Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (39)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Reverse Koch

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-06-29 19:39
I've been trying something which has turned out to be quite refreshing and effective. If you use the Code Groups function it's possible to run the Koch series in reverse. By starting at the end of the series and adding a letter when you get to 90% accuracy mark you can run the series backwards (or, actually, in any order you wish).

I found this helpful for removing variation in recognition latency for the letters later in the series. Although I finished the 40 characters forward at 20/5 as I tried to speed up I noticed that when I analyzed my weak letters they were at the end of the series. I realize that there is probably an algorithm for over-representing newer letters as you move along the series, however, it was very clear to me that I had successfully over-learned the first 20 or so, and then the recognition declined. Theoretically, the "don't proceed until you get 90%" rule should eventually correct this, it may not be the most efficient way to do achieve the goal since you are then simply spending much of you time overlearning the already overlearned letters (I am so done with K and M!) :)

If I've learned anything about this process it's that there is no one right way for everyone, and even the evidence-based Koch method has its limitations. This modification, however, has really helped me re-engage to move through higher speeds by allowing an alternate, complementary overlearning strategy to conquer latency.

Posted: 2017-06-30 13:13
Excellwnt idea Ed,

It prevents the under exposure of later characters in the series.

Only the middle section,the characters presented around lesson 20 keep being under exposed in your proposal.

However, when you try to learn and use the characters in groups of 5 or six and mix them afterwards, you are back in the ancient methods of learning, that was very very efficient.

Posted: 2017-06-30 17:05
You can focus on any section of the Koch sequence you wish, including the middle third or whatever you want, including characters which are not contiguous in the sequence. I was just using the final section as an example. You can define custom characters in the "Change CW Settings" section. The main point I was trying to make is that rigidly adhering to the forward Koch sequence is not the only way to use the "add a letter after 90%" strategy. The custom characters option gives you all the same feedback, and it's a refreshing approach when you're getting tired or discouraged about your progress with the later characters.

Posted: 2017-06-30 17:46
I'm curious about the code groups people have learned cw by. BrushupCW mentioned e,i,s,h,5 and the second group I think was t,m,o and ch. Test user says it was very very efficient, so maybe it would be a helpful way to practice too. Please post the rest of the groups of characters people have learned by. Thank you very much.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.