Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (20)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Knowing

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2015-02-01 19:25
How many times do you have to hear something to know it. I have been listening to a 9 ----. for months, and yet, There are times when I hear it and my mind just goes blank. I mean what the heck! This is one of the easer ones to learn. Are we ever going to really learn this. In the morning when one starts with the first row of 50 it is nuts. Hit and miss at best at times. One must worm up I guess you could say. Then things go well. God help us if we should get sick and stop doing this for 30 day's. We may forget everything. Will this ever get to the point where we can say we know CW. I am on 32 and about to go to 33 in another day or so. I know there is never going to be and end to this. No end of the road. Still, I am getting to the end of this part and I am getting excited. The first mountain may be climbed yet.

Lynn

Posted: 2015-02-02 06:43
I feel your pain, Lynn. The number 9 is no problem for me; it's the slash, question mark, comma, F and L that trip me up the most. I am also on lesson 32, and I'm staying there until I'm comfortable and can recognize everything presented so far - at least better than I know them now.

How long did it take you to learn your letters and numbers in school, and become comfortable with them? You probably studied an hour or so a day for about 200 days just to learn the shapes of the letters and numbers. That's about 12000 minutes; so maybe after about 12000 CW lessons, we'll have this bloody code cased. :)

I sometimes practice reciting the CW for licence plates and signs while commuting, and while filling a sugar bowl today, I spelled 'sugar' in my head in CW. And I recognize the H that the local hospital's helipad flashes when there's a helicopter ambulance inbound.

It's torment not to KNOW CW, and it is a loong road to learn, but I am being patient, and will succeed. Practice, practice, practice, practice. Later, since, repeat...
Neil
VA5SCA

Posted: 2015-02-02 06:45
Stupid spell check... LATHER, rinse, repeat. And repeat Again.
Neil

Posted: 2015-02-02 10:44
Hi Badger - Lynn Wise, I understand your feeling of discouragement. I have been watching my partner persevering for the last two years. She often goes back to lesson 1 because of her feelings of inadequacy. She is no dummy, works as a school teacher with an approach like an engineer, yet she is still struggling with CW. There are times when I have suggested very strongly that she stop practicing, give it a break for a couple of weeks, then try again from where she left off. It's amazing how the rest time allows the brain to consolidate. Always she starts afresh with much better scores and advancement than expected. How about you try the same thing?

Be assured there is no chance of the 30 day total loss you mentioned. On the contrary, learning CW is like riding a bike - once learned you never forget. Or it's like a ratchet, always cranking around in the same direction and never slipping back. Are you able to go on the air? There's nothing like a bit of pressure to bring confidence and improvements. If you can't keep up, just ask your contact to go slower, use PSE QRS. Finding the correct code to send will not only feel like you're really achieving something, but it will also lock stubborn characters into your brain. Hope these comments help; don't lose hope, you willget there.

73 Fritz

Posted: 2015-02-02 18:35
What a nice letter Fritz. Thank you so much. I will try this. I have been at this for a long time and I will not give up now. This is a wonderful place to be to learn Cw. I am looking forward to getting to 40.
I do not understand why this is so hard. I have never strugled so much with anything. I want to be able to say that I know Cw so I will not give up now. Thank you again for giving me your time.

73 Lynn

Posted: 2015-02-14 05:58
Ooh, I just got only 3 wrong on lesson 32! Sorry, I on't mean to brag; I'm just being my own cheering section.:) And maybe there really IS a light at the end of the CW tunnel.

I'm happy to cheer on anyone else's successes too. :)

Neil

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $