Polski Português
Română Русский
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文

Who is online?

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Need some advise about my learning methods

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-02-22 22:45
Hi all !

It's been months since I started learning cw. I read a part of N0HFF book, and I decided to learn all the letters, one by one.

Consequently, I don't follow the system of "lesson". Currently, I'm on the 24th symbol, on 20/10 wpm.

Nevertheless, I have a problem : I still don't recognize the letters instantly.

In your opinion, should I persevere in my way, or start the lcwo.net method (>90% of success with K-M, before going to lesson 2, etc...).

Thank you !

Posted: 2017-02-24 04:53
In my opinion, you should follow the LWCO method. I don't know much about the history of the Koch method this is based on, but the principle seems very logical to me. It took me about three months, 15 to 30 minutes per day, to learn all 40 characters with about 95% accuracy on average. It was (and still is) frustrating at times, and I felt a few times like I was stuck. But I trusted the method and kept at it.

I'm only at character speed 15, effective speed 10, but my goal now is to increase my speed gradually (once I get a little closer to 100% accuracy at my current speed).

Posted: 2017-02-24 21:33
Ok, I'll try.

Thank you !

Posted: 2017-02-27 11:53
It usually takes me three years to learn a new language well enough to effortlessly communicate in it. That seems to include Morse code. I've been at it for 2 years and feel good about my progress.

Posted: 2017-03-21 12:17
So, I need to keep practicing and see.

As dmeissner advised me, I've been starting to use the lcwo method, a month ago. I am currently to lesson 6, and I have two new questions :

1) Do you wait to type/write automatically all the letters when you heard them, before going to the next level (which means, in my opinion, that you struggle with only one letter at each level), or do you wait to have >90% of success (which means, in my opinion, that you struggle with several letters at each level) ?

2) At this stage, were you able to heard quickly the letters ? Because when I train, I find that I am able to write them down, but without a pen, it is more difficult to recognise them...

Posted: 2017-04-03 06:07
when a lesson seems too easy then move on. If you jump the gun at 90 percent it means you are still struggling with the last added letter. It is up to you, but there is no reason you can't back up one or two lessons to get more proficient at where you are. Morse machine seems to help me get the sound of the letters and symbols locked into my head.

Posted: 2017-04-03 12:57
@Didi94net

You can persevere with N0HFF book, which is very very good, free availabe on Internet, or do the course here on this website. In general, I do not expect any difference in learning speed. However: read on.

@AC9KJ Learning Morse code is quite different from learning another language. You have noting to do with grammatical rules, exceptions on them, idiom, and pronounciation, learning 50000 words, reading books and so on.

Morse code is just an aural translation to sound of latin characters and arabic figures. Just an international standardized character representation, which has nothing to do with learning another language.

Above that as proof: I am a crutch, a dombo in learning languages, but I learned Morse code 15 wpm in order to succeed at ham license examination 12 wpm, in a few (2?) month at age 18; eish5 tmo0 method, with a tape recorder of a friend during lunch time with a recorded signal I sent personally with a straight key and a simple sidetonegenerator.

M0LEP a ham and former user of this webside was strugling for 2 years before he discovered this website did nor work for him and he learned Morse code another way in a short time. That does NOT mean this side is not OK, but it means the method does not work for everybody.

@Didi94net
No, when you can copy for the first time 90% of a set of n characters and go over to the next lesson with a new characterset n+1, the characterset n+1 sets up your mind and immediately the obtained progress of the other characters is significantly lower.

Write characters down with a pen, copy by head is to start when you are proficient at least 15/15. (I started at 25/25)

Posted: 2017-04-05 10:03
Thank you for your advises.
Now, I directly go to the next lesson when I reach 90%, on lcwo.net.
Furthermore, I supplement lcwo.net with a mobile app (Morse Mentor) when I have a little break, and I learn way more faster.

Posted: 2017-04-08 04:46
When one begins understanding phonemes, and then whole words, and finally, just thoughts, Morse code becomes a language. Aural translation of individual Latin characters from sounds is simply a part of the advanced beginner stage. At least, that's the way my mind works. But, of course, other people have other, valid, perspectives which work for them. And that's not a problem for me. :)

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $