Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (18)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Hand Copying Morse Code (English)

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2009-04-04 10:04
Hi!

A suggestion for a useful addition for your site (and also information that I am seeking):

I have found plenty of information, suggestions, etc. on copying morse code, EXCEPT for information, suggestions on how to COPY it, that is to say, how to physically form the characters when hand writing on paper. Physically forming the characters becomes an issue at higher speed. I recall seeing information on this somewhere - but where?

Danny
KK4E/6

Posted: 2009-04-04 16:45
That's what keyboards are for :.)
For me, writing in lower case is quicker than caps. Problem is legibility. This has been an issue for me, for example, at the KCDXC pileup contest at Dayton.
Administrator

Posted: 2009-04-05 22:06
I personally also prefer using the keyboard as my typing speed exceeds my writing speed by some orders of magnitude...

There are several methods of copying code the old-fashioned way with pen and paper.

* A slightly modified handwriting which considers the length of some characters in CW by simplifying the respective letters plus some additions for legibility: An example can be found at DK5KE's website: http://www.qsl.net/dk5ke/bilder/abc.gif.

* A real shorthand code; there are numerous variants. At recent HST (High Speed Telegraphy) championships I have seen the competitors from Belarus, Russia and Romania use different shorthand systems, which looked quite different: Some of them were simply dots, dashes, circles and similar marks, written on three or four vertical lines (almost like a note sheet), others resembled an ECG graph :-) There is an example of this also on Ludwig's website, halfway down this following page: http://www.qsl.net/dk5ke/morsen.html (This was from YO; I remember seeing a similar picture but from Belarus somewhere on the DARC HST website but I couldn't find it right now).

* Your own shorthand method. Try to simplify the letters of your own handwriting by leaving out any redundancy. I tried this a few years ago, and after a while I got a lot faster when copying with pen and paper, but it was still a lot slower than what I can type on the keyboard (35wpm vs. 50wpm or so).

I vaguely remember that there was something about this in N0HFF's "The Skill and Art of Telegraphy", but I am too lazy to look it up right now :)

73, Fabian

Posted: 2009-04-22 18:18
I remember coming across a suggested way of doing this in a recent printing of QST. It resembled the kind of strokes a palm pilot would be expecting.

http://www.computerhope.com/help/pp1.gif

Might be a useful framework for setting up your own copy method.

-VDY

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $