Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Hearing

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2014-06-19 22:10
It is amazing how much hearing has to do with this. One must learn to hear just the sound of each letter given. Not what makes up the letter. You must not hear the dits and das. Success seems to be directly tied into how one listens.
I had to leave this for a year to get the dits and das out of my mind. It is going better now. I have hope that I can do this.
I learned the code from a book. I have been able to send for a bit but I could not receive at all. I tried to learn this twice, for 6 months at a time. I just could not get the dits and das out of my mind. I made it up to lesson 21. I gave myself a one year break and I am now back trying to do this again. I do not want to give this up.
The dits and das are out of my mind at least for now. I cannot believe how much bettr this can be if one can learn to properly listen.
I hope this can help someone. This is what has helped me. I just listen to the sound of each letter given.

KI6WXM Lynn

Posted: 2014-06-20 18:37
Congratulations :) Keep ut with the good work.

Posted: 2014-06-21 00:15
Lynn,

I tip my hat to your persistence, which is a rare commodity in todays' always plugged in, instant gratification society.

Keep going Lynn, keep going.

Mike
W9MIC

Posted: 2014-06-23 06:55
I thank you for your comments. It is kind of you to take the time. I have hope that we all can do great at learning this. I have talked to so many that just could not do so. I have learned that not all can get there brain to accept this. I know they say that anyone can learn this but in my experience that is just not the case. Good luck to us all.
I think it is impressive just to try.

Posted: 2014-06-23 22:36
After learning dits and dahs written down and counting dits for numbers di di di di dah oh number 4...I too hit a wall and left the world of morse but for quite a while longer than you (14 years) but I am now back and have made contacts using morse and am working to improve my listening speed and get rid of bad habits.
I wish I had known to just learn morse by ear and not learn how to write it (a skill im sure I will never use).

Keep at the practice !

Posted: 2014-06-24 18:56
This is an interesting statement to me. I have learned that the real key to learning morse is to listen to the sound of each letter. Not what makes it up, but I write down each letter as I hear it. Perhaps I should only head copy. The problem with this is that I forget what I heard past a few letters. I am not at the point that I can recognize words. Perhaps Dean would comment a bit more on this. I would love to hear what you have to say.

Posted: 2014-06-24 23:58
I am brand new to CW, on lesson 3 "R" I keep getting the R and K mixed up...sometimes I do great other times not so much. In between listening sessions I have been using the TX training using my name and callsign. I find that when I am tired I get distracted easily then my copy to out the window.
I'm just plugging away and not being to hard on myself. I'm doing this not because I have to, no code requirement, but rather because I want to, that seems to make all the difference.

Posted: 2014-06-25 22:53
I think you misunderstood me a little, I wasn't talking of head copy (oh I wish I could)I do write down the letters however not how I first learnt them as .- but as an A
If I could do it all over again I would stick to learning by sound only, I learnt by first learning all of the characters by sight ._ A _... B etc this gives your brain something to relate to then the sound was played di dah which my brain had to translate into ._ then into A
Why bother learning the first steps of ._ when the aim is to translate di dah (the sound) into A in the first place.
I also learnt to count dits and dahs for the numbers for my morse test as morse was something you learnt to get you onto HF and not something you learnt for fun and to communicate with back when I first learnt it.
As I have said learning at too slow character speed and bad practice has made my receive speed suffer and put me off the mode for a lot longer than it should of done.

I now practice with a character speed of 20wpm and with a slower effective speed to build up my speed.
I use the morsemachine to build up instant recall of characters every day as a minimum for 10 minutes even if i cannot fit any other practice in this helps as I can do it even when tired and distracted and thus I dont get frustrated, I do NOT use it to get speed up and hardly ever look at the speed I am getting, I use it purely for drilling the characters into my mind and consistency seems to be my key.

I passed the 12wpm test 14 years ago but never felt confident enough to actually use it on air however a couple of months after re starting I made a few contacts on air and have enjoyed every one of them.

Sending practice is always after receive practice and when first learning I was told to echo characters to get the same spacing and rhythm which I used to do on my Datong D70 by setting it to send random morse with a big gap so I could echo each one sent.

On the subject of head copy I notice myself picking out often repeated phrases in on the air qso's like "fer rst tnx fb 73" and others the more I listen so maybe there is hope for the future :)

Posted: 2014-06-25 23:52
Thank you for answering. I understand. I am working about one hour in the morning I would say. I do 16 runs of 60 letters. That would be 8 lines 5 letters wide and 12 long. Perhaps it takes a bit longer. I must write them down and then put them in the computer. I cannot type like that as one of my hands is not just right. I then work about the same just before I go to bed. It is moving forward for me. I would love to learn this. I have set a gold for my self. Perhaps it would be better called a prize. If I can do this I will buy myself a new Key. A ( Stealth by Begali ) from Italy. A very expensive key but I hope to deserve it. Thank you again and I wish you the best with this. It is not so easy. I have heard so many say how easy it is but that has not proven to be the case with me. I think this may be an achievement for a life time for most of us. This is one of those things one can never stop learning.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $