Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Using "Spritz" speed-reading technique for Morse learning

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-07-16 19:54
Hi everyone, I have a suggestion for another Morse learning technique, that combines Morse code with the "Spritz" fast-reading technique.

For those who don't know it, Spritz displays one word at a time, optimally adjusted and with an optical "anchor" so that the eye does not get tired. I suggest you check out the demo under http://spritzinc.com

The idea is, that while each word is displayed, the (morse-)sound of that word is played. WpM rate of course has to be much lower than 300 WpM. Learning Morse should then happen by "assimilation".

I have already coded a proof of concept in Javascript. (At the moment I am using a Morse audio library for which the license is unclear. But I have asked the author and once the license is clear, I can publish it).

Posted: 2017-07-16 20:37

Sounds interesting . . . if it will work on android anyway.

I'm OK at 600 wpm on the demo - so quite impressed.

Posted: 2017-07-17 16:31
No, doesn't sound interesting at all.

Presenting a word in Morse code with emphasis on a character in the middle by however what method will fail.

I am not going to explain why. And above that not asking to believe me.

The presenter of this idea, registered on this website in April 2013 and after more than 4 years advanced to lessen 2, should be better off with progress by exercising on this website.

The way to success is paved with hard working not with unproven imaginary gimmicks.

Posted: 2017-07-18 00:14

Actually, it's not about the char in the middle - the idea is that you read the whole word at once.

Running at 600wpm I'm hearing the whole word rather than reading it . . .

You are right about hard work,
and
probably this won't be much of advantage to most people -
else
the US or Soviet military would have been on to it
but
everything new is unproven at first
imaginary might be imagination in the end
and
we'll see if it's proven to be no use.

You won't have to trouble yourself at all . . . .

Posted: 2017-07-19 00:02
The highlighted character is just a visual aid to keep the eye focused on one point. (This is probably not so important for the CW-typical speeds of 300 WpM).

I would't say its a stand-alone learning method, but I find the CW-Spritz combination helpful to move from single character recognition to whole word or sentence recognition.

Already after few exercise rounds I started to recognise the sound of common words (like "the", "and", "have", "you"), even though I haven't learned some of the characters that occur in the words.

Posted: 2017-07-19 00:09
For the people who want to try this out on their own (despite the fact that the brave anonymous user has pointed out that it is absolutely impossible to learn anything with it :P)

https://stefand986.github.io/CWSpritz/

Posted: 2017-07-19 10:20
The ID presented on this website has nothing to do with "brave", May be somebody that dislikes big brother.

The proven way to learn high speed Morse code in words and sentences is described in a way completely alike I have experienced it to my present moderate level of proficiency, and is described in the free obtainable book that you may find on
http://morse-rss-news.sourceforge.net/artskill.pdf
ac9eq:

The highlighted character is just a visual aid to keep the eye focused on one point. (This is probably not so important for the CW-typical speeds of 300 WpM).

I think nobody can copy prolonged plain text 300 wpm in Morse code, a small group enjoys 60 up to sometimes bursts of 100 wpm, and is often QRM-ed by hams that do not recognize it as Morse code or for some other reason.

Front-part and tail of words are most important the middle part the least.

Posted: 2017-07-19 13:24
Oh that was a typo, the "

Posted: 2017-07-19 13:26
Ah, now I see, the forum Software is swallowing the "less than" signs. So what I meant is "Much less than 300 WpM"

Posted: 2017-07-19 16:03
ac9eq:

Already after few exercise rounds I started to recognise the sound of common words (like "the", "and", "have", "you"), even though I haven't learned some of the characters that occur in the words.

Well Bonobo's still beat you for the coming time,

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/speaking-bonobo-134931541/

But CW abbreviations equal about that number, so join the group.

Posted: 2017-07-20 12:46
It's great that folks try to learn to read Morse by some easier way but Morse is something that must be heard and I don't think reading the word at the same time helps. It would be rather like teaching kids about colour by putting on a blindfold then getting them to smell an orange and say that smell is orange or Grass and say that smell is green.It just doesn't work at all, Cheers Rich G4FAD..

Posted: 2017-07-23 20:19
g4fad:

It's great that folks try to learn to read Morse by some easier way but Morse is something that must be heard and I don't think reading the word at the same time helps.

. . . SNIP . . . .

Cheers Rich G4FAD..

Well, course you are perfectly correct - its just doing a test with the answer in front of you . .

No use at all ( I tried it ( in a hope-full manner ) ages ago and soon gave up ).

What's needed is for the text to appear just after the morse . . .

The point of "Spritz" is that it makes reading text ( just after concentrating on listening to the morse ) easier than looking at a piece of paper and having to covering up the text until the morse has finished.

Might be a help learning the letters one at a time, but not much need for high speed simultaneous word reading there . . .

Anyway, not for everyone I expect . . .

chris

ps

Rich, I just watched a you-tube about your high efficiency wood boiler which had a short burst of musical morse playing along . . .

Does it have a title - I'd like to hear the whole track ( unless its your own composition in which case its probably best kept for your next vid . . )

Posted: 2017-07-25 19:41
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch paepr at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Posted: 2017-07-25 23:09

Good old Cambridge - double Dutch lives on . . .

. . . mind you - who drained the fens in the first place ??

Posted: 2017-08-08 07:21
Chris and Rich: I wonder how you learned to spell as a child? Did your teacher say "c-a-t" now guess what that word is? Or did (s)he say "cat c-a-t"?

When you read a book, do you read the Preface or Chapter into last? Or do you read it first to have a clue or memory link as to whats to come?

I think the author has it right IMHO.

Posted: 2017-08-13 14:38
Hi CB Chris,

I am pleased you enjoyed the video on my QRZ page.
The track is "Calling all stations" by "Kwook"on the Skywave album blue oasis CD 003 2008. It always reminds me of my early days on 20 M CW somehow, I always get a lump in the throat every time I hear it, hi. I hope you can get a copy,

Vy 73 Rich G4FAD..

https://dataobscura.bandcamp.com/album/skywave

Posted: 2017-08-25 00:46

Hi Rich

thanks for the link. I've been listening . .

Great track.

chris

Posted: 2017-08-25 01:01
wa2nfn:
Chris and Rich: I wonder how you learned to spell as a child? Did your teacher say "c-a-t" now guess what that word is? Or did (s)he say "cat c-a-t"?

When you read a book, do you read the Preface or Chapter into last? Or do you read it first to have a clue or memory link as to whats to come?

I think the author has it right IMHO.

I never quite learned to spell, but when I was learning "the" ( aged about 5 ) I was asked to attempt a pronunciation of the letters, which came out as tu-hu-eh.
When I found that it spelt "the" I thought it was a big joke, until I found that I could learn things, at which point I went from last in the class to near the top in reading in a few weeks ( ok, the class was only learning "this is Janet, this is John" )

I think you need a slight gap between the morse word and the answer so you can try decoding in your head,
but if Bill wants it the other way round then more power to his elbow.

I've tried it that way round some years ago, with a list of words and an morse recording,
but I found that though given the word I could follow the morse easily, it didn't help me at all when trying it without

- so I would go for morse - delay - word if I was doing it now . .

YMMV

chris

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.