Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (18)

Discussion forum for user group: QRP CW: Less Power, More Fun

Thread: Foerget it

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2011-09-05 17:06
I just want to emphasize that QRP is not what is advertised.

1. When I work a QRP stn (my PEP = 100 Watt) I am very tired after one QSO because I have to mend the pieces of text that were just above noise together in order to image what was sent.

So may be it is nice for YOU to work a guy with 100 mW but the guy is exhausted and is CL after the QRP QSO.

2.Furthermore when I work a QRP station, when they are transmitting, the band appears empty so somebody is calling on the frequency QRL? I answer but they don't understand (as real hams) and start CQ.

3. When you work QRP you are hardly or not heard, so administration thinks: That frequencies are not in use, so we can - without problem - admit data over powerline or whatever to spoil those frequencies. Spoiling RF bands is ceaper then shielding all the power lines.

QRP = BULLSHIT

Posted: 2012-03-22 20:05
Totally disagree, sure that are some challenges with QRP but that's all part of the game. Let's not confuse bad manners from some hams with the fine art of QRP.
These challenges force the ham to improve on feedlines, antenna and everything aound the station to tap every possible db out of the setup.
There's much satisfaction to work a station thousands of km away on 5 Watt. This is also one of the reasons I learn CW - it's much more efficient than working SSB.

Posted: 2012-06-27 18:32
I also cant´t agree with test user. Surely it´s not easy to work a qrp stn, but it´s a challenge to hold this communication alive. Not every ham is owner of a big garden to raise a tower with a big beam or qubical quad antenna; others are not allowed to use a big antenna on top of the roof. These hams must look for alternatives. One chance for these amateurs is working only qrp. To get more contacts cw is the best oportunity to do so.
The big guns with nice pa´s will get all they want and they will certainly have only a few "heavy" contacts" - as described from test user -with small signals from qrp-stns. The qrp-stn on the other hand may sometimes call a long time to get in contact with other hams. Our experimental hobby calls for building own rigs, antennas and improve fead lines etc. If this is not what we want, it´s easier to chat over internet or mobil-phones. Let all hams find what is possible for them or what they are interested in ;-)
till on the band, 73 de DL6YES

Posted: 2012-11-29 21:12
Likewise, I do not agree with test user. I have been working qrp voice for over a decade now. Certain I don't get much in terms of contacts outside my state, but I do get some unique challenges bringing in other qrp voice signals when going simplex. I have really enjoyed my years as a qrper. Now I am trying to really "knuckle down" and learn cw so I can take that next step. Also, I am one of those hams who can't set up an antenna farm. I might be able to set up a simple wooden tower, but that will be about it. I don't have room for more. Also, I have neighbors who are a bit uninformed about amateur radio and may take a few years to gain their acceptance in that area, so qrp also helps me to keep in good graces with my neighbors.

Posted: 2017-11-28 19:46
I disagree also, from my QRZ logbook

2017-11-24 21:18 5KØT 15m 21.275 SSB EK94vi San Andres and Provi San Andrs Is - November 2017 DXpedition Yaguarete Dx Group
10 Watts SSB

2017-11-24 21:10 TO2SP 15m 21.280 SSB FK87ov St. Barthelemy Polish DXpedition 2017
10 watts SSB

2017-11-24 20:54 TO2SP 17m 18.125 SSB FK87ov St. Barthelemy Polish DXpedition 2017
10 watts SSB

KK4LBJ - Wayne

Posted: 2019-11-15 13:14
test:
When I work a QRP stn (my PEP = 100 Watt) I am very tired after one QSO ...

Nobody needs to answer to weak signals if he is not well trained to do wireless traffic.

They can use a cell phone, thats less exhausting to those poeple.

Posted: 2020-12-09 22:50
Sorry that the "test user" didn't have a good experience with low power operation. I've been on-the-air as a ham for almost 60 years and have always been fascinated with communicating with minimum power, usually 5-Watts or less. Small portable and mobile QRP rigs with simple antennas can be transported to locations on mountain tops or on the ocean or in aircraft and can offer the thrill of world-wide DX under the right conditions! Sure, a multibuck killowatt rig with a 100-foot tower and high gain antenna will buy you all the contacts you can imagine but, unfortunately, it takes few skills to QRM the bands with a blockbuster signal! I hope "test user" will keep listening for those of us who are operating in unusual circumstances with interesting low power rigs! There will always be uses for Piper Cubs as well as Boeing 747s!
73, DE WA4A

Posted: 2022-11-13 03:54
So often I will hear these guys running a Kilo, they are so strong, but they can't hear anyone else. Eventually maybe they hear someone and they'll have a QSO and you learn the other guy is also running some sort of coffee warmer.

You can't work what you can't hear, no matter how much power you have.

Time and time again I will get reports that I'm 5NN, solid copy, totally FB and I'm running 5 or less Watts.

Based upon my personal experience I will therefore make two recommendations for "test user". First is to invest in your antenna system and the receive side of your station. Maybe some filtering too. Again, you can't work the stations you can't hear.

The second recommendation would be to clean up your language and learn to communicate in a more positive manner. You will be amazed at the opportunities that open up for you in life as a result of that single, simple change. Try it and see!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.