Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (23)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Starting at high WPM

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2014-11-01 11:40
Hi,

I'm starting again to learn morse. This time I have enough time and motivation to make it through successfully (learning offline most of the time due to vy slow internet connection here).

I found it most easy to use the following settings (currently at level 6):
- fast letters (currently 32 WPM, 160CPM)
- long pauses (12 WPM effectively, 60 CPM).

Is it okay to do it like that or will I hit some barrier in the future?

I have no problem to copy the individual letters even at higher speeds: 40WPM is also fine, but my soundcard is making problems here ;-) ).
However, reducing the speed makes me confused, because I need some time between the letters to identify it unambiguously.

Any advice?

73 Nick, DL6ER

Posted: 2014-11-01 11:43
I wanted to say that reducing the pauses makes me confused...

Posted: 2014-11-01 12:37
Nick,

few OMs on the band will use 32/12. If you need time to recognize the letters (= long pauses) this won't be cured be faster character speed.

While you may like the idea of 32 wpm char speed - think about shortening pauses.

Gruss

Gerd.

Posted: 2014-11-01 14:11
The problem with short pauses is that I am 'thinking' too much. Its not like my brain knows immediately what chracter this is, but it needs some fractions of a second where I cannot listen to other characters.

With long pauses I can rather quickly learn additional new characters (> 90% accuracy within one day seems to be no problem).
With decreased pauses I'm lossing track after a few seconds.

What makes more sense?
-> Go back to few characters and try again from the beginning with short pauses, or
-> Learn all characters at the set speed and try to shorten the pauses after having learned all of them.

Is the recognition getting "faster" with practice? Then I would go for the second option.

73 Nick

Posted: 2014-11-01 14:18
Nick,

in my case: recognition getting faster only when training for short pauses.

Increasing char speed with longer pauses trains / prepares for higher speeds, not for recognition.

I think standard character & word spaces are something you should consider. If you can hear 15 wpm (as indicates your spacing) then give 15/15 a try and crank it up to 16/16 etc.

This is what I do. And do not underestimate training on lower char speeds: most everyday traffic happens on lower speeds..

Gerd.

Posted: 2014-11-01 23:36
Sometimes I wish there were three settings, not two. Then you could set the speed of the characters, the length of the gaps between characters, and the lengths of the gaps between words.

That way you could choose fast characters slightly spaced out, but with gaps between words long enough to type or write the word...

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.