Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (8)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: What is the best duration?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-01-30 20:32
Hi,
I registered long time ago but recently i started from beginning and currently i am doing the third one.
Somewhere in the net i read that it is better to receive for 5 minutes and this is what i do.
Looking at my results it seems i am getting bored at some point.
First two minutes almost no error, second two quite a lot and the final one minute again with no errors.
Started at 22/10, now lowered to 22/9
What would you suggest? Should i keep trying to overcome this problem or i can simply switch to 2 mins and go forward?
73, Georgi

Posted: 2017-01-31 14:20
You are probably getting fatigued, rather than bored.

What you should do depends upon whether or not you feel you are learning something during the 3 ( fatigued ) minutes.

I would suggest that you are not progressing during this time ( based on my own experiences doing the same thing as you )

You have of course numerous options e.g.

1/ Slow to 22/3 and run for several minutes
you will probably keep up
you will be making progress

2/ Slow to 22/3 and do lots of 2 minute sessions
you will definitely keep up

3/ Keep at 22/10 and do lots of 2 minute sessions
you already reported that you can keep up

OR - a mix of some these ( which is what I did )

If you are concentrating very hard, then 2 minutes is not really a short time to become tired.

You learn by many repetitions. As you become more proficient then the strain will reduce and you will be able to continue for longer.

Anyway, the important thing ( unless you have a high aptitude and don't need advice from me ) is to make noticeable progress,

else you WILL get bored and join the many who just give up.

cb

Posted: 2017-01-31 19:24
In my case I started with 20/10 but after a couple of the firs chars I lost. So I slowed down to 20/5 but as soon as I arrived to the 20th letter I recognised counting the di-da. So I increased to 23/5 that is what I do nowadays. On every new letter I do 1min then when I feel good I do the 2mins. Will see after a couple of months :D

Posted: 2017-02-22 06:25
koch-smosh...if you are learning the characters I feel it is ok to slow things down. Once you have it down cold you can always gradually increace the speed. I have it at 15-5 for lesson 1-40 and a duration of 1 minute. When I can do a lesson 5 or 6 times at 100 percent I move on to the next lesson. speed will only come when you don't have to hesitate on any character, Then set it up to 18 and 10, then 20 as you get to feeling more and more confident.

Posted: 2017-02-22 15:21
I did the lessons at 20/5 with over 90% as suggested. Now I am going back over at 20/10 - I'm only at the 1 min tests, but I am having to go back and repeat as its right at my threshold (too fast to copy) I am guessing that the default settings are accurate. I have tried for over 1 min in the past and I can see how that could get monotonous.

Posted: 2017-02-22 17:58
Я каждый день интересуюсь кто из пользователей сайта находится в он-лайне и какой урок они осваивают.Можно ли еще добавить в "мой профиль" информацию о скорости,например, урок 7,скорость 22/8 ?

Posted: 2017-02-24 20:23
Fatigue means you are pretty close to your threshold of capacity, but maybe a little too overstretched. Maybe see if you can sustain 3 minutes with good accuracy?

Sometimes when I'm fatigued overall, or learning a new letter, I temporarily switch to "morse machine" for some zero-stress practice.

Posted: 2017-02-28 14:19
What is the difference between character speed and effective speed?

Posted: 2017-02-28 14:27
I think I just answered my own question. What is an average for character and effective speed once you become proficient in CW?

Posted: 2017-03-01 22:33
Depends on the condx or if a contest

Aim towards 20/20wpm effective anyway, at first . . .

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $