Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (18)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Very old newbie

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2013-09-16 01:22
I got my General in June and am still getting the station squared away, with the help of an Elmer. Being 76 I'm proud to know some of the cells are still firing. I am on lesson 2 and think I'll go back to 1 again. Damn, adding the 3rd letter put me back in kindergarten. I may have made a mistake by ordering a key! The rest of you guys look really good.
[deleted]

Posted: 2013-09-16 10:17
Hi Al, you are welcome.

You get the chance to proof that though oldbees learn somewhat slower, they have the required persistance to finish the job they start. So we are watching your progress, in order to prove that statement.

Ordering a key is not bad, cuz u need a key in order to be able to go SK.

Posted: 2013-09-16 22:17
SK! Damn, don't rush me!

Posted: 2013-09-17 13:23
Al,

I am/was elmering a friend that wanted to learn code after retirement. LCWO is great, but a human elmer helps in times of frustration.

Think about who could help you learn code in your neighbourhood or over the air.

We have even an organised way to find an elmer in Germany (Morsefreund), that may exist in the states, too?

GL

Gerd.

Posted: 2013-09-27 23:30
i have been trying this on and off for years . It to me is hard . I can send , just cant copy . Still have a few letters that give me problems . I ttry to listen on the air but it is all way to fast . UGh !!!! Like others , i picture it or count it and then its gone, three letters went by . Not easy I must say . I will prevail or I wont ever make a qso .

Posted: 2013-09-28 00:06
Maybe it helps if you do some wordtraining here on lcwo?
I have started wordtraining a few days ago, and allready made some progress.
But offcourse, go on with trying and you will provail. Good luck!!

Posted: 2013-09-28 01:30
Thanks, I will . What really makes me nad is my Dad has not coppied code in 60 years and he still can . He hates the stuff and he dont know why anyone would learn on purpose

Posted: 2013-09-28 16:29
As a child is was fascinated by the sound of morsecode. Ik could not understand what is was they where sending.
Now, i even enjoy learning cw, it has something mysterious.
You really have to learn it, otherwise you can't understand what they are sending, except for some letters maybe.
And offcourse not everybody likes cw.
If you HAT to learn it, then i can imagine that you hate it, still after so many years.
But the positive thing about cw is, in my opinion, that you can work the whole world with low power.
With phone(spoken word) that can be much more difficult.
So, that for me is also a reason to learn cw.

Posted: 2013-09-29 10:33
IMO cw is the only difference between a CB and a licensed appliance operator, somebody using CW without decoder demontrates he has perseverance in his character. THAT is something you can't buy with a bunch of green bills.

Posted: 2013-09-29 23:10
I finally got past lesson 2; the 3rd letter threw me for a while. So now on lesson 3 I have found by slowing down Character Speed to 18 and Effective Speed to 9 I can follow better. Whether I can pick up the speed later on remains to be seen. Even though learning CW is hard, I intend to keep going. I don't understand why a ham would want to use a machine to send code, and at insane speeds?
[deleted]

Posted: 2013-09-30 09:47
us2farms:
I don't understand why a ham would want to use a machine to send code, and at insane speeds?

That is because sometimes there is a rain of falling stars, meteorites burning in the atmosphere, they make ionisation and hence there are ham connections possible, but only for a very short time. In that case machine generated insane speeds may be used. (meteor scatter)

In normal conversation (rag chewing) you will be all sat with 12 thru 20 wpm. Fast conversation becomes easier, just like reading text is much easier to copy then listening to a spelled out word.

A less frustrating learning method: go to 20/5 in your new lesson. Work till you got the first time 90% score. Increase to 20/6 and do the same. Do that till you reach 20/10 before going to the next lesson with 20/5 again.

You also can complete the course with 20/5, repeat the course with 20/7 and repeat the course agn with 20/10.

Never exercise longer then 15 minutes a day, and do it every day WITHOUT EXEMPTION.

Posted: 2013-10-02 01:24
Chairefone, thanks for the suggestion/advice. I will try it. You really should start eating more; your icon shows you wasting away. Maybe Lifestyle Lift would help.

O.K., communication during meteor scatter makes sense. But this old fud will stick with straight key for earthbound CW. Maybe in a year.

Posted: 2013-10-02 19:28
Clairefone, the 20/5 approach is helping. I finally got past the 90%, but will continue the 20/5 until I can do it consistently. Good suggestion.
[deleted]

Posted: 2013-10-02 20:49
Al, you can create your own fan club on this web site. There you are the moderator, you can show your own progress graph there, and you get advice. Mainly from nitwits. DO IT.

You get a hot burning flame and a pepper spray in your ass when it turns out you do not exercise dayly 15 minutes.

Keep the adagium alive that the old bees are really persevering in contrary with the youth, and that they show it here in your person. YOU will be the proof, so make it become true.

Yes, I know, I am on diet in Her Majesty prison Dartmoor, for a long long time already, And starvation keeps the lifelong enprisonment payable for government, because it shortens my life time.

Posted: 2013-10-20 21:36
Hey, Chairefone

Is there room for another old timer on this board?
[deleted]

Posted: 2013-10-21 12:28
Sure there is, especially because I am aftraid that us2farms Al Carty already quit learning in lesson 3.

I thought the old bees should demonstrate a little more perseverance then youth, but I am afraid this is wishful thinking.

But you can't be really an old timer, because those guys had to learn the code anyway, in order to obtain any kind of license, isn't it?

Posted: 2013-10-21 14:03
PCL1H44 is probably Dutch, just as I am, and I know he is going to make it (just as I did, hi).

PCL1H44 is not an oldbee, so what about perseverance of old bees? They better smoke their stinking cancer-cigar, drink their 80% Stroh-Rum, don't accept the risk of cancer AFTER they got it, fight 'Iron Hein' as said in the SK-msg after they pass away, fighting probably with the same perseverance they demonstrate when learning the code.

Forget about 'the old' preaching the youngsters, what they never during their life did and didn't do by themselves. (MUST be distorted English)

Perseverance is proven when you have learned the Code successfully. Be proud of it, just as I am, that I did it.

Posted: 2013-10-21 15:09
Learning cw is all about perseverence, no matter what your age is.
But i do think that maybe the younger ones would learn faster, but that the olderbees have more perseverance.
But in the end, it is all about perseverance.
I can say to everyone who is learning cw: it will get better !! Keep on going on, do NOT quit when you have a bad day with learning cw.
Everyone has to find his/her best way to learn cw.
What works for me, does not have to work for someone else.
And to pd0ldb: yes i am Dutch :) Zeeuw om precies te zijn, en die geven bij voorbaat al niet op HI.

Posted: 2013-10-25 00:49
No, no Greg, us2farms has not given up on learning. Just a little setback due to minor problem with wife's health. She is back and healthy so I am back and struggling with the hideous code. I intend to learn this thing. My late brother was a radioman on a destroyer in Halsey's fleet. I don't know how he had to learn the code, but it must have been a nightmare crash course. I will be sending code someday, if only as a memorium.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.