Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (19)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: What about spacing?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2015-02-24 10:48
Hello everybody,

I'm very interested to learn CW again with the Koch Method but I want to understand the speed notion.

I want to learn at 20 Wpm but if I follow the Koch's method I should have a 20 Wpm letter speed and a 20 Wpm spacing. This is very fast for a beginner.

What about a 20/10 speed? Is it an error to learn with this configuration? What if I want to then go faster and reach the 20/20. When and how should I reduce the spacing between the letters?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Best 73s de Pascal, HB9IIB

Posted: 2015-02-25 13:05
I'm also interesting in this question.
Once I've finished with the lessons on 20/10 speed, surprisingly I figured out I cannot copy a single word from Text or Words trainings on 20/20. Now I started the Koch method lessons from the beginning on 20/20, but want to know which spacing speed is supposed to be the right one to start and how should I improve it.

Posted: 2015-02-25 19:40
type in google:

effective speed site:lcwo.net/forum/

73 Greg

Posted: 2015-02-26 11:07
Hello Greg,

Thanks for your trick, I didn't know that we may be able to make such a search with Google.

What is not clear for me (and I didn't find a clear answer in the forum's messages) is to know what speed I should choose to manage a 20 Wpm QSO.

In the Theory it would be 20/20 but in the practice does a 20/12 or even a 20/10 speed be enough?

Posted: 2015-02-26 16:18
If you got through the course at 20/10 you should know the characters well enough. How about using some of the other tools (code groups or plain text?) at increasing word speeds to build your overall speed up?

Posted: 2015-03-14 12:52
Start with a ratio of 20/5 or lower if that is what is necessary to achieve better than 90% result. It is unlikely you will need to persist at that ratio for the whole 40 lessons. After (say) 6 lessons, change the ratio to 20/7, and when you have better than 90% change again to 20/8 and so on until whatever ratio is just beyond you. Keep challenging yourself. Now add another letter, i.e. increment from lesson 6 to lesson 7, and see how well you accommodate the additional letter at the decreased spacing. Regularly change settings until the whole 40 lessons have been passed, and do not be afraid to reduce speeds for practice purposes and maintaining a realistic appreciation of on-air scenarios. You might find as I have, that with random-character lessons, it is almost impossible to achieve >90% using 20/20, despite being able to copy plain text 100% comfortably.

Posted: 2015-03-14 16:35
Hello Pascal,
You are right about Koch, he wants you to go at full speed. But he also tells you that the most effective speed to learn is 12/12. But certainly above 10wpm. Slower will bring you in the visual learning, which is the old path to learn cw (a waist of time). 20/10 is also working fine to learn, do not go to the next character as soon as you hit the 90%. But continue to the next lesson when you feel comfortable. Going to the next character to fast will hit you in the face, which leads to frustration and giving up.

Go for it Pascal, I am on air, very carefully and it is fun!!!

73, Johan

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $