Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (22)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Head copy vs. transcribing

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2009-07-14 13:45
During my Koch Lessons, I am able to head copy much faster than when I try to write it down or type into keyboard. The act of writing or pressing keyboard keys is a distraction that slows me down.

Should I continue with the faster head copy or get my speed up while transcribing the code?
Administrator

Posted: 2009-07-14 21:39
Hi Dan,

the problem I see with headcopy is that you can't grade what you heard for mistakes as easily as if you wrote it down. If you can get a reasonable idea of how accurate you are, however, it's certainly worth a try. It'll later make the transition from copying on paper to head copy in real QSOs much easier...

Another way would be increasing the space between the letters (i.e. high character speed, low effective speed) so you can actually practice instant recognition but the slow typing doesn't get in your way.

Try the alternatives and do what you think fits you best. In my opinion there is no fundamentally wrong method of learning CW; the only crucial thing is that you should enjoy it.

73 & gl, Fabian

Posted: 2009-07-31 21:41
I just started two days ago and was in the same situation until I tried to write in shorthand (Teeline: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeline_Shorthand ).

It's a little weird, but it feels like learning Morse code and shorthand at the same time is quite natural.

Administrator

Posted: 2009-07-31 22:36
That's very interesting. I have heard from others who learned CW and touch typing at the same time.

Now I am neither a touch typist nor can I do shorthand, but those are certainly very desirable abilities in connection with CW. At the international HST competitions, the winners in copying code groups (letters, figures, etc.) from eastern Europe (usually Belarus, Russia, Romania) are actually using their own shorthand systems to achieve their incredible speeds. Paper and pencil. And they beat everyone else using laptops :)

good luck and 73,
Fabian

Posted: 2009-08-01 19:59
ah, good...

I am not out to win any contest, mind you. The fact that I couldn't keep up at lesson 1 indicated that I had to find a solution right now :-)

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.