Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (29)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Question on speed...

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2013-11-10 19:04
Hi, i'm facing this problem : since i'm trying the lcwo lessons at 28 wpm i found difficulties to write down the letters unless i put wider space between them (set the effective speed to 10wpm). Now the point is that i can decode mentally the characters at 28 wpm with the normal space but if i don't put them on the paper i can't control my errors!! any suggestion? TU

Posted: 2013-11-11 11:13
You can only check your errors if you can record what you hear fast enough, so there's no point in running the lessons any faster than that if you want to score them. Once your Morse receiving is faster than you can write or type you might as well shift to recording the important information in the messages, and stop worrying about character-by-character accuracy.

Posted: 2013-11-11 12:59
TU Rick, i see your point. But what to do if the information in the message is the letters sent by LCWO? there's no sense in terms of "meaning" and there's no time to type or write. Does it mean it's not possible to use lcwo over a certain speed?

Posted: 2013-11-11 16:30
So far I haven't run into this problem, since I'm learning a bit differently.

With some practice though, it seems to me that typing at this speed should be possible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute

You could also try to learn stenotype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute#Stenotype

Seeing that the Guinness world record for stenotype is at 360 WpM, this would also leave you a little space for CW speed improvements. :-)

Posted: 2013-11-11 19:25
Yes, the speed at which you can write or type sets a limit on the speed at which you can use the lcwo lessons for checking your progress. For higher speeds, try the word and callsign training exercises instead.

...and don't forget that real Morse QSOs will involve words, abbreviations and callsigns, not random strings of characters.

Posted: 2013-11-11 21:37
Mau,

You don't need the lessons at all, (when your license call is IZ0GPP)

Don't trolling around here, and start exercising words in Italian or English. Then you got one word and you have the time as long as you need to type in what you did think you copied. Soon you will copy faster then any expensive key can produce.

Posted: 2013-11-11 21:44
Right Rick, i agree 100%. thanks for your help!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.