Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (22)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Koch Lessons and Falling off the train

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2016-03-25 19:18
Hi all,

I can do Morse Machine up to about 40 wpm with about 95% success. But as soon as I string characters together I get completely lost. I get lost at anything above 2-3 WPM with 25-40 wpm characters.

So I started doing the Koch Lessons and here's my thing. I get about 5 groups in (on lesson two, no doubt) at 25wpm/25wpm and I fall off the train. Once you're off the train you're screwed. You could actually have it 90% right but if you're offset by one group it's over.

Is there any way around this? I'm trying to figure out how else I can be practicing.

Trying to hit 25 wpm solid copy in QSOs before I go buy any gear.

Luke

Posted: 2016-03-26 16:17
Learning morse involves picking up a number of skills.

You will speed up only by lots and lots of repetition.

Looking at where you say you are now . . .

Keep the char speed at 25wpm and drop the word speed to as low as you need to be able to keep up.

Repeat and repeat . . .

Don't speed up until you have "drummed" your current speed into your brain.

If you find your hearing or your brain are getting fatigued ( sounds like they are - same with me actually ), stop for a short break.

If you get fatigued after 20 seconds - stop every 20 seconds for 10 seconds.

Everyone learns differently.

It can be a bit like building up muscle. You may find you need to wait for the blood supply to grow . . .

This slowness of progress is a major contributory factor in causing people to give up.

Learning the letters is easy enough, but putting it all together is a different skill.

Make sure you are using an audio frequency which is suitable for your hearing - your ears won't have a flat response . . . .

Don't give up whatever happens.

Make sure you have decide upon this course of action before you start.

Get a cheap mp3 player so you can listen to code in spare moments several times a day - don't keep worrying about the score any more - it's a side issue . . .

Posted: 2016-03-31 14:52
Cheers, Chris. Thank you.

Posted: 2016-05-05 10:55
"You could actually have it 90% right but if you're offset by one group it's over"
You whether live blanks where you don't copy so that yo get in sync with the program, or you don't bother much with checking this way. You already know when you're wrong, isn't it?
What I did was every, 10-15 plays of the same lesson, when felt I am close to target, to listen a second/third time to the same text(play again) and get aware of the mistakes I made.
Well, I anyway, don't type, but write by hand.
I also use the "Koch morse tutor" when offline; This program is a python script (I use it under linux but think works in windows too) that while transmitting also writes in a window, so one may check what has been received, if you're fair enough to not trick yourself :)
Gelu

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $