Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (40)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Stuck on a letter

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2010-12-18 08:10
After one year I have progressed to lesson 18, but now I find I cannot get my attempts under 10% error, due to confusing F & Z, and sometimes L. Most practices I get no "F"'s correct. I customised code groups with F Z & L and then I can discern the different letters, but as soon as I am back to the full list of letters for lesson 18, I have a problem with F again. Does anyone have any other suggestions, other than keep trying?
I know that a year learning is a long time, but I do practice most days at a speed of 22 and 10, but not for long.
Catherine
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-12-18 16:02
Make a subset of f z l d q y w and u as exercising material. (In sofar those characters were in lesson 1 thru 18) and do lessons till you always make over 95%.

After that add subsequently in your lessons the already learned other characters from lesson 1 - 18 and proceed only if you always make 95% correct to lesson 19. Do this for at least 15 minutes a day.
Probably this will solve your problem.

Posted: 2010-12-19 20:58
I am having mzself problems with confusing some letters when increasing speed.

I am, too, using customised code groups, but with RUFZXP trainer mode.

I find this more efficient since I get immediate feedback on errors with RUFZXP while I still remember the sound of the previous group that Icopied with errors.

May I suggest you move away from "Koch" timing to standard timing and identify the speed (character speed = effective speed) at which currently you have 0% errors?

Then slowly work your speed while staying close to 0% errors, not 10%.

Give it a try for a month or so with daily training.

Gerd.

Posted: 2010-12-21 11:34
Thanks for suggesting RUFZXP, which I have now downloaded. I think I will try both each day.
Catherine

Posted: 2010-12-22 12:00
I had the exact same problem with the f back in '97. I kind of related the morse rhythm (dididadit) to a short sentence (in Dutch "effe wachten" which means "wait a minute"). While the first word holds two F's and pronounciation starts with F, I know automatically write down the F. I'm currently polishing up my 12 wpm but when I listen on the bands to higher speed QSO's, the only letter I recognise actually is the letter "F" because I hear the sentence in my head HI. Can't you make a sentence or riddle to the letter F starting with an F? Like "Feed the birdies" (dididadit). It worked for me.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-12-22 18:11
PA3HHO:
but when I listen on the bands to higher speed QSO's, the only letter I recognise actually is the letter "F" because I hear the sentence in my head HI.

Thanks Pleun,
[edit] That is a noticable remarkable phenomenon, important for theory building of the way how to learn CW

Nice ukelele on ur picture. Do you confirm that musicians are easier able to learn the rithm of the code and get proficient, or do you think that musicians are more able because they are used to exercise a lot, which is certainly a requirement for learning Morse code?

Posted: 2010-12-22 23:42
I guess so. Forgot to mention that I have the same word/sentence relation with the "G" (I hear "Go Go Girl") and "J" (last three dah's I hear "ja ja ja" is Dutch for "yes yes yes"). I think the trick works for any of the characters. I now noticed that when I practice with character speed op 15 wpm but at a 12 wpm pace, writing down the characters is more a reflex. In other words, increasing the speed avoids "thinking" and seems to increase the reflex which I think is better.

I passed my 12 WPM morse code test in less than half a year after I started practicing (started practicing in November '97, passed the test in May '98). I think that for musicians morse code is relatively easy because we're used to rhythm. I don't practice a lot but just enjoy playing. That's the way to learn music I guess; just do it. The discipline to practice (CW) actually is the hard part for me. I'm now polishing up my CW rusty CW at 12 WPM via this site. I'm now at lesson 21 with less than 10% mistakes. Try to do at least one lesson every week. Then I'm hoping to speed up to 15 wpm.

Posted: 2010-12-29 09:04
Using words for CW is also a common practice in Scouting. I've got only a Dutch list, http://www.scoutquest.com/nl/scout/tech/morse/morse.shtml.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-12-29 12:22
Woeka:
http://www.scoutquest.com/nl/scout/tech/morse/morse.shtml.

Nice site Joris. Youth has the future.
One comment: Never translate in written dits and dashes, because Morse code is (right now, not in the very beginning) all about sound, not pictures.

I copy Morse code well above average speed, but I have to translate printed dots and dashes in my mind first to sound, before I recognise slowly what is written.

They better omit that translating page, or convert is to a sound translation.

Posted: 2011-01-15 22:41
By using custom letters of F,Z & L and then adding some more letters sometimes, I have finally been able to complete lessons getting these letters correct most of the time. I also practised each day with RUFZ in training mode, which also has the ability to choose custom letters. I have since progressed a few more lessons, as the next letters I have found "easy"; it has just been F,Z & L that were confusing for me.

Posted: 2011-01-30 19:37
I hear Morse 'f' dididahdit as, "Did I fail it?" with a visual image of waiting for test results to be handed back in class. This is from the Code Quick course. Try it and see if it works for you.

Posted: 2011-02-02 09:06
Hi all,

Seems I am not the only one! after even 3 lessons, I seem to be hopelessly stuck!
The first group seems to be ok, the second on starts to blur and then it might as well be Latin!
I have tried to decrease the char-speed, but as that made matters worse I cranked it back up.
Even attributing "words" to the sound & pitch of every letter, doesn't seem to get me an inch forward!
Oh Wee!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.