Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (17)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: going worse and worse

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2010-06-11 23:25
Hello, in 1980 i made the licence with a speed of 12Wpm. After a year with about 200 CW-QSO´s i lost the interest for CW and made no CW for over 20 years. Now i want to refresh my CW for 10GHz Rainscatter and Contests.
Starting 8 month ago with Morsecat and switched then to LCWO. Now i have a problem, at a speed of 26 Wpm my error rate is continuosly increasing in the last 5 weeks from less than 10% to now abt 25%.
What could be the reason??
vy 73 Frank, DJ5NQ
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-06-12 01:23
You exercise probably with fixed speed, and you have increased that speed too fast.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-06-12 03:17
Frank,

I agree with M0RON. The same thing happened to me. I started out with a game plan and was steady in making the upward trend line on my graph but then I was too impatient with my progress and started messing around and changed what was working for me.

I would suggest you take a look back at your records and see what was working for you and regress back to that point and start gaining momentum again and stick with it. By then seeing a little improvement you will gain confidence.

I can do poorly for long stretches even with daily practices and almost lose all hope but out of nowhere a big jump takes place.

Hang in there, nothing in life that you want badly enough comes easy.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-06-13 11:48
Frank,
when my error rate increase I decrease speed until I am slightly above my comfort zone (i.e. 5% error rate). I try to train for accuracy, not speed (since this is what I need in "real life" CW). Speed increases as a side effect.

I tend to train my most frequent mistakes in 5er groups (e.g. "custom characters" in lcwo with selecting B V S H 5). This is painfull but efficient.

I also set RufzXP to "trainer" mode and then in settings put speed fixed, again with a speed slightly above comfort speed. The advantage here is that I see mistakes right after making them and can better understand what's happening.

Gruß

Gerd.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-07-05 09:36
Hi, I also suffer with the mulit-dit characterrs like df9ts and am intersted to hear how he overcomes then with custom code groups (B V S H 5). Are there any other recommendations to mastering these letters fluently?
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-07-05 23:58
Allan (M3XPZ),

I have always had difficulty with s, h and 5.

This stems back to when I was a kid and ignored the problem and therefore did not take care of mastering them.

At higher speeds now, they are still a problem and I have to work on an sh5 daily drill for 3 mintues.

Use Convert text to CW and do the following. Make sure when you listen to this drill daily, you put it at a speed that is just a tad above your comfortable speed.

s s s s s s s s s s
h h h h h h h h h h
5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
sh5 sh5 sh5 sh5 sh5 sh5 sh5

You must be religious at doing this and commit yourself to overcome a weakness. Before the daily drill, repeat to yourself several times:
"I will master sh5". This sends a nice message to your subconcious.

GL es 73 from across the pond,

Craig, AH8DX

[deleted]

Posted: 2010-07-06 09:21
Craig, Thanks, I'll give this a go too.

Posted: 2010-07-07 14:30
Allan,

how about simply decreasing speed until the problem disappears, then work your way up again from there?
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-07-09 19:05
The problem with forums is always that the questioner gets more answers and at most ONE is the right one but he doesn.t know which one.

I recognise that here, the only ONLY right answer is produced by AH8DX.

Unless of course my answer is fault.

Posted: 2011-01-09 20:30
dj5nq

B V S H 5

It really helped me to integrate sending practice into my morse code regimen. Just doing listening practice was not enough for me.
e i s h 5 over and over again
5 h s i e same thing
e i e s e h e 5
5 e h e s e i e
a w j 1
1 j w a
a u v 4

You get the idea. Just make up your own practice groups for sending practice
and then do your listening practice.
Changing the speed of the morse code for each test helps alot also.
Practicing everyday,in reasonable stretches of time, and force yourself
to take a break, so you don't burn out, is also important.
I noticed that it of course was important to practice individual letters,
but that I would have problems once I started practicing all the letters
together. Practice, practice, practice and don't give yourself too much
grief when you have a bad day.
You are now faster than I have gotten, so I am jealous but it seems that
everyone has a plateau that they hit, at whatever speed they might be at.

When I first started with morse, I thought that I would be able to get to
the point that I could just listen to it like I would any other voice
conversation, but I am yet to get to that point. Hoping to build up
some kind of buffer that my sub-conscious will figure out the code.

Posted: 2011-01-28 12:58
Díy za všechny poznatky a příspěvky.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.