Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (11)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Cookies?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2016-09-20 19:45
Is it me or are there no cookies on site making it so I have to login again and again?

Thanks either way! A wonderful resource here!

Posted: 2016-09-27 01:18
Hello Mike, the cookie thing seems to be a problem at your end. I can't even log in (properly) without allowing cookies from https://lcwo.net.

Perhaps you should try another browser to see if that keeps you logged in. Feel free to send a PM if you need assistance.

Best regards
Administrator

Posted: 2016-09-27 05:59
Hi,

there is currently a session cookie only that expires after you close your browser.

What Mike is asking for is a permanent cookie which is valid for a longer or infinite period of time.

Should be an easy one to implement. In a week or two I will have some more free time than right now, so I plan to implement that in early October.

Fabian, DJ1YFK

Posted: 2021-04-08 13:30
I have to log in too often to my taste, so I looked into the cookie thing. I use Firefox and I found this in the "web developer tools", the "Console":
Cookie “PHPSESSID” will be soon rejected because it has the “SameSite” attribute set to “None” or an invalid value, without the “secure” attribute. To know more about the “SameSite“ attribute, read https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Set-Cookie/SameSite

Fabian, can you look into this please?
Administrator

Posted: 2021-04-08 16:22
Yes. Currently the cookies are per session only (e.g. once you close the browser, or navigate away from LCWO for a while, you need to log in again). An optional permanent cookie is something that should be not too difficult to implement (as I already said 2016, but then apparently I forgot about it :-)

I'll also look into the issue with the SameSite attribute if the cookie!

Fabian
[deleted]

Posted: 2021-04-08 18:09
I might be wrong but Firefox has an option to keep cookies after shutting down the browser:

On Linux:
Preferences >
Privacy and Security >
Cookies and Site Data (click on the tab "Manage permissions") >
Address of website: https://lcwo.net/

And then click "Allow".

I am not sure if this will keep a permanent cookie but it's worth trying.

Posted: 2021-04-08 20:55
My "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" option is not even active. And I do have a "cookie monster" plugin that deletes cookies, but LCWO is on the exempt list. And I don't shut down the browser. Session still gets lost anyway :-(
Administrator

Posted: 2021-04-08 22:08
Even if you allow the cookie to persist forever on your browse side, with the current implementation the server side session will time out after a while. So I need to do something on the server side to allow a permanent login...

Posted: 2021-04-10 09:59
Infinite session is probably not a good idea, but a cookie lifetime of 30 days or so would certainly be great for users. And it's also better server-side: a simple cronjob to delete 30d+ session files would do it (instead of keeping them forever).

Posted: 2021-04-10 19:19
Something must have changed server-side because I didn't need to login after closing and restarting the browser (Firefox 68.10.0esr).

Posted: 2021-04-11 12:34
The server does not "see" a restart, and if the cookie is still there after the restart, you stay logged in. Unless it takes very long before the LCWO page is present in your browser but that is something else.
Administrator

Posted: 2021-04-30 22:27
WammesWaggel:
I have to log in too often to my taste, so I looked into the cookie thing. I use Firefox and I found this in the "web developer tools", the "Console":
Cookie “PHPSESSID” will be soon rejected because it has the “SameSite” attribute set to “None” or an invalid value, without the “secure” attribute. To know more about the “SameSite“ attribute, read https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Set-Cookie/SameSite

Fabian, can you look into this please?

This should be fixed now.

Posted: 2021-05-01 03:26
I'm no longer able to log in with Firefox. I wonder if it's related to this change?

I click the "Login" button. I'm taken to a page that says "Login successful. Proceed to the main page.", and then quickly redirected back to https://lcwo.net/ --- but I'm not actually logged in; the upper-left still shows the login form.

Until now I've used lcwo.net with Firefox without trouble. Not sure when the last time I used it was --- maybe a couple of days ago? I logged in with Chrome in order to post this comment.
Administrator

Posted: 2021-05-01 09:16
Hi James,

I temporarily reverted the changes. Please check if it works now.

Fabian

Posted: 2021-05-01 15:26
I managed to log in, but only after I cleared cookies. (I also did a hard reload.)

Now I'm wondering if I tried those steps before. I *think* I did. Let me know if I can help more. Thanks.

Posted: 2021-05-01 20:38
I use Safari's password storage, "Keychain." When I log in I click on the username box that brings up my username and password. I click the login box and I'm in.
Most browsers have a similar feature.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.