Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (28)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Equipment

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2016-12-26 16:16
Hello to all,
I am going to learn Morse code. I know a few letters but if you tapped them out I would give you the deer in the headlights look. What equipment do I need to practice morse code? I know I need a straight telegraph key, paddles for later on, and electronic keyer, maybe a side tone generator and headphones. What actually sends and receives the code or tones?

Posted: 2016-12-29 16:13
Reading morse code :- you need this website :-)
You may also be helped along if you also make up some morse mp3 files and listen on your phone (see site menu).
Learning to read morse is achieved by lots of repetition at the right speed for your current standard.
You may find tweaking the audio frequency to suit your hearing helps a little, too.
My advice is to avoid typing unless you can already type - else you are trying to learn 2 things at once. Avoid linking code-to-keyboard else you will slow down learning to read-as-you-hear . . .

Transmitting/generating morse code :- You can walk along reading shop signs and car license plates etc and dit-dahing (quietly) to yourself.
If you want to try keying at this stage then choose your poison . . . cheap straight key and ebay oscillator or paddles and pico-keyer etc etc

Good luck - stick with it,
take your time - don't worry about the few people who got to 25wpm in a fortnight,
forget testing your speed all the time,
forget speeding up until you are managing at a slow speed,
use 15 wpm character speed with long word spacing eg 2-5 wpm to start with - you avoid dot counting issues,
make sure your audio frequency is right for your ears,
never give up - it might take a bit longer than you were hoping for,
and
happy new year.

cb

Posted: 2016-12-29 19:33
Once you know the signs, you could also listen by websdr to morsecode signals on the different frequencies.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.