Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (27)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: starting over

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2015-09-07 18:03
Hi, My name is Ken and I'm new to the group.
I've been working on learning cw for almost 2 months now and I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed. I have done most of my practicing with the morse machine app on my android phone. I am comfortable with all 40 characters sent at 25-30 wpm. I am at about 90-95% accurate at those speeds. The problem with morse machine is you have all the time you want to type the character before going on to the next one. It's great for recognizing the sound of the characters but doesn't help you in coping real code without spaces between the characters. When copying live code I can recognize the characters but quickly fall behind.

I'd like to start over using LCWO.
I'll start at Code Groups lesson 1 and repeat at different speeds until I can copy well at 20-25 WPM. The question I have is what is the best strategy for the initial speed settings. Should I start at 20/7, run through all characters and then start again at 20/10, then 20/15? Or should I start at 15/15 and then start again at 18/18? How long should I set the session length for? 1 minute is way too short and I think 5 minutes may be too long. I've tried listening to the ARRL code practice files but because on my learning at 25-30 WPM I find it difficult to recognize characters sent slowly. At 5 - 10 WPM I find myself counting dits and dahs which is a step backwards.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ken
KF7DUR

Posted: 2015-09-27 11:20
If you are already comfortable at 25wpm with long pauses between characters, I would suggest something like 25/7 or so and then slowly decrease the pause until you arrive at 25/25. Since you seem to recognize characters at 25wpm, no need to reduce character speed, I would say.

BTW, I copy mp3 files from this site on my phone. Works for me.

Posted: 2015-10-08 16:47
I tried 25/7 but it was too fast. I'm at 25/4 lesson 20. Once I get through all the lessons I'll go to 25/7 and run through the lessons again.
Thanks for the tip on the mp3 files. They will be good to listen to while driving.

Posted: 2015-10-09 23:32
I just started brand new to this a few weeks ago. It reminds me of learning fiddle tunes by ear, using a slowdown program and metronome.
I'm keeping the character speed at 20 because I just want to recognize the sound of it without thinking about how it is composed. I put the second number at 5 because that is the fastest I can do it and still get most of them right.(one minute) Each time I do a session (one per day)I move up to a new letter, practice it on the Morse Machine until it feels familiar, and then run through the lesson until I feel fatigued with it.
Once I get all the letters down, I will increase my speed and duration.
I can see that relying on the Morse Machine to build speed is not as useful as the lessons are. What it is good for is for character familiarity.

Posted: 2015-10-15 00:43
I'm slowly getting up to speed. Still at 25/4 and stuck at lesson 23. The , and / are causing confusion. Once I get to 90% I'll add another character. I'm at around 80% now. The nice thing about all this practicing is you start recognizing more letters the more you hear them.
I've been at this for 3 months now and it looks like I've got a long way to go. It's easy to get frustrated when you reach a plateau. I try to copy slow code on the air and that has been helpful. I had all the characters down using Morse Machine after a month but never could get faster then around 3-4 WPM.

Posted: 2015-10-15 13:11
You need pratice more and more at slower speed. Step by step.

Bon courage

Posted: 2015-10-24 23:01
Welcome to LCWO, this is the best place to learn morse code. Great to see you already had practice, and I see you are using the Koch module, which is the best.

There will be a point where you need to stop copying from memory, and start to react immediately. That will be a though nut to crack (I'm still cracking it ;-) but you'll get there if you keep at it, training daily.

Have fun, good luck, stick with it!

Posted: 2015-10-28 23:52
Wow this is challenging. Still stuck on lesson 23. The , and / are killing me. I found the custom code group setting and now I'm just drilling with the , . / and =. That may help me get comfortable enough with the , and / to move on to the next lesson. I added the . and = to make it a little more challenging. Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement. I didn't know I had to resort to Jedi mind tricks to get through this level.

Posted: 2015-11-11 12:12
Ken, I would not bother too much with these characters. In practice, nobody uses comma and full stop, only the prosign = (bt)and the slash as in /p or /m or DL/F4GFT. In both cases, there is a very specific context which helps reading the sign. If your objective is to get on the air, just move on.

Posted: 2015-11-12 19:33
Andreas, Thanks for the comment. I agree with you I'll just move on. I'll just make a custom code group without the special characters and add the new characters from each lesson. I'll lose some of the training stats but I can live with that.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $