Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (40)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: frustrating transcription block

Back to the Forum

AuthorText
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-02-23 19:24
The trouble with transcription is that it takes one character at a time. I find I can;t either type or write random strings of letters fast enough. My fingers get knotted. I could cope with lesson 1 using 4-character groups at 8 wpm. Lesson 2 is being a struggle even with 2-character groups. It's not the morse character recognition getting in the way. It's my ability to get them down on the keyboard or on paper. Frustrating and depressing. I can understand why folks give up.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-02-23 19:47
Come on Rick

First you may NOT start with lesson 2 before you copy lesson 1 at 20/10.

Set the lesson on 20/10 and listen a few times without writing or typing anything.
Put your mouse on "link to MP3 file" just under the start button, the screen bottomline yields then the transmitted text. Read at the same time you listen (at 20/10)

Do this several times.
Then listen agn to an exercise and copy it in your head, whisper K and whisper M when you hear them.

Try then to write with a pen on a piece of paper what you hear.

When you think that after 20 exercises of lesson 1 you are copying nice K and M type over from your piece of paper in the window on the screen. When you have over 90% OK congrats proceed to lesson 2. NOT earlier.

You wrote that you even have problems with writing. In that case lower the effective speed BUT KEEP THE 20. That is important. You create by lowering te effective speed more time to decode.
However you MUST get that 20/4 to 20/10 before you proceed to the next lesson.
Dont multiply the time involved with te number of lessons, because the problems that you have right now are probably solved before you proceed to lesson 2.

Come back here complaining further, after that you did 20 exercises lesson 1 20/10.

There are here old timers, learning the code in 1950 or so, brushing up their proficiency. They learned it without anything else as a radio listening to stations and trying te recognise letters of stations sending at least 20 words per minute.
Don't feed their idea that those youngsters do have a weak character, because they are used to get instant satisfaction on their desires!

Be glad that it is difficult, you will be very proud when you make it.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-02-24 18:25
Thanks. I had my settings 26/8 having moved one up and the other down from the 20/12 I think it initially had set. I did exercise 1 56 times before moving to exercise 2, but I didn't realise I could listen to the same sequence more than once. That'll help. I thought it was regenerated every time.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-02-25 17:08
...though the trouble now is that I tend to listen to each one three or four times (or maybe more). I guess I shouldn't move on 'til I can pass the test at at least 20/10 with just one play?
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-02-25 17:29
That's right Rick. You was going to fast to lesson 2, now in lesson 1 you score 100%. Go on now trying without repeating the same text to make 90% the first time with a new text. You can try to reach 90% with 20/4. If so proceed first to 20/10 before going to lesson 2.

You are proceeding, so keep going. Next lessons will be easier, it is just the transient of the method you are fighting with.

You can make it yourself somewhat easier by fixed length 5 of the generated code, so that you know that there are exactly 5 characters and insert a space on the right place, otherwise the system checking for accuracy turns you down because it is losing sync when you miss a space. When you know you miss a character, don't type a space instead. Take anything else (k or m is best guess)
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-10 15:28
Sometimes it seems to go well. Other times it seems it's better to walk away and do something else because it just isn't coming together at all. Just now was one of the latter. Time for more coffee, or a siesta...
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-10 19:27
Yes
I recognise that, my exercises this morning were also just as yours I suppose: 50% score of the last month average. Reasons are unpredictable. One thing for sure: it happens only when you try to push your limits.

Remember the first day that you were desperate and compare with your present state.

The best way to proceed is to make a fixed schematic of max 15 minutes a day may be 30 minutes but split over in 2 periods of 15 minutes, and scratch it off with a pencil each day. It remembers you when other things are requiring attention. It helps to remember the task must be done also on bad days, and it surely rewards. Repetition of a daily small effort is essential

To realy measure performance write your copy down on paper and type it over to calculate your score, unless you are an experienced touch typer.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-10 19:59
Yeah. Today's been a struggle. I backed off to where I was having little trouble yesterday and still struggled today. Fifteen minutes is about my limit today, but I'm just about back to where I left off yesterday. Tomorrow I'll try again.

Posted: 2010-03-11 16:29
Hey! Kann hier jemand deutsch lesen? Ich verstehe Englisch nur passiv. Aktiv ist nur Deutsch. Ich habe einen schrecklichen Verdacht: in Lesson 2 stimmt etwas nicht, oder ich bin total krank. Die Lesson 1 habe ich ziemlich leicht geschafft. Aber in der Lesson 2 ist zum Beispiel die erste Reihe: kkkkk, das Programm sagt aber, das sollte kmmuk sein. Ist doch unmöglich!
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-11 18:07
Sie wissen es niemals mit Computern, ik habe es versucht, hier geht alles ganz normal.

Wenn sie unter der Startknopf die Link MP3 datei anklickt kommt unter dass Schirmbild die zu senden Buchstaben zu stehen en können Sie die Morse mit der Buchstaben vergleichen.

Posted: 2010-03-14 06:16
Ach danke, das wäre toll. Aber heute waren die Signale anders, gar keine kkkkk am Anfang! es ist wohl etwas im WM Player nicht in Ordnung.
Aber mir hat sehr geholfen, was Sie am 23.02.2010 an Rick geschrieben haben!

Posted: 2010-03-14 06:27
Lieber Digibeet, wenn es wirklich möglich wäre: Link MP3 - Datei anklicken und Buchstaben sehen, bei mir funktioniert es aber nicht, weil alles automatisch im Windows Nedia Player abgespielt wird!
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-14 12:30
It has nothing to do with the player, but with the Internet browser you are using. InternetExplorer I suppose.

When you are ready to push the play button of the lesson, click then in your case with the RIGHT mouse button on the link to MP3 file.

Than the text will show up, only a space is presented as %20 in that case.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-16 01:47
I guess this is sort of related to my earlier transcription block. I think I should be aiming to get to a point where I hear the letters, but what I in fact seem to do is hear a sequence and then translate it into a letter. As I try adding letters (and I'm talking really basic level here; lesson 2 to 3) that translate step takes longer. I managed to get lesson 1 sufficiently accurate at up to 26/13 for two minute (well, 26 group) runs, but with lesson 2 I don't seem to be able to keep up with 26/11 for more than a minute (or 11 groups) at best. (A brief experiment with lesson 3 indicates there's no point my leaving lesson 2 behind yet)

If I cut the letter speed then I start hearing individual dots and dashes rather than letter groups, which just adds another step to the translation process. Almost, I'm wondering whether I should increase the letter speed?

With the letter speed at 20 it seems my mind goes through a process like "dash dot dash? What's that? Ah. K." At 26 it's more like "dah-di-dah? Hmm... K." which is a bit quicker, but as the number of possible letters increase, that "Hmm..." often takes more than enough time for me to miss the next letter, and once I'm off track it's very difficult to get back on...

Not sure where I'm rambling to at present, but it's probably not a good idea to try exercises when I'm less than wide awake...
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-16 02:01
Rick,

It is logical that you can detect a character AFTER the last element. You think about what character it is, that is OK, after a certain time you know what you hear and you don't have to think about it anymore. I don't think that you have to bother about that. Set your speed at 20 not higher; and lower the effective speed to 4 or even lower when you are working on lesson 2. Then when you reach over 90 % correct increase the effective speed from 4 to 5. So go on increasing te effective speed till its 10, you finalize lesson 2 then 20/10 with 90% correct.

Posted: 2010-03-16 02:44
Hi Rick, I just wanted to let you know that I am in about the same place as you. I'm on lesson 2 and I am certainly thinking about each letter as they come down but like Digibeet said, we'll get quicker with practice. I was unable to copy lesson 2 at all without getting flustered at first. However, after slowing it down to 20/5 and running that for a bit I was able to move it up to 20/8 and now 20/10.. just working until I can get it up to 90+% on a 5 minute run before moving to lesson 3. My point is that I'm here with you! Keep up the practice and hopefully we'll be on the air before long!

Posted: 2010-03-16 13:45
Rick

I had the same problem you are not hearing the letters as a sounds you need to hear it as a sound rather than a dit and dah. When you hear it as a dit or dah and translate it as such you build a look up chart in your brain which slows you down you need to hear it as a sound that way dont have to think it just comes, once you get out of the habit of thinking dits and dah you will find you will do much better.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.