Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (37)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: TX practising quality control

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2014-10-01 10:49
Hi,

I thought about wiring a morse key to a computer and use software like fldigi to do some quality control during practising sessions, i.e. measuring the length of the dits and dahs, the spacings etc. Any thoughts on that?

Regards
hmw

Posted: 2014-10-01 12:08
Hello hwm,

I use fldigi to learn the correct timing of my morse code.

Fldigi is an unforgiving teacher, however. I use an arduino based keyer with a Palm Paddle (http://blog.radioartisan.com/arduino-cw-keyer/). The audio output enters the microphone input of my notebook. I used a y-cable so that I can hear the generated morse code and enter it to the mic in at the same time. I tried to loop back from mic in to audio out under Linux. It worked but had a few ms delay. Therefore I could not correctly finish my letters and got more errors then necessary.

Now this setup works very well for me.

By the way, thanks to fldigi I realized that learning with Farnsworth timing affected how I give cw, too. Now is hard work for me to get a continuously written word with fldigi.

A totally different learning approach is described here:

http://www.ernstschroeder.de/downloads/helppcwfistchk.htm

The morse code is visualized and you can visually control your cw quality.

I did not try it as I am a Linux guy.

Sincerely

Karl-Heinz

Posted: 2014-10-01 12:41
Hello Karl-Heinz,

I thought fldigi has some kind of 'strip chart recorder' to visualise the stream of signs. Seems to be that's not the case. Damn senior moments ;). Anyways, I'm quite sure I have seen such a tool for Unix somewhere. Maybe just a software oscilloscope will do the trick. On the other hand, recording from the sound card and producing a graph like fistcheck seems to do can't be that hard.

Regards
hmw

Posted: 2014-10-01 15:01
hello hmw,

I did not really need the visual display, but I was curious. Audacity will do the job!! It looks just like fistcheck.

I did not fiddle with fldigi. Maybe the waterfall like display can achieve something similar.

Sincerely

Karl-Heinz

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.