Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (17)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Russian Morse Alphabet

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2010-09-15 18:38
Hello, and as you've probably guessed this is my first post to the forum.

Can anybody point me to a place where I might find information about the Russian Morse alphabet? I plan on learning Russian soon, and would also like to venture into the Morse side of things - since CW is my main mode of operation here. I've attempted typing Russian Characters into the online translator, however this does not seem to work. I've not been able to understand a lot of the results Google has thrown up, but I gather Russian Morse could all be to do with similar-sounding Roman letters? A number of the sites I have come across have appeared to be very graphical, and due to me being totally blind this has been completely inaccessible.

Speaking generally, can anyone help me regarding learning Morse in any language which does not use the Latin Alphabet? As well as amateur radio, languages are one of my passions!

I hope I'm making at least an atom of sense here!*Grin*.

Regards,

Mark (GW0WGK)
Administrator

Posted: 2010-09-15 20:29
Hi Mark,

the cyrillic Morse alphabet can be found here; not sure how well the table is readable for you, but it's text-only:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other_alphabets_in_Morse_code#Cyrillic

The letters which are equivalent or similar share the same code. Some easy words and names, for example Anna = Анна are exactly the same in Latin and Cyrillic Morse code. Other letters, which have no equivalent (like ...- / V / Ж) are completely different.

LCWO currently doesn't support non-Latin characters, but the underlying CW generator engine ebook2cw (http://fkurz.net/ham/ebook2cw.html) does. It accepts utf-8 encoded input and supports Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic and Hebrew Morse code. The latter Three are probably rarely used, if ever :-)

hw?

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2010-09-18 18:39
Hello,
I'm sorry to bother the forum again, only I seem to be experiencing signicant difficulty in reading the table at the link provided. I think the main problem is understanding the code equivalents, as it does not appear to be using a --- or ... combination. In the 'code section of the table I'm just seeing a combination of bullet symbols, which I'm finding hard to interpret. I know this is a big ask, but is there any chance of someone converting it into a more readable format, or is there anywhere where I might obtain an audio recording of the Cyrillic alphabet?

Again I'm sorry to b a nuisance, only the current table I have does not appear to be reding well at all. Perhaps someone can explain the table and that could clarify things?

Mark (GW0WGK)
Administrator

Posted: 2010-09-18 19:14
Hi Mark,

no worries. Here's a hopefully more readable list. First Cyrillic letter, then Latin equivalent, followed by a representation in dots (.) and dashes (-):

А A .-
Б B -...
В W .--
Г G --.
Д D -..
Е E .
Ж V ...-
З Z --..
И I ..
Й J .---
К K -.-
Л L .-..
М M --
Н N -.
О O ---
П P .--.
Р R .-.
С S ...
Т T -
У U ..-
Ф F ..-.
Х H ....
Ц C -.-.
Ч Ö ---.
Ш CH ----
Щ Q --.-
Ь (Ъ) X -..-
Ы (Ь) Y -.--
Э É ..-..
Ю Ü ..--
Я Ä .-.-

And here is a OGG audio file of the alphabet in that order at 20wpm:
http://lcwo.net/misc/cyrillic.ogg

Hope that helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you're running into any trouble!

Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2010-09-18 20:11
Hi Fabian,

Thanks so much for this - and sorry for any inconvenience its caused. That's a much better representation, and the OGG file is fantastic!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you for the site...you're doing a great job, and I'm sure I speak for all members there!

Again, many thanks, and hope to see you on the bands soon!

Mark (GW0WGK)

Posted: 2010-09-19 19:45
Hi Fabian,

Sorry to trouble you again, but you mentioned earlier on in this thread that the Greek Morse alphabet is probably rarely used. Does this mean that SV stations, for example would just use the Latin alphabet? I did read in the Wikipedia article you posted that the Latin alphabet was used, bar one letter. Can I assume from this that the Greek Morse alphabet is the same or similar concept as the Cyrillic? I'm sorry to keep bothering you with this, however as I've come this far I'd like to try and get it worked out if possible. Also I appreciate this is not pertinent solely to the site, so apologies for clogging up the forum.
Its just that so far I've had very little success in obtaining the answers from Google, or anywhere else for that matter - largely due to available tables being difficult for me to interpret using a screen reader.

Mark (GW0WGK)
Administrator

Posted: 2010-09-19 20:14
Hi Mark,

here's a hopefully more readable version of the Greek alphabet. It is very similar to the Cyrillic alphabet, using similar characters as appropriate.

Α A .-
Β B -...
Γ G --.
Δ D -..
Ε E .
Ζ Z --..
Η H ....
Θ C -.-.
Ι I ..
Κ K -.-
Λ L .-..
Μ M --
Ν N -.
Ξ X -..-
Ο O ---
Π P .--.
Ρ R .-.
Σ S ...
Τ T -
Υ Y -.--
Φ F ..-.
Χ CH ----
Ψ Q --.-
Ω W .--

Diphthongs
HY V ...-
OI 8 ---..
AY Ü ..--
YI J .---
EI S ...
EY Ö ---.
OY U ..-
AI Ä .-.-

I just asked a Greek ham I know about the usage of the greek alphabet in real QSOs, waiting for his answer.

And don't worry about asking a lot of questions here; that's exactly that the forum is there for.

Fabian

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.