea", "teeth", "these" and so on...)

Posted: 2017-09-05 17:42
The word training section will practice you on words. You will get "e" and "i" as they are in regular words. You can set it to a fixed speed if you want. Seems like a good practice step toward plain text.

You can also start trying to understand what you're hearing as you hear it. I wish I had started this sooner. I thought it was just for speeding up after you had learned all the characters, but it's not. You can set it to the lesson you're on too.

Posted: 2017-09-06 11:13
start that word exercising with lesson 9

Posted: 2017-09-09 02:37
OK1DLT:

(some english words are realy terrible in morse, e.g. "need", "tea", "teeth", "these" and so on...)

Decoding morse isn't just about hearing dits and dahs, its also about timing and context.

If you stck at it you will soon come to tell how many dits were in that incomprehensible zipping sound from the length of time it lasts.

You need to get the first two and last two letters for most words and then you will find the lnght of the annoying middle bit drops into context.

Of course words like paragraph , difficult , comprehension etc have long middle bits, but you should get "compr" before you have to contend with "ehensi" and then its rounds off with "on" whcih will turn into one of your new favourites "ion" . . .

enjoy

DSTSS

chris

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.