Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (32)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: can't keep up :-(

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-01-06 11:47
i don't seem to get past lesson 4. Should i change to a lower speed? Or try and bite through?

Posted: 2017-01-06 15:12
What speed are you using ???

Generally try:-

a character speed of 10wpm upwards
( 15 - 20 wpm is MUCH better if you can manage it )
so
that you are not counting dots and dashes

make sure you use an audio tone which is suitable for your ears to pick up the code without them distorting it - a few HZ either way can make a big difference
** I reckon this is a major issue for some people - me included **

then

drop the "effective speed" as low as you need to give you time to remember what letter each character means

A one second gap is OK between words at first
half a second between characters

repeat repeat repeat and don't give up

speeding up can be done later - don't get drawn in to testing your speed all the time

many short sessions are better than small numbers of long ones

don't be afraid to sing to yourself as you walk along . . .

Posted: 2017-01-09 09:55
Hello, thank you for your reply.

Current parameters: Character Speed = 16 wpm, Effective Speed = 10 wpm, Tone = 440 Hz, Start delay (seconds): = 0 seconds

Default settings were 20 wpm i believe. I also changed the tone. This is much better. I do recognize the code but i think it is my typing that also needs improvement.

Excellent tips, and I passed lesson 4.

Thanks!

Posted: 2017-01-09 19:30
Chris, thanks for that great reply!!
I didn't pass lesson 4 neither... yet...

First of all i try not giving up;)

Posted: 2017-01-09 20:25
My problem is that I get severe cramps in my right hand trying to copy the characters down in my note book even at 20 wpm! I got my XYL to read out random characters at the same rate as the Morse tutor and I can't even copy that. I've been writing for 60 years and never realised I was so slow. My typing is even worse! I can't see a way round that limitation.

Posted: 2017-01-10 17:53
sparky89:
My problem is that I get severe cramps in my right hand trying to copy the characters down in my note book even at 20 wpm! I got my XYL to read out random characters at the same rate as the Morse tutor and I can't even copy that. I've been writing for 60 years and never realised I was so slow. My typing is even worse! I can't see a way round that limitation.

Well, as an experiment try . . .

. . . forgetting the writing bit . . .

. . . slowing down the effective speed . . .

and just listening away.

If you have am mp3 player or your phone plays mp3 you can use the

"Convert text to CW" lcwo.com menu option

under

"Miscellaneous"

which

provides a link to an mp3 file, so you can listen to morse instead of music.

If you slow down a bit you will be able to tell if you are decoding the letters correctly or not.

Ideally, the corresponding letter should pop into you head as if from nowhere when you hear the morse.

If you persist you will eventually be reading whole words at once.

Learn first ( repeat repeat repeat ) - then worry about speeding up.

Just don't use a slow "Character speed (wpm)" setting . . . only an slow effective speed.

Make sure you choose the best audio frequency for your ears - a few Hz can make a big difference.

good luck

cb

Posted: 2017-01-10 20:26
Thanks for the advice. I can hear and repeat the letters out loud at 20/10. I just can't write them down fast enough to check if I've got them right! I have recorded some of the mp3 files onto my phone. I have them randomly interspersed with 60's tracks. I thought about shouting out the letters and getting the XYL to write them down, but she's a bit peeved at me going around the house tapping out code already.

Posted: 2017-01-12 16:57
Well, I've been spending 2 hours a day on level 3 for 4 days now and my average isn't improving, so I guess the Koch method isn't for me. I took ballroom lessons once and the teacher told me not to come back as she'd never met anyone with absolutely no sense of rhythm before.

Posted: 2017-01-12 23:32
I have the effective speed set really low, like 3-4 wpm. Then I use the MorseMachine to get 'warmed-up' for 5-10 minutes, then I go to the lessons. I try to do 15-30 minutes max, every day. After about 30 minutes I find that I can hardly copy any more. If it seems like I'm have a tough day with copying I stop after maybe 5-10 minutes, usually the next day I come back rocking. I also find that on some lessons I have to restart several times because a family member talks to me or the dog barks, phone rings, etc.
Just keep at it, be patient, you WILL get better.

Posted: 2017-01-15 01:48
John, rather than change the speed settings I wonder if you've tried writing instead of typing. I started this training by typing into the box and I found that it made it much harder for me. When I switched to writing I moved quickly through lesson 4 to lesson 9, and I'm pretty sure I'll make quick progress through the rest. I actually practiced writing the letters quickly, and writing as many of them with one stroke instead of lifting the pen or re-tracing a line. For example, when not doing code and writing the letter "p" I would normally do a downstroke on the main stem, then come back up the stem to the top and do the loop to the right. When copying code I'm practicing starting the stem at the bottom, coming up to the top and making the loop. It takes about half as much time. Likewise with letters like "n", I start at the bottom and basically make an upside down "u" without the tail or re-trace. I found all this helped me copy the code much better. Maybe it will work for you.

Posted: 2017-01-15 01:50
PS to my prior message, once done writing the practice lesson I then type it into the box to get the grade

Posted: 2017-01-15 14:10
@JEFF, that is excactly the way i do it as well. It works very fine for me.

Posted: 2017-01-15 17:36
Right, that is the right way to do it.

Write, and in the case of readable text (not code groups) cover written text with your thumb to prevent guessing what will come.

One out of 10 exercises type your written text in your computer in order to check your progress.

Posted: 2017-01-16 10:53
Jeff, i'll try writing too and also vary between Koch and Morse Machine. Thanks!

Posted: 2017-01-16 11:06
Addendum

Also, i'm back to 20 character speed but reduced effective speed (as stated in the introduction section to the Koch method). I found it gives ample time for typing.
[deleted]

Posted: 2017-01-16 11:37
I noticed that adding a new character my brain is mixing it up, got difficulty to differentiate between k en r.
speed 12 10. My question is, is it good to try to recognize the characters with di dah etc.. in my brain while listening ? . now i just train with K and R and then add the M and U. I'm still try to find my way how to learn. Anyone got the same experiance?

Posted: 2017-01-16 19:48
12 10 is wrong (in my opinion). Make it 20 5 , up to 20 10.
Better is to complete the whole course with 20 5
When done you are able to make a QRS QSO. That will not take too long, because you have a lot of time to decode each character in the 20 5 setup.

After that you repeat the course with 20 10

Posted: 2017-01-16 21:24
hanz, I rather agree with brushupCW . . .

15wpm char 2wpm effective even, would be ( slightly ) better future proof than 12 10 ,

18 2 better than that,

20 2 better than that, if you can decode the characters at 20 wpm character speed

because as you get above 15 wpm character speed . .

. . you are forced to hear the whole morse character as one entity, instead of a number of dits/dahs which you then have to assemble into a character before decoding it . .

If you can't make out characters at say 18 wpm char speed - try adjusting the audio frequency a few times and see if that helps - a few Hz can make a big difference to ease of reading if your ears don't have a flat response . . .

You want to aim to have the letter appear in your head as if from nowhere when you hear a morse character . . .

learn them all then repeat repeat repeat to get faster . .

good luck anyway - enjoy

Posted: 2017-01-17 00:06
I've started again after a break, and I can affirm that a higher character speed is VERY helpful. I was struggling a bit at first, but when I put the character speed up to 25 it was easier. (Left word speed the same so I have time to think and correct if wrong) I don't think in terms of dot and dashes, it is a single sound. And it is normal to confuse a and n, s and u, r and k. I only practice for short periods (5 minutes max) before they all sound the same. But I do that 6 times throughout the day. It's very helpful for me. Don't give up, you can get it!

Tom
[deleted]

Posted: 2017-01-17 09:31
Thanks Chris and Tom,
I wil go for a higher speed en will tweak the tone pitch. It's all a bit in the margin i understand of the 3 parameters word speed, effective speed and tone.
I will continue, thanks a lot.
73 hanz
[deleted]

Posted: 2017-01-17 12:40
brushupCW:
When done you are able to make a QRS QSO. That will not take too long, because you have a lot of time to decode each character in the 20 5 setup.

brushupCW:

Thanks BrushupCW,
i will go for the higher speeds, still searching for the optimum.

73 hanz
[deleted]

Posted: 2017-01-17 18:24
Thanks Tom, Chris and BrushupCW, increasing up to 20 5 and 600hz helped me a lot, after a view tries a could take the first 4 characters without problems.
Thanks for the gooed help!!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.