Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Letter L

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2014-06-14 05:46
I just got to lesson 10 which is letter L
It has messed me up so bad. I just do not understand. Has this happened to you. What did you do about this. Until now things have been going so well this time. The R and L sound so close.
How one hears all of this is so important. You have to almost learn to hear all over again.
I am worried.

Posted: 2014-06-14 12:09
The letter L is contained in "DeviL" and is therefore a diaboLic, iLL and eviL letter. Unfortunately, there is nothing much you can do about this. :-)

If you are at the point where you realize that learning to hear is important (as opposed to counting dits and dahs), it seems to me that you're on the right track and shouldn't worry too much. Just keep on practicing, and you will be fine.

Posted: 2014-06-14 20:58
I have completed all 40 lessons. Now when I practice my biggest problems are distinguishing between V and 4, H and 5, and B and 6. Those dits really fly by! My speed is 15/15. Oh well, more practice I guess.

Posted: 2014-06-14 23:06
Lynn,

I had a lot of trouble with L, P and R. I had to do a lot of training on Morse Machine with just these letters and once I felt I had them well memorized and differentiated, I then created a custom Code Group and did some 1 minute drills with just these 3 letters. I started with a low effective speed and then increased the effective speed as my accuracy increased above 90% until I was at my target speed. I then went back to the Test Lessons.

I also found that I can distinguish the dits and dahs better at a lower tone. I set my tone at 600 Hz and lowered the volume going into my headset to minimize distortion -- which interfered with a clean dit or dah sound in my ears. Play around with the tone -- try it higher or lower than the default to see what works best for your ears and then also play around with the volume on your computer to minimize any distortion coming out of the speakers in your headset. I had my volume higher than I really needed and this was causing distortion that made it difficult to hear the dits and dahs cleanly between these characters.

I also found I needed a very quiet room to concentrate at this lower volume (low distortion) setting. That's what has worked from me.

Best of luck! Keep at it!

Mike
W9MIC

Posted: 2014-06-19 04:57
I used software called quick morse previously. They used the phrase:

A light is lit

As a phonetic version of the cw for the letter l

Posted: 2014-08-28 14:37
yes it had happen to me. i just get my speed slow down. from 20&5 to 20&8 and now 20&5.that is my base line.i thought i shoud remember the letter first and then make the speed faster.

Posted: 2014-08-28 14:39
L P R Y Q these five letters are big trouble for me...

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.