Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (32)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: scores on the leader

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2014-11-10 18:00
Some days are not visible rankings. Why?

Posted: 2014-11-10 18:22
"Disabled due to load issues."
Administrator

Posted: 2014-11-10 19:46
Sorry, I am having trouble with the load by the score calculation. There are some 2.5 million database lines to calculate the score from and it seems like I didn't implement it very efficiently.

I have been pushing this ahead of me for a while but I should do something about it now. In the meantime I completely disabled the highscores because it was easy to bring the whole server down for a minute or two by just refreshing the highscore page a few times.

I wish I had more time to take care of lcwo.net, but I barely just get to fix the things that are really urgent lately.

Fabian, DJ1YFK

Posted: 2014-11-11 15:49
Tnx Fabian for all

Posted: 2014-11-11 21:17
@Fabian:
Do you need some help?

Vinz

Posted: 2014-11-11 23:42
try redis

Administrator

Posted: 2014-11-12 06:28
I am almost done with optimizing my terrible old SQL queries; expect to bring back the scores very soon, depending on other work load.

Vinz: Yes, as you may have noticed, I didn't really invest a lot of time into LCWO lately and often ignored what happened in the forums... For more than a year already I am determined to spend a weekend on having a good look through the code, and then open source it. As soon as this has happened, I have some hopes that it will be possible to find a few people who are interested and willing to contribute to this project (unless they are scared away by the terrible PHP code which LCWO is built on! :).

Fabian
Administrator

Posted: 2014-11-12 20:18
Highscores are back online. I discovered some really terrible old code of mine, which did a lot of processing in PHP which could have been done right in the SQL query already.

Not surprisingly, this speeds up the generation of the highscores page by more than the factor of ten on a fresh reload, and even more if some or all of the results have been cached in the database server.

Fabian
Administrator

Posted: 2014-11-12 21:11
Another update: The Koch highscores were still taking too much CPU power to calculate in total, even with much better SQL queries; after all we are talking about a table with 1.7M rows for the Koch course alone.

Since, unlike the other training modes, the Koch course is nothing like a "all time best" list anyway, I modified the query to include only the last 30 days. This makes the query times acceptable and the whole highscores page now loads in less than 5 seconds on a completely fresh cache. Still not amazing, but "good enough" for now.

Fabian

Posted: 2014-11-17 21:11
Hello Fabian,
I'll contact you via pm.
Vinz

Posted: 2014-11-17 22:07
hmm, I thought that I did 35 lessons in less then 3 months, only as far as I remember, proceeding on 100% score to next lesson, and I find myself back as 5 somewhere in the tail of the new list, NOT stimulating. Sure not.

Yes 5 and H, the Badger syndrome is also my problem.

Posted: 2014-11-19 17:19
The Koch lessons don't lend themselves to scoring anyway; you do them at your pace and move on when you're ready. Some indication of the average rate at which folk move through might be helpful, but that would only need to be updated once a month, or maybe even less often.

Other statistics might also be worth doing as "last 30 days" or "last 100 attempts" rather than "all time", if it makes for less load on the system.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.