User name:

Български Português brasileiro
Bosanski Català
繁體中文 Česky
Dansk Deutsch
English Español
Suomi Français
Ελληνικά Hrvatski
Magyar Italiano
日本語 한국어
Bahasa Melayu Nederlands
Norsk Polski
Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
Who is online? (12)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: sending

Back to the Forum


Posted: 2014-08-01 19:39
I am on lesson 18. When is a good time to perhaps start working on sending. I was thinking of waiting until lesson 20. Then just using the letters I have learned so far.
I do not want to start counting dit's and da's I am sure this may happen when learning to send.

Posted: 2014-08-02 11:44
I would not worry about sending until you finished the entire course. Sending is really the easy part, you'll be up and running in no time.
My personal opinion is that it's best to skip the manual key and start with a paddle/iambic keyer righaway, because this is what you will use on the air during your first years, but this seems to be an almost religious issue. At this time, just don't worry about sending; just read about the different keying devices.

Posted: 2014-08-03 02:21
I recently completed all 40 lessons. Then I decided to buy a keyer. I have an inexpensive straight key but I'm terrible at it. I bought a cwtouchkeyer, and I find it much easier to use, at least at my age (61). Old-timers usually tell you to start with a straight key, but I'm not sure it's true. It's probably just what they started with.

Posted: 2014-08-03 10:57
A key is the device you are manipulating with your hand. May be a bug (vibroplex), straight key, or Cootey key (side swiper or double speed key) a single paddle or a double paddle.

With the single or double paddle, not being a mechanical bug, you want a number of consecutive dits or dashes when you close the contact for a longer time duration.

That requires an electronic device that transforms a longer contact closure to a number of consecutive dashes or dots.

That device is called a keyer.

The keyer may be integrated with the key, or it may be integrated in the transmitter or being a separate device.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.