Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (40)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Wish List

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2009-04-07 02:39
When I change my code group settings from "letters" to "custom characters" the next time I log-in the system doesn't remember this new setting, but yet remembers other settings. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.
Administrator

Posted: 2009-04-07 20:33
Hi Philip,

the setting is now permanently saved. There was already a field in the database for this purpose, and the value was set in the database after changing it, but I must have forgotten to load it properly when the user logs in.

Thanks for pointing this out. Let me know if you encounter any problems.

73, Fabian

Posted: 2009-04-11 03:02
Fabian:

I love this web site, thank you so much for it. I wish it had the following:

? (Question Mark)
SK (prosign)

I am studying for the Third Class Radiotelegraph Operator license, for which the FCC requires 1 minute of error-free code including those prosigns and the question mark. From their website:

... Examinees must copy by ear and, if subject to a sending test, send by hand plain text and code groups in the international Morse code using all the letters of the alphabet, numerals 0-9, period, comma, question mark, slant mark, and prosigns AR, BT, and SK. Examinees must copy and send at the required speeds for one continuous minute without making any errors ...

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=t3
Administrator

Posted: 2009-04-15 10:58
Hi Michael,

the question mark is already available, in the Code Groups training, with a custom character set. The custom characters can be set in the "CW settings" of your account.

The prosigns BT and AR are also available as "=" and "+", but SK is currently not implemented. I wonder whether SK in the exam can occur at any position or it's only sent at the very end of the transmission? If I was going to implement it here in LCWO, it'd also be neccessary to find a character to represent/type SK (so it is unambigiously detected as prosign SK and not as letters s and k; BT is =, AR is +, maybe * could be used for that?).

73, Fabian

Posted: 2009-04-16 06:25
Do you have anything in that magic book of yours to teach us to send code as well?

Posted: 2009-04-17 00:12
Thank you Fabian for your reply about the SK prosign.

"*", the asterisk, would work well to represent the SK prosign. (In a code trainer I use on the iPhone they have chosen "$", the dollar symbol, which might work as an alternative.)

The FCC radiotelegraph operator code test is implemented in two parts, one of which consists of random 5-character groups at 16 wpm, in which SK can appear at any point.

Again, you have created a great web site, and many thanks for the consideration of including an SK prosign.

Ki6H Michael

PS, my error about the question mark. I saw it the next time I logged on, oops.

Posted: 2009-05-04 23:09
While using the "Callsign Training" practice feature, it would be nice if the callsigns would just continue being sent without having to hit the "OK" button again. Or, perhaps I'm not doing something correctly here (?).

All-in-all, I want to thank you, Fabian, for a GREAT online learning tool!!
Administrator

Posted: 2009-05-06 18:38
Well, the idea of the callsign trainer is that you have as much time as you want to type the callsign; the next callsign doesn't start before you hit "Enter" or click the "OK" button.

Especially at higher CW speeds, typing would lag too much behind to send all callsigns in a row..

73, Fabian

Posted: 2009-05-18 01:28
Using keyboard is great! However, I need to learn to copy in my head - not characters, but whole words. This would be faster than pen & paper or keyboard. I find that people that even use the straight key can go a lot faster when they can copy in their head. I guess the answer to this is practice, practice, practice. Any other suggestions?

KBØETU - Phill
Administrator

Posted: 2009-05-22 23:18
Hi Phil,

one thing I am currently thinking about is a practice mode similar to the Word Training feature, but not with real words, but simple groups of characters (2 to 5) from any lesson of the Koch method. In the later lessons, where the user knows quite a number of useful characters already, this could be expanded to actual words which only contain characters up to that lesson...

73, Fabian

Posted: 2009-05-23 21:13
Hello Fabian.

First off; congratulations on your 1st year, and thanks for creating a great site. It's really well done.

My suggestion would be; would you please offer an option for setting "Farnsworth" speed settings in Word Training and Callsign Training, just as you do with the Koch trainer, Plain Text, Code Groups, etc? I'm trying to maintain a 18+ character speed, and increase my effective speed as time goes on. I like how the Word Trainer increases/decreases speed as I copy correctly or not; it would be great if the automatic speed adjustment applied only to the effective speed.

Best 73...

Posted: 2009-06-02 08:55
I agree with BooDog; having an option to maintain character speed while allowing effective speed to vary according to correct/incorrect answers would be helpful. Koch Method says the character speed should never drop below 15 wpm.

Fabian; FYI I wrote a blog article on CW and linked back to LCWO. Keep up the good work.

http://sparqi.blogspot.com/2009/05/blog-post.html
Administrator

Posted: 2009-06-02 23:16
That sounds reasonable and I'll add more speed options for the word- and callsign-training soon.

Nice blog article, David. "Well designed"? - I'm going to blush. Guess/hope that aims at the usability, not the colors (which were, I admit it, chosen completely randomly :-).

Have fun on LCWO!

Fabian

Posted: 2009-06-08 12:16
Fabian,

how about priorisation of certain characters in customized cw settings (so that "difficult" characters appear more frequently in code groups).

Anything easy to implement would help, e.g. give an (optional) weight to characters (numbers 0..9 or tick box per character).

Not essential but would be nice to have.

Regards,

Gerd, DF9TS

BTW: LCWO training was a brilliant preperation for the CW field day. No troubles copying and even got the really fast stations ;-) big thanks!
Administrator

Posted: 2009-06-11 12:37
Character weighting is already -- somewhere -- on my TODO list, I think we discussed it before. There will probably be some kind of menu for advanced CW settings in the future where this can be set, along with more detailed options of setting individual default speeds for the different training modes...

Nice to hear about the fieldday. I was QRV as SP/DJ1YFK/P from Sulejowek, near Warsaw, and calling people with such a callsign really shows who has done his CW training and who hasn't :-)

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2009-06-11 15:56
Fabian,

of course we have you in the log ;-) , vy strong sig here, also heard by others.

Fieldday was good fun after solid training tnx to LCWO.

Could need some hints & strategy on FD operating. Maybe will ask DK0MN ops?

As for weighting: no hurry, just wanted to mention again.

Regards,

Gerd DF9TS

Posted: 2018-03-20 14:08
In CW settings you can change the presented speed.

Above that for different exercises, like text, callsign, QTC, words, it is possible to adjust the speed separately.

However not for code groups. figures is easier, letters somewhat more difficult and mixed again more difficult, custom characters - a selection of your problem characters - is the most difficult.
It is not possible to change speed for them without going back to CW adjustments.

Idea to make them adjustable for 4 code exersise items?

Posted: 2018-03-20 19:24
Sh*t,

I probably fail to reach my goal in Morse code.

Perhaps I better improve my math. and Society will appreciate it when I try that instead of improving copy of Morse code?

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.