[LCWO LOGO] Click to switch to a secure connection (https).  

Login

User name:
Password:

Language
Български Português brasileiro
Bosanski Català
繁體中文 Česky
Dansk Deutsch
English Español
Suomi Français
Ελληνικά Hrvatski
Magyar Italiano
日本語 Bahasa Melayu
Nederlands Norsk
Polski Português
Română Русский
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文

Who is online?

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Progress

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2017-03-11 22:48
Finally i see some progress in learning cw.
Was i at first struggeling with the fact that i lost track after 3 sign, now i can follow up to 8 or 9 signs before losing track :)
So, i see that as a progress.
Still learning though, and it is fun when it goes better and better after a while.
How are you all doing? Is there also progress in learning cw, or is it still a big struggle?
[deleted]

Posted: 2017-03-12 01:06
Codegroups is for me an exercise in typing, not in Morse code. Is has no practical value. My typing is so bad that I not even try it as Morse exercise.

You did it with 9 to 14 wpm

Text exercises in plain text are more practical; you do those avg at 8,7 wpm with 88 % reliability.
I wonder how come that that is lower then code groups. May be by the fact you try to guess what is coming next, and in case of error missing a bunch of code.

Best thing is to use those text exercises to learn copy by head, listen and write the whole sentence after finishing the last punctuation.

Amazing that your speed at words 42 wpm and call signs 32wpm are so much higher compared with text.

Posted: 2017-03-12 17:02
I have done code groups, but it has been a while since i've done that.
Yes, my word and callsign training is much better than other things.
I think i have to practice more with tekst than with words or callsigns.

Posted: 2017-03-20 21:09
As a rank beginner, I'm looking for encouragement. After two weeks, I'm ok with m,k,u. Trying to add "r" is a bit of a struggle. Is this how it goes for everyone? I'm using the default speed. Should I slow it down? Is typing the letters the way to go, or should I be hand-writing them? I'm clear that the trick is to "hear" the code as another language, not just to learn the dits & dahs.

Posted: 2017-03-21 09:11
[quote=tguy]As a rank beginner, I'm looking for encouragement. After two weeks [SNIP]& dahs. [/quote]

For how much time a day are you practicing ???
[deleted]

Posted: 2017-03-22 22:47
tguy:
As a rank beginner, I'm looking for encouragement. After two weeks, I'm ok with m,k,u. Trying to add "r" is a bit of a struggle. Is this how it goes for everyone? I'm using the default speed. Should I slow it down? Is typing the letters the way to go, or should I be hand-writing them? I'm clear that the trick is to "hear" the code as another language, not just to learn the dits & dahs.

1. Never listen to advice from people that failed to meet their own plans. They tell you how they would do it but they failed. (Could be a Trump citation, but it is not)

2. Look at user groups on this website like: "Old hams new to CW" to obtain the after the K and M needed fans to acquire your third character and the desired encouragement. 55

Contact Maddasher on this website, he is 87 yr old (and the age champion so far, not you as you claimed) and like you on the same lesson 3 level.

Two boys on the kitchen table, the ideal situation like history proved.

I am 80 yrs old, not been a professional telegraphist, just ham for 62 years, but I think I know where I am talking about.

3. Think about the fact that you learn a code and need a keyboard and typing to decode it. Think about circumstances that you are sentenced in jail, present in a sunk nuclear submarine, or in your case more probable: are not able to speak due to a severe stroke, but you are still able to communicate with Morse coded winking your eyes. No keyboard available? No decoding, No coffee or clean diapers on your winking.

So you have to learn the code by jotting it down on a piece of paper, to start with. NOT ON A KEYBOARD.
Advantage: When you miss characters due to QRM, QSB or whatever, just like a cross word puzzle you can figure out what the missing characters were from the received plain text.

How to do that on this website:
1.Jot down characters in the 5 groups that learn you to recognize very important word spaces.
2. One out of 10 exercises copy your jotted down text by typing over in the entry-window in order to obtain a decision about progress and errors made.

When you are going over 15 wpm you can start exercising with decoding in your head, than you just listen to decode without jotting down as an intermediate step.

You even can start this earlier after about lesson 9 with word exercises on this website.

Furthermore:
In order to prevent quiting due to frustration do the whole course 20/4. After completion of the course you are able to make QSO, rag chew with companions or willingfull CW operators to help you like helping an old woman crossing the street.

After completing start immediately with 20/10 lesson 1 through 40.
After completion start again with 15/15

15/15 is real usable Morse code, all the wide spaced text is an aid to learn it. It is extremely annoying to listen to it.
To give an idea: imagine reading a book, a newspaper or whatever with 5 blank spaces beween each character.

After completion you are a new CW amateur proficient and able to make 100% of the desired connections without the idea that the other amateur is aiding you.

Posted: 2017-03-27 04:00
nobody writes down code on the air, if you miss a letter your mind automatically fill in the blanks. that is why there are so many abbriviated words. Example U for You, FB for Fine Buisness, etc. And hen there is the Q codes. Qsl for I understand all. If a letter is missing or missed my mind just fills it in.

Posted: 2017-03-28 11:49
Bob,

When CW was compulsary for a ham license, you had to write received text down during the examination for 5 minutes 12 wpm plain text and figures. A few errors were permitted.

First learning stage when you receive plain text is that you guess what is coming, and when different from what you expect you miss a bunch of characters.

So the effective method to prevent that was not guessing by NOT realizing what word part was already build up, just by covering the already written text and receiving character by character.

The second stage was writing down QSO text on the bands on paper and possibly going over to rag chewing with other hams. After a while not missing a bunch of characters when guessing what was coming. I am NOT talking abt standard abbreviations like om tks rst Q code wx tx cuagn 73 and the like.
When you are not able to receive plain text you are not proficient at that speed.

After that in third stage, I was at that time proficient between 20 and 25 wpm, I started exercising head copy by listening to plain text from a tape recorder in daily commuting by car, I learned copy in my head. So that is the last stage.

When somebody, copying by head, had another experience on the learning path, pse show it.

Copy codegroups on a typewriter is quite another job, as you may find in the CW forum on eham.net where retired military intercept operators are represented, and on youtube is somewhere a picture of an intercept opr on a hamfest talking with visiting people while copying on a mill, but not knowing what he typed out.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $