Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (11)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: This is so fantastic!

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2011-06-19 01:26
sorry this is not a useful thread or anything, i just think it's so awesome to be able to learn morse code like this!! I think my friends think i'm crazy - lol. exciting, i wish there was still an actual need for morse to be used. am only up to lesson 9 and can only imagine how much harder it will be to immediately recognise 26 letters etc Anyhow, have fun everyone. Can we chat to each other on this site using morse ?? cheers :-)

Posted: 2011-06-19 18:07
rabotaj pacan!!!
Administrator

Posted: 2011-06-20 06:04
micky78:
Can we chat to each other on this site using morse?

Unfortunately not. But there are some systems which allow it, e.g. http://www.mrx.com.au/

Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2011-06-22 04:40
Danke Fabian. No worries. I have just found an Australian Morse Code club - Augezeichnet! and just changed from 10 to 15 wpm - so schnell fur mich!
tschuss
Michaela

Posted: 2011-06-22 09:25
Is the mrx and CWCom software free? It appears to need a paid registration.
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-06-22 13:26
Keep it stupid simple.

You take a tone producing buzzer, key it with your key and some power source on and off. Put it in front of the microphone of your notebook. Use skype. Skype is a free program that allows people that are handicapped because they don't master Morse Code, to talk to each other via their PC's and make a sked to somebody in a User Group forum here, named "Skype Morse Skeds" with Skype to chat in Morse Code.

I am not QRV, 55
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-06-23 15:48
Father Time,

Hooked all up as you discribed and I am having a great time with cw practice again.

Tnx,

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2011-06-25 21:27
Michaela, you seem to be german. Me too. I actually do not know where to use CW except for emergency like they show it in films. I'd really would like to know why someone learns it. I do it for fun and I think it might be of use in some situations. What are you learning it for?

Posted: 2011-06-27 09:10
Why do some people climb mountains
people can survive at ground level fine!!!!!!!!!!!
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-06-27 13:25
Nice thought Ronald G4GWC,

It is because apes can survive at groundlevel, and they do, but humans want to explore boundaries, with (one tiny) result that you are able to give your thoughts to me and I give you my response here.

Posted: 2011-07-06 02:28
Hi Sergio, actually I am Australian, but learnt German at school (und naturlich hab' viel vergessen!) I enjoy learning languages so I learn Morse for fun too, really just because i've always been curious about whether i could. I think it may be useful in some emergency situations, although few come to mind where other forms of communication wouldn't be available... I will now be looking out for it in films. Cheers M
Administrator

Posted: 2011-07-06 05:12
The main reason to learn Morse code is that it's fun!

It's still used by thousands of radio amateurs every day, and although it's no longer a requirement for a license in most countries, it's still extremely popular.

Fabian

Posted: 2011-07-06 11:22
Still,

It is funny why people are fascinated to learn code. There must be something mystical about it since it is no more than just an intermitting tone of a single frequency.

Alex
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-07-06 15:42
Alex,

Why are you and other's here so worried about why people want to learn morse code because there is not any use for it anymore?

That's the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard of.

Live life to it's fullest and if you find something in life that is challenging and fun, it will give you lots of enjoyment.

If there is one main reason that everyone should learn morse code, it's for the fact that if you continue to work on it, it will keep your mind active and spry.

We all know that as we get older and up in age, our mind begins to dwindle away but you can try to prevent that by keeping it in an active state by practicing cw.

You have a fellow countryman that has been a ham almost his entire life and has always been a cw operator and still loves it. At almost 100 years old, he is one of the sharpest guys around with a mind of a youngster. In his case, his body will go long before his mind.

I have a lot of respect for him for what he has done and continues to do with his mind.

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-07-06 21:17
PA0FOX

I agree with AH8DX. By the way FYI BS is Bull Shit.

In the past CW was compulsary, for legal admittance of HF bands, that was very good because the chauffer had to learn electronics AND CW, the professor in electronic engineering had to learn CW anyway and his intellect didn't help him to do that. Quite honest. Recently there was an egg head here, professor in artificial intelligence, but he left because (I suppose) he was not able to learn Morse code in the way he thought to know it better, and do it in a few weeks.

And ONLY people with character and willpower to finilize the CW course had admittance to the hf bands. Very good.

The ham spirit was there nearly by definition because all guys (and gals) had a hard time to enter the club.

Fone hams nowadays KNOW that, they want to be real hams and buy an expensive paddle to show that on their QSL card. When they finally pass away , never using that paddle, but the mike, they are announced to be SK, Silent Key? Come on, the were always Silent Key but then SM Silent Mike.

SK has to be reserved for CW working hams only.
I handed a petition at ARRL headquarters, but the majority of representatives in Arlington is not able to use the code on ear, so they turned it down, because they want to show their unused paddles, hand crafted, on their QSL cards, and want to be SK in their final destination.

CW is a wonder, a miracle, because you have a build in band pass filter in your brain and you are able to decode CW in noise and QRM far better than a computer is able to do that.

I admire my creator by performing my contacts in CW and hence using the build in mind capabilities.

Tip for QRQQ guys around here: switch from sine wave so saw tooth,
(ramp) in rufzxp, because the crosscorrelation between the orthagonal complete set of Walsh function components of Morse coded characters is then less than square wave or sine functions in the Walsh domain. So you will be able to copy in the Walsh domain better than with sine waves.
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-07-07 02:23
Nice!

Been using (SAWTOOTH) since Day 1. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the FADE IN and FADE OUT numbers. Fade In has always been at 0.1ms and Fade Out at 0.3ms.

I hate messing around with stuff that has worked for me for so long so I hesitate to do any tweeking. Just don't have the experience to know any better I guess.

I use the saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". (Not proper English grammar)

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2011-07-11 07:43
I think I did hit a sensitive point. There is no use in trying to explain why CW is magical.

Been there, did the exam, hated CW but it was necessary and did not have the faintest idea why I bought that Junker back in those days. Must have had a blackout.

It just had to take two decennia before it became fun. I've been infected as well now.

But still, it is not strange to sometimes stand still and be amazed why it is fun?

It is hard work but fun.
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-07-11 11:50
Yeah,

Right, CW is magical because it is the only digital communication method that uses build in qualities of the human brain, in the field of Huffman coded pattern recognition, and adaptive band filtering and hence it is the only code that can be efficiently used for digital communication without any artefacts.

Hams are usually proud of their purchased equipment, and some people are proud to have gained proficiency or knowledge, sport , music, ham radio, you mention it.

According to my opinion thats the only and exclusive reason to be proud on something, when you gain proficiency in whatever, jiggling 6 balls, driving a 1 wheel bike, performing CW, etc
by will power perseverance adaptive planning and patience for years, in order to reach your goal.

I see right now one exception, shouting 36 consecutive hours in a mike with accompanying brain damage in order to get high ranking in a radio contest.

Thats the same level of civilisation as swallowing 108 raw chicken eggs within 5 minutes in order to be world champion raw egg swallowing and enter the Guinness book of records.

I am lucky that, as a postman in a rural area, and not gifted with egg head brains, I am able to gain proficiency in CW, its hard working.

Something to be proud of, anything better than being proud of buying with easy obtained money a Japanese tranceiver.

Bah Blugh

Posted: 2011-07-11 14:04
Pride?

Hmmm, I only smell pride in CW proficiency when using it for 36 consecutive hours sending "CQ TEST" even when nothing is been tested.

With CW I instead of 'pride' think more of 'fun'.
I am far better in foxhunting than I will ever be in CW, but both give me a 'fun' factor.
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-07-11 15:10
There are people that absolutely are not able to do anything particular and those have the habits you can watch in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OU1mW0Ty_Y
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-07-11 17:12
nou nou as ik babelvis ken bergeipe is dat hiero un haup geouwehoer.

Posted: 2011-07-21 09:23
终于找到了!这是一个非常好的学习莫尔斯的网。我将从这里开始!谢谢!
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-07-21 11:44
八十八

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.