Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (38)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Suggestion: Change tone freq to increase copy speed

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2009-10-06 09:11
Just a quick note to pass along something I've learned. I have been trying to hear words (versus letters) and was not proceeding past a certain point. One day I was listening on the air (I like to listen to CW while I drive) and the rig was tuned off-frequency; normally I'd set the tone to somewhere around 800 Hz but this was somewhere around 600 Hz. I found that I copied better with the lower tone. I also tried this with a higher tone (around 1100 Hz) and I continued to do better.

So if you're stuck and can't get past a certain progress point; try changing your tone frequency.

Posted: 2009-10-06 17:15
Interesting. Any idea why that would be? I wouldn't expect that to make a difference. Then again, if it works, it works. I'll keep it in mind, thanks for mentioning it.

Posted: 2009-12-07 08:13
I believe it's because I started learning CW using the "Code Quick" method of "sound-alikes". So when I hear CW at certain frequencies which were used in the Code Quick course I'm repeating the sound-alikes in my head, whereas when I hear the CW at difference frequencies I'm processing them more outside that part of my brain..? This is all conjecture on my part; I have no scientific basis for any of this. It's just a guess.

Posted: 2011-10-02 02:01
I'm starting to learn morse and I have to agree with you David. I've noticed a shift in my "processing speed" when using certain tones. No idea why though.

Posted: 2011-10-02 19:07
Try 500 Hz, or take a glimpse at Jesse M. Washburns thesis available at http://dodreports.com/pdf/ada305566.pdf
"Improving the Morse Intercept Operators Audio Display"

In his thesis he tried to find out what's the best frequency and sound pressure level for receiving morse. He found out these to be at 500 Hz and 70 dB. He also tried to find out the best placement for the sound to receive. Unfortunately I have not had the time to read through the thesis, so I can't explain these claims in a short form.

Would be nice to do a 3d morse mapper, so that one could choose different sound placements to try out. Never the less, the idea is interesting...

Maier et al have done some research in "Reading with ears" http://www.biomedsearch.com/nih/Reading-with-ears/15196672.html about which parts of the brains are active when receiving morse. I'll cite their abstract:
We studied the cortical networks of Morse code reading with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). Four expert radio telegraphists performed two closely matched reading experiments, one in binaurally presented high speed Morse code and one in print. Performance was equal for both conditions. Reading single nouns in Morse code resulted in predominantly left-sided activation of the frontal and temporal perisylvian language areas, prefrontal cortex, and premotor cortex. In a within-subject comparison between reading Morse code and reading print, the activation pattern in the left temporoparietal association cortex was similar for both forms of reading, suggesting that reading Morse code shares part of its cortical networks with reading print.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.