ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (26)

Discussion forum for user group: Team Saskatchewan

Thread: Welcome!

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2015-02-01 02:51
I hope this will be a place for Saskatchewan CW students to discuss our [s]addiction[s] hobby, encourage each other, and maybe offer friendly challenges to help make learning fun.

Welcome to all who join!

Posted: 2015-02-11 18:41
Seems like a good program. I used to know code, but...use it or lose it, and I haven't been using it. So I have been re-learning the last few weeks using the MFJ-418 Morse Code Tutor. Its a great little device as well.

Posted: 2015-03-22 05:12
Hi test User: The Koch method works to get me knowing the letters. However, I'm not sure it's going to be much help in actually understanding Real World(TM) code. I got stuck on lesson 32, went back to lesson 30 for a while, and just today have advanced again to lesson 31. And I've found that it I can't understand properly, it helps to turn up the volume one notch. I also turned the charcte speed UP by 2 wpm to 22 wpm, which makes me listen to the rhythm of the charscters (I can't count dits at that speed). Theeffective speed is still only 5 wpm, but I'm quite flying along

Posted: 2015-03-22 05:18
The greatest benefit of LCWO is that it's free. :)

Another free resource is the Straight Key Century Club, at skccgroup.com. They have several "classic" novels in CW that you can listen to: The War of the Worlds, the Gettysburg Address, and others. I found I can follow Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky at 30 wpm! But I know the poem, so I'm kindda cheating. And I can't follow T.S. Eliot's Cats at any speed. :(

I'm getting to know the code, but it's sllow going. I don't want it to be work; it HAS to be enjoyable, so I am going slower than I'd like.

Posted: 2015-03-22 17:40
Now there's a bit of frustration: I can understand the chracters just as well at 22wpm as I could at 20 wpm. But when I go back to 20 wpm, they sound terribly slow, and it's actually harder to understand them. The error rate is about the same, though, since I have more time to make my usual mistakes.

I'll have to ask if the Farnsworth method is allowed during the official Canadian CW test.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $