Polski Português
Română Русский
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文

Who is online?

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: easiest letter messing me up

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-02-02 17:39
I am embarrassed to write this, but I am having the hardest time learning the easiest letter. E. Yes the single dit. I've been learning off and on for years, but found LCWO a couple weeks ago and just recently started in earnest.

I've played around with speeds, right now doing lessons at 30/10. I need the character speed to be fast, otherwise my brain builds a visual picture of the dots and dashes instead of learning the sound. I can easily get all the letters that contain at least one dash, but E and to a lesser extent I are tripping me up. Maybe they are so short that they startle my brain and trip it up, and as a result I miss the next letter.

Keeping at it though, hopefully this is just a little block that I can fight through.

Posted: 2017-02-02 18:54
Same for everyone I think ( except those who mix up two characters and have to unlearn )

"e" is the shortest so you have the least time for recognition and no chance of partial recognition.

"i" is next most troublesome . .

ei together will soon sound like a single entity.

Have you tried at 20wpm character speed??

30/10 is quite fast for first learning the alphnumerics

IMNSHO
The best way is to learn it ALL as quickly as you can, so that you feel you have actually achieved something ( hurrah )

then

work towards speeding up,

which

will happen anyway, just through usage without any effort whatsoever ( yippee )

cb

Posted: 2017-02-03 07:28
20/10 works a bit better, but it's really easy to visualize the dots and dashes at that speed. I'll continue to tweak and experiment.

Posted: 2017-04-06 05:08
You're doing better than me. I get K and U mixed up; I'm only on the second lesson.

Posted: 2017-04-23 23:15
I agree with cb - Chris, I find e difficult and t the next difficult and I think that it is the short time span for sound-recognition-context-output (output in my case is both written and typing - not at the same time!). In both cases e and t it's often the following letter that I miss due to the short time span

Posted: 2017-05-09 19:41
IMHO the difficulty on "the easy ones" won't be so bad in real life (in most cases), because the context of the message will help you sort out what character it should be. If it happens in a call sign, I figure just take a 50/50 guess - if you guessed wrong, the ham will correct you in his/her reply.

I think its easy for us to hang ourselves up on the minutiae (I do it all the time). Keep your mind free and enjoy the learning - keep it fun !

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $