Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (17)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: About Morse speed

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2014-04-10 12:39
During the learning process(random groups) I was wondering why sometimes, I loose a group or two, and thought, it was only a "loosing focus" matter. Sometimes it is, sometimes not.
The frustration was stronger when trying plain text training.
I use to listen at 20-22 wpm but don't get everything, sometimes,the text comes rushing over me and I have no chance copying for a short burst, than the storm goes away but I already lost some text.
I was intrigued, so, needed to overcome that laziness and did some computing. Here is what I got;
Started by using the 1200/wpm=e (element length in ms) formula and applied to each character in the aplphabet.
e=54.5454 ms at 22 wpm
using the usual timing standard(a dit=e, dah=3e and so on,) I took some words and random groups and of course PARIS, and computed their length.
I computed the actual speed finding out how many times a certain word(5characters or 10 characters for simplicity sake)is transmitted in 60s and converted this in wpm(every word gets a different speed this way)related to the chars contained.
This is what I get;
paris 2.73s actual speed 22wpm (110 chars/min)
eieid 1.85s actual speed 32,35wpm (162 chars/min)
deeds 2.18s speed 27.50wpm (137 chars/min)
cqj70 4.96s speed 12.09wpm (60 chars/min)
entreating 4.14s speed 28.95 wpm (145 chars/min)
nineteenth 3.33s speed 36.07 wpm(180chars/min)
Mystery solved!
It is obvious that I have to learn copying at higher speeds in order to easy copy a nice poem(The Raven by E.A. Poe) at standard 22wpm speed.
In this respect together with a new motivation of increasing my speed to the max limit I can get, I find call sign training, and word training, as great ways to increase speed for bursts and practice head copy.
Once the characters well imprinted, increasing speed is not such a problem, but... the great obstacle, I suppose, will be the writing speed.
Hope this will help others, to not get frustrated in their quest of learning Morse but understand that one needs to train at higher speeds than expected to receive.

Posted: 2014-04-20 17:11
learning on the edge of the curent abilities takes your full cpu power. No problem if you turn off the rest of your brain, and copy one letter by one, miss another one - but skip to the next letter w/o worrying about the missed bits.
(how you should do it)
============
now, when focus gets weaker.. and you miss the said occational character... you might feel tempted to instantly fill the gap - and while you think about it, youre out.. derailed...
============
...or.. youre coyping fine, word after word and suddenly you thoughts circle around the context of the telegram.... derailed.
============
your dog barks... derailed.

etc.

Anything that does not equal that ignorant/meditative state of copying one letter at a time, and just copy the next letter after a miss ....anything else... you derail.
========
Stay on track bro, thats the biggest secret i have to share. Forget mathematics, after 100 yrs of telegraphy - you will not find out anything new there. trust me :-)

//
73 OH8XAT (ex navy operator, ham license w/ telegraphy since 87)

Posted: 2014-04-21 11:50
Thanks Timo, for you keen observations;
condensed, to the point. This is what one experiences through the learning process. Totally agree and couldn't find a better way of explaining this.
I am a curious guy though, so, knowing how, I also need to know why.
For me this computation was the trigger to build custom groups with the first 10 shortest letters and alternatelly use this feature in training.

Regards,
Gelu, YO5CRR,
licensed with telegraphy since 1980. I lost contact with the hobby for the last 23 years. Started learning again last year.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $