[LCWO LOGO] Click to switch to a secure connection (https).  

Login

User name:
Password:

Language
Български Português brasileiro
Bosanski Català
繁體中文 Česky
Dansk Deutsch
English Español
Suomi Français
Ελληνικά Hrvatski
Magyar Italiano
日本語 Bahasa Melayu
Nederlands Norsk
Polski Português
Română Русский
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文

Who is online?

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Do you correct typing errors?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-04-10 13:50
I recognice most letters of my current lection but often mistype them (or need too much time finding them on the keyboard), resulting in beeing too slow to keep pace with my current settings (20/10). Especially when I backspace to correct I need to restart the lection(which is especially anoying as there is no "restart" or "back"-button, and one has to do it manually in the html-player.
How do you handle this? Are you simply not mistyping, or just much faster on the keyboard than me? Or do you just leave the mistakes in?
Thx.

Posted: 2017-04-12 10:41
I usually write the groups down on paper and type afterwards for the check. While listening I don't correct wrong characters since the correction takes to much time. If I try to correct, I miss the beginning of the next group and for me its hard to get back "synced" when I missed some characters.

Posted: 2017-04-14 06:04
No, case in point..If you were on the air and you miss a letter would it make a different. My cal_ sign _s kn4bta. you know that the first letter you missed was (L) and the second one is (I) if you stop to think about the two letters you missed then you would probably be asking me what my call sign was. When you get to the word training this will all make sense to you. The object is accuracy, but it is also about speed. during a qso if you stop to think about what that letter was you are now far far behind. That is the beauty of this program; you can learn what you need to spend more time on by observing what gives you the most trouble.

Posted: 2017-04-14 06:16
ps: If during a session you get lost..let it play through, wait for the line to go away under play/ pause and then hit play again. The program will send the same session as before again. You can do this several times. Repetition helps me learn..I hope this will help you. If you hit check results the next session will be totally different, so you don't have to grade everyone you do.

Posted: 2017-04-19 01:58
I am struggling with the typing issue as well and am going to move to paper.

I seem to be doing ok, better than I expected, but I have to chuckle a bit when wondering how this is going to play out when keying myself!

Posted: 2017-04-21 04:43
A lot better than you think. There are a lot more slow pokes like me than speed keyers, and all had to start slow and ask for repeats...lol. It can get frustrating at times, but the first time it feels like talking it is worth it all. I don't type anything while I am on the air, so there's a plus for you. 8 dits........means I messed up, and then you send what you ment to send. We all use it on the air, me more than most lol.

Posted: 2017-04-21 12:15
Right, 8 dits one dit spaced is the error sign as far as I 'always' knew , I usually use a [IMI] (question mark) or two very wide spaced characters i.

But Gerd DF9TS handed the reference http://radionerds.com/images/9/90/TM_11-459.pdf

mni tks Gerd.

That mentions in 3-6 that the error sign is 8 characters E, hence 3 dits spacing instead of one.

The manual also talks about remediCal lessons in order to resolve problems with distinguishing B and D, B and 6 and so in 3-7 , 4-2)

Furthermore at adjusting bugs, they write on page 14 "(1) Make certain that both dit contacts
and dah contacts are [...] aligned.

You can make that sure but when they are not there is no adjustment possible as far as I know, perhaps with a hammer?

On page 15 army says: " c. No further adjustment should be required"

Amazing they didn't adjust the dah contact spacing.

So do not trust (at least I do not) the US army manual, and hence the error message will be 8 dits spaced 1 dit and not spaced 3 dits..

You can correct your WRITING errors the way they suggest, when you repeat the transmission.

Posted: 2017-04-21 22:08
For correcting mistakes the trick is to write / type delayed - listen to a few characters and only then start writing / typing. This gives you time to do the correction while listening for the next characters.

And your true speed at which you should practice may be slower than what you think.

As to the 8 "e" for error vs. 8 dots - bear in mind the manual was written for straight key users. With a straight key of those days it is easier to give 8 "e"s, with todays paddles it is simpler to give 8 dots. So don't be too hard on the army.

Gerd.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $