Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (35)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: CW reading and writing

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-07-28 08:51
Hello,
I started learning CW and have some questions:

1. Does it make sense to learn how to write by hand or should I do it afterwards? At the moment I only write with the keyboard.

2. Is it useful to learn a shorthand while learning the handwriting? Where can I find information on different shorthand symbols and which is recommended?

73, DB3MAR

Posted: 2017-07-28 18:04
1. My personal advice is to copy in long hand writing, small characters with an easy gliding pen.
Advantage: No typewriting equipment necessary, which in case of emergency will not be available.

At least up to 17 wpm handwriting is sufficient even for slow writers.

Writing has the advantage above head copy:
when you miss some characters and headcopy fails, the jotted down text is in general sufficient to fill in the missed characters. In case of repeats, you can add information of two or more copies in error to a solid copy.

In case of proficiency tests, at ham fests or whatever, you have to write anyway.

15 wpm up to 25 wpm is sufficient for all regular contacts, so don't bother about shorthand.

2. Most HST (high speed telegraphy) use their own designed shorthand. In a championship they are allowed some time to translate their shorthand to readable text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2XzxQT2CTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80oHE0J744c

Posted: 2017-07-28 19:57
At first you will want to write everything down but try to read it in your mind as you write it down. I know people who have to read what they have written before they can reply to you!

When you become more proficient just write down name, signal report etc this makes it a lot less tiring, Good Luck Rich G4FAD..

Posted: 2017-07-29 22:22
If you are just starting off learning, then you may want to consider :-

William G. Pierpont N0HFF
"The Art & Skill of Radio-Telegraphy"
Chapter 7 - Listening or "Reading"

Then again, you may not.

brushup is often a proponent . .

enjoy, which ever you choose

cb

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.