Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (12)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Typing "?" ... losing rhythm

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2009-02-20 11:09
Hi Fabian, absolutely brilliant programme. Obviously I would not be typing message if I didn't have a question!

Working away brilliantly with your programme until we come to the dreaded "?" in Lesson 32. This does cause me great problems due to having to use the SHIFT KEY.

Trying to learn Morse, increase speed and rhythm is what we are ultimately aiming for and it does take some "keyboard skills and agility" to be able to pop the SHIFT KEY and not lose rhythm.

It is the only character that we need to use the SHIFT KEY on in the whole of the Lessons. I am a qualified "touch typist" but do find this rather off-putting to miss the SHIFT KEY and then we've lost the rhythm.

Is there perhaps an "unused" character close by that could be used? (ooooooh the dreaded "?") I am not a systems person but we do have people in IT that can put different characters onto other keyboard layouts. Perhaps the semi-colon (;) would accommodate.

I do not think you have a method within the structure of leaving out the (?) or perhaps, only a thought, it could be made the last Lesson. Then it would be up to you if you did Lesson 40 (suggestion only).

Sorry to sound as if I am pulling the programme apart (no way) ... only that coming up against the SHIFT sequence does throw me and I imagine others especially if you are not a proficient typist, perhaps down to a couple of fingers!

Only a thought/suggestion Fabian. Still going to continue using and enjoying the learning!

Many thanks for a superb and long-awaited on-line Morse programme.

FRANK (MW1RES) UK
Administrator

Posted: 2009-02-20 21:31
Hi Frank,

this is funny, because W2UP suggested exactly the same thing, accepting ";" for a "?". It is already implemented in the code groups mode, and I will add it to the Koch Course as soon as possible. Probably on Tuesday, when I (finally, after two long weeks offline!) will get my ADSL at home fixed. Currently I can only access the web from the club station, where I am now :)

73, Fabian

Posted: 2009-02-21 16:04
Hi Fabian,

Once again let me say how much this programme has helped me, many thanks!

That will be great changing the keyboard layout ... glad to see I was not alone but it is all part of "the learning curve" and will help me untangle my fingers.

This is one serious Morse Code learning method that owes a lot to your patience Fabian.

73, Frank
Administrator

Posted: 2009-03-04 22:03
It took a little longer than expected, but now ";" is accepted for "?" in the lessons.

Good luck!

Fabian

Posted: 2009-03-05 20:06
Another option is using the utility AutoHotKey to reprogram any key you like.

Posted: 2009-03-11 17:12
Many thanks Fabian - wow is that easier!

Also thanks Barry (W2UP) for info.

73, Frank (MW1RES)

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $