Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (21)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: going up

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-06-14 18:17
I have been at 17/11 for a bit now. I have just gone up to 18/11 mostly just to see if I could do it. I tried it for about 1 hour. Now I find 17/11 is a bit to slow. The problem is that I cannot write this fast. It is not bad on random copy but on word training it is just impossible.

What is one to do now. Ha! The words seem to come faster than random letters. I know I can slow it down. I also know there is a bit of a trick to this. Like many of us I am trying to work up to about 25wpm. There is now way to write this down at this speed.

What to do now.??
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-06-14 23:52
If you desire comprehension and conversation, which is likely for word training, then understand the message before recording. In other words, as n0hff wrote long ago, drop the pencil. If you desire to copy NTS traffic, then I advise you to train with your "pencil." Sorry, I do not know of any tricks. I myself switched to head copy once I had reached an effective speed of 5 wpm. This serves me well in QSOs and ragchewing. I only write down key words that will trigger my memory of what was said. However, I find it very difficult to copy verbatim, with pencil or keyboard, extended text above 20 wpm. So if there are any tricks, I would like to know as well. It seems to me, one must turn off comprehension and reduce copy to a mechanical reaction of the fingers to improve speed in this regard. But I have read of people who excelled at this, and must admit I do not understand their experiences enough to comment. Perhaps others here may be able to help.

Posted: 2012-06-19 13:55
I practice the lessons now at 16/16 and this is about the max speed at which I can keep up with typing on the keyboard.
For me, writing on paper is a total disaster, as in daily life I don't write much (contrary to typing.....)
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-06-19 16:40
N0SSS

When I listen to QRQ plain text, and type or write (write max 40 wpm when standard spaced) it out, it is not just copy the way you are supposed to copy random characters, sure not, I recognise the word, by the first 3 or 4 characters, that tells me what it may be, adjust the guess when it turns out in the middle something else, and the tail is for deciding it is plural, singular a verb or what have you.

So in fact I touch type or write words that I know what they are and mean and hence can comprehend the story. Typing like it were random characters is frustrating and much slower.

Yes typing and writing and just listening without both, are just the skills I am working on with off line exercising programs.

So my experience is that I copy much more reliable QRQ plain text when I listen to the words and understand them instead of just copying characters like they were random distributed.

Understandable because your writing skill is normally writing what you tkink or hear and comprehend.

It is amazing to find out how much your speed is degrading when listening to wide spaced code exercises on this website.

That is obviously a separate skill.
So I am afraid that people exercising till lesson 40 still can't copy plain text. It should IMHO be better when they start copy words composed of the subset of characters they master, try to copy by head, making easy by repetition, and typing them out in WORD exercises on this website.

However any ideas put in the wish list are not reacted on. Not my problem, but a problem for the guys desiring to learn Morse code, and who are not able to program their own wishes on their PC
and do not have the understanding of the way you have to follow in training in order to reach your goal.

Posted: 2012-06-20 19:30
I don't know, Chairefone -- I did the 40 lessons, and they helped a lot to learn the letters. Now I'm playing around with word training and plain text training, as well as repeating 100 common words over and over in an offline program. I'm starting to recognize some words when I listen to some online CW streams (CNN news and ARRL code practice).

So yeah, in a sense random character practice will limit your ability to copy at higher speeds (when you need to hear words instead of just letters), but I think it's a good jump-off point. Just like we learn the alphabet before learning how to read... I think the random characters practice is fine as long as you know you're not done once you master that skill--you then move on to words and phrases, which, as you said, is a different skill.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.